Contacting Salons about Jobs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xInaGhoulina

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've decided that I am going to try to get into a better salon than the chain salon i am currently working for. My question is, is it okay to contact them through their websites via email to get info, or should I walk into the salon and just give them a resume? I've done the latter before and just recieved catty glares from the stylists/receptionists, so is it considered 'kosher' to email them for info about apprenticeships/styling positions to let them know i am interested, or would a walk-in be more professional? i know that managers are generally very busy, so im unsure where to go. here is an example of an email i sent to one salon already-

Hello, my name is Kristina Worley, and I have a few questions about apprenticeship at your salon. I have been out of beauty school for 2 years now, and I am looking to leave my current salon in pursuit of a salon where I can learn, grow my career, and be the best stylist that I can be. I was hoping I could get some information about becoming a stylist at [Salon Name], since beauty school I have heard many amazing things about your salon, and I would love to work/apprentice for you. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to contact me Via-Email or by Phone. Thank you for your time!

Kristina (Ina) Worley
123-555-1234
[email protected]

Personally I would go in and leave a cv. I would prefer a future member of staff to make an effort in coming into my salon. Also make sure you look your best, clean tidy hair and make up. I've lost track of people with dirty or scraped up hair who haven't made the effort so haven't got the job. First impressions count and you don't get that with an email. Good luck!x

For me, a well worded email, with good spelling and grammar is absolutely fine.

However, txt and Facebook full of bad grammar and txt speak is not! You wouldn't believe some of the messages I get asking for jobs. People are forgetting first impressions.

Personally I would go in and leave a cv. I would prefer a future member of staff to make an effort in coming into my salon. Also make sure you look your best, clean tidy hair and make up. I've lost track of people with dirty or scraped up hair who haven't made the effort so haven't got the job. First impressions count and you don't get that with an email. Good luck!x

This is great advice, but only works if the owner or manager is working in the salon to receive the CV, otherwise it needs to 'get past the gatekeeper'.

Another approach you can try in salons where the owner/manager works, is to book in for a wash and blowdry with them. You're paying for their time, but you get a whole half hour to 'audition yourself'. It's an unusual approach, but if you're honest with them and say, "I booked in today for a wash and blowdry so I could get some time to tell you about myself and hopefully get your guidance on how I can move further in my career" they will be thrilled not to have to talk about the weather. LOL.

For me, a well worded email, with good spelling and grammar is absolutely fine.

However, txt and Facebook full of bad grammar and txt speak is not! You wouldn't believe some of the messages I get asking for jobs. People are forgetting first impressions.

^Totally agree with this.

Also, if you can call the salon first and find out the name of the person who is responsible for hiring, you can address the email to them personally. Looks so much nicer than just "Hi".

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back