Cost per service of Shellac vs OPI?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decadence

Reaction score
We have been looking at the cost of OPI Gel Colour compaired to Shellac, we have had the cost per service emailed through from S2, and when I Phoned Leena White yesterday the said that the cost per service was a 7th of the cost of Shellac, this cant be right surely ? the bottles are more expensive althought slightly bigger, the lamp is much more expensive etc.
Im sure the girl must have got it wrong could someone PM us or email us the breakdown if they had it, i should of asked the girl to email it through doh.

kind regards
[email protected]

We have been looking at the cost of OPI Gel Colour compaired to Shellac, we have had the cost per service emailed through from S2, and when I Phoned Leena White yesterday the said that the cost per service was a 7th of the cost of Shellac, this cant be right surely ? the bottles are more expensive althought slightly bigger, the lamp is much more expensive etc.
Im sure the girl must have got it wrong could someone PM us or email us the breakdown if they had it, i should of asked the girl to email it through doh.

kind regards
[email protected]

I don't think they are slightly bigger, they are more than double the size 15ml OPI against 7.3ml Shellac.

A 7th of the price sounds a bit too much though. Gelish apparently is 60 colour applications per 15ml bottle, I assume OPI will be much the same. Perhaps you can work it out with applications per bottle figures.

7x?! That doesn't sound right. I use Gelish and Shellac and the price per service is slightly more for Shellac - but not much more and certainly not 7x more. I wonder sometimes if other brands take into account the removal costs as part of the service and assume Shellac removal wraps for shellac and foil and cotton for their own brand? This would make a fair bit of difference though still no where near 7x!

I currently use Gelcolor by OPI

I'm just about to open a beauty room in Milton Keynes within a Hairdresser's and the other nail tech they employed used shallac so i'm going to offer both as they are fully stocked with CND shellac and i have all the Gelcolor items.

I'm currently trying to work out the cost of shellac if you know that that would be helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies but please remove the prices as this is a open forum that anyone can see, and none of us want that, if you give me your email I will email it to you
Many thanks

Oh yeah... I have removed the prices ;)

My email is sheldonbeautygmail.com thank you x

I was told by the Lena white rep that you get 80 applications per bottle. Not sure if this is right if cnd are the same size and you only get 60. Hth :)

I was told by the Lena white rep that you get 80 applications per bottle. Not sure if this is right if cnd are the same size and you only get 60. Hth :)

You get 35 applications with shellac base coat and 20 per colour/top coat with the 7.3ml bottles.
OPI says 90 sets with gelcolor base, 80 colour and 100 top coat with 15 ml bottles.

Would someone send me the cost per service for opi too please :) and also gelish if possible. i have shellac cost per service already :) cheers

You get 90 sets from the OPI colours.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can that be right if Shellac colour is 20 but for double that sized bottle with OPI you get 80??

You get 35 applications with shellac base coat and 20 per colour/top coat with the 7.3ml bottles.
OPI says 90 sets with gelcolor base, 80 colour and 100 top coat with 15 ml bottles.

I never understand these sorts of figures. Assuming each colour takes two coats, does "80 colour" mean 80 clients or 40 clients? Also on my training we were told the base coat should be thin. So I don't understand how you get less applications in a 15ml base coat than a 15ml top coat. I am confused but I would like to know the approximate application costs for Gelish and OPI.

I never understand these sorts of figures. Assuming each colour takes two coats, does "80 colour" mean 80 clients or 40 clients? Also on my training we were told the base coat should be thin. So I don't understand how you get less applications in a 15ml base coat than a 15ml top coat. I am confused but I would like to know the approximate application costs for Gelish and OPI.

Perhaps because you apply base coat thinner than topcoat??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

CND have worked out the cost per service for you with a very generous structure! They say you get 20 coats/10 clients from one bottle of colour now we all know we get far more than that! But just incase we don't they like to have a healthy estimate! The CPS includes not only base top and colour but all pep and removal!! I think quoting a 7th aiming abit high! However if you ring S2 they will send you a CPS sheet so you can work out which bits you need to know for yourself :)

Perhaps because you apply base coat thinner than topcoat??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's my point. It says 90 base coat and 100 top coat. Shouldn't you get more base coats because its thinner???

OPI - .5oz bottle - Pure gel
CND - .25oz bottle - Hybrid gel
Gelish - .5oz bottle - Hybrid gel

Theoretically if OPI says you can get 80sets and CND is half the bottle size you should be able to get 40sets. Right? Or if CND clams 20sets then OPI should be 40sets. Well I think its more complicated than that.

Okay, so the OPI Bottle is twice the size and clams to get 80 full sets. This is because the pure gel formula.The product doesn't get thick inside the bottle to the point where you cant use it. So this number is probably true for the color and top coat. With the base coat OPI clams 80 full sets as well. Now this I don't think is correct at all. The base coat is a hybrid gel and gets thick every time you open it. I can probably get 60 sets max.

What is a hybrid gel??? Open your bottles and smell them. Does it smell like nail polish? That's because it is a hybrid gel. They mix nail polish with gel. So what happens to your regular nail polish after time? It gets thick because it begins to dry every time you open the bottle. Same thing with the Hybrid gels.

So the amount of applications per bottle are not even close! Because the hybrids tend to get so thick that it becomes difficult to use. And applying thinner is not recommended by any company at the moment. It breaks down the product and it isn't as strong.

In the states the cost per application plus removal of OPI is about $xx.xx in Europe and UK I would think the cost per application and removal is at least double that. Considering the shipping and handling cost, Import tax, ect.

ANYWAYS, That is just my 2 cents. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Would someone mind messaging me the cost per service for opi gelcolor and gelish (I am ready have shellac cps). Many thanks in advance :)

That's my point. It says 90 base coat and 100 top coat. Shouldn't you get more base coats because its thinner???

OPI base coat thickens with time and their top coat doesn't and the actual gel polish doesn't either.
Shellac does thicken up with time so no, you can't use the product till the last drop.
I still prefer Shellac though, even though it's more expensive, it's worth every penny to me :)

Would someone mind messaging me the cost per service for opi gelcolor and gelish (I am ready have shellac cps). Many thanks in advance :)

Pretty please can anyone help?

Latest posts

Back