Contra-indication - Chemo & Drs notes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyByJulia

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just after a bit of info/advise really as I am a mobile therapist and have had a lady contact me for a bit of pampering (luxury manicure and pedicure and 1/2 leg wax) but she has just informed me that she is going through chemo and her skin is really dry and nails are brittle hence why she wants the treatments.

Obviously cancer is a big contra indication and with these treatments I will be stimulating the blood flow with waxing and massage so I will be asking her to check with her dr to check she is ok to have these treatments but I was just wondering if you would be happy to do her treatments just on her drs say so or would you request a letter written from her dr?

Also if anyone has any advise on the best way to say this to a client as I want to be as tactful as possible but be straight with her at the same time???

Thanks

Julia

Just say that your insurance requires a letter which it probably would do anyway.
Remember many cancer patients are offered treatments as part of their treatment usually by volunteer therapists in the hospital so you will be fine to do them without fear of spreading the cancer around which some people think can happen with massage etc and is rubbish mainly due to old fashioned ideas about how cancer can spread.Anything that lifts spirits and helps anxiety is a positive thing.

ok thanks, I didnt know that, and to be honest I have to admit that I was under the impression that massage etc could possibly spread it (think it gets drummed into you at college!)

i would ring the insurance company first to check if they do actually require you to get a doctors note, most of them do i'm sure but if not it would save time and I have heard of some Dr's actually charging £25-£30 for a note to say that it's safe.

Just an idea

:hug:

xx

Of course you have to be careful and use common sense but its a shame to treat all cancer sufferers as imediately contra indicated.There may be times when there are somethings that wouldnt be wise if for instance later in chemo when they maybe at risk from infection dont go using nippers on them ie in a manicure pedicure they probably wont have any hair too wax after a while anyway but it helps to see a therapist and get some ideas about how to pencil in eyebrows use eyeliner and what with, that kind of thing.
You wouldnt want to be doing deep tissue massage or massaging over any areas where they have had radiotherapy or surgery but there is always treatments you can do like foot and hand massages.Reiki is very popular and facials.
Also be aware that they shouldnt be exposed to colds and infections so if you feel grotty ever then you dont do them.

Latest posts

Back