Could someone check my EE's?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
Had my first go since training last week. Bless my ever patient husband for letting me practise on one of his eyes :) He could only spare 30 minutes so I only managed to get 13 lashes on but is there any glaring issues? (other than being very slow!) I used 9mm .20 C's in the inner corner and 11mm .20 C's everywhere else (I only have these sizes just now have ordered some 0.15 and some B curls). I did an outer, inner, middle, then started building in between.

I know it's not a great pic and it's hard to tell with so few in but just want to check that I'm on the right track. He's going to let me do it again tomorrow and see if I can beat 13 in 30 minutes. At least I'm getting practise at removal too!

I think some of them aren't close enough to the root and a couple have too much glue.

Attachments

• lashes.jpg
    lashes.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 647
It is really hard to tell, because the after picture is blurry, so there is no way of knowing how many stickies you have going on there. Some of them also look like they are not attached very well at the base of the extension. When attaching an extension be sure to approach the natural lash with the eyelash extension at the same angle. This gives you the very best chance to have an awesome bond at the base. Also make sure your glue ball is at the very bottom end of the extension, otherwise you may have the same issue with base attachment.

It will take you many many sets of lashes to achieve the things you were trained, so just keep at it. It will come with plenty of practice.

I would really just be concentrating on technique first rather than speed. Speed really just comes with time as you will have mastered your technique by then and will naturally require a faster setting glue.*
Personally, I think you are using too much glue. The reason why Semi Perm lashes are so popular, is that they look natural. If glue is visible then obviously defeats the purpose! When applying glue, swipe across the natural lash so that it is evenly distributed, then blot off excess glue on your eye pad. Slide the donar lash down the natural lash, 1mm away from the lashline, then hold in position. Make sure your lashes are pointing in the right direction before moving onto next lash otherwise the final look will appear messy.
Remember, too much glue will take even longer to dry. Get the right amount and your speed will naturally pick up.*
Practice, practice, practice makes perfect! Good luck and happy lashing!*

Had another go today. (Do I have the most patient husband ever?) I used less glue but think I need even less- some of the bonds at the base still aren't great- they're a bit messy (I find it REALLY hard to change the direction of the natural lash!) so they look stuck together but they weren't (I brushed through a few times at the end and made sure they were all separate so the clumpy looking bits are just where I need to learn how to straighten the direction of the natural lashes I think). This is 30 lashes so a half set? (took me an hour to do this one eye!)

Any pointers welcome. Not even thinking of doing it on real life customers until I can get them looking perfect (or close to) Got 2 friends coming next week for me to have a go on and won't have to take them straight back off like with the husband :biggrin: I have noticed though that they look nice when the eye is open even if they look a bit scruffy in pics like this so hopefully the girls will be chuffed next week even if they aren't perfect.

Attachments

• PicMonkey Collage.jpg
    PicMonkey Collage.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 377
I'm fairly new to this myself but think you're doing well, it is practise practise practise and I find I use a bit too much glue as get the stickies, have just received a sample of a faster drying so hoping this helps me. Also, know how you feel regarding the direction!!! Its a mare, but we will get there. I just wanted to say how fab I think your hubbie is for letting you do this, bless him! xxx

He's been a total star letting me practise everything on him, letting me spend a small fortune on course and kit and stuff. Santa is bringing him a surprise Wii U as a thank you :)

I'm determined to get the hang of lashing because I'm loving doing it. I love how much of a difference it makes to the appearance it's so satisfying.

Yes, I think a bit too much glue. It looks like you are wiping quite a lot of excess on the gel pads so you are probably picking up too much when you swipe the lash through the glue. Or, it may just be that the glue is a thick consistency. What type of glue is it?

I also think you need to concentrate on getting a nice clean bond at the base. It's not too bad when you are only applying a small amount of lashes but if they are messy at the base, this will cause problems when you are doing fuller sets.

When you are attaching the lash, give a little shimmy by sliding the extension up and down then press down ever so slightly so you are very gently pushing the extension down onto the natural lash. This will create a much stronger bond.

I think these lashes look pretty good for a newbie. You obviously want to be the best and, bless your husband. My bloke had 10 lashes applied and removed every time I saw him when I first started. The things our men do!

Thank you for the tips I'm scared to fiddle too much with the base because I'm scared I'll go too close and get them stuck on the eyelid but I'm hoping that's something that will get better with practise. I can tell when I'm doing them that I'm sticking the wrong part of the extension first (if that makes sense) I'm sticking the mid part instead of the base so have been trying to stop that.

The glue is the iLash glue that came in my kit it is pretty thick nd takes FOREVER to dry. Definitely going to look into trying some other brands once this bottle is finished. It isn't fumey though which I do like (well I can't smell anything from it and it doesn't seem to sting the husbands eyes when he opens them).

Thanks again. Going to do his lashes again tomorrow then got his sister and my mate roped in for practise next week too. I can see I've improved from my first go so that helps and I'm definitely finding isolating easier already. I keep getting glue on my tweezers and then the lash sticks to them instead of the natural lash which slows me down so have ordered a 2nd set so I can swap about if I get glue on and clean the other.

If you are getting glue on your tweezers you are either picking the lash up too far down (pick up by the tip only) or you are dipping too far into the glue. Your tweezers should never come into contact with the glue.

As for finding that you are bonding the middle of the lash rather that the base, try tilting the extension up slightly. This will help ensure that the base is bonded rather than the middle

If you are getting glue on your tweezers you are either picking the lash up too far down (pick up by the tip only) or you are dipping too far into the glue. Your tweezers should never come into contact with the glue.

As for finding that you are bonding the middle of the lash rather that the base, try tilting the extension up slightly. This will help ensure that the base is bonded rather than the middle

Thank you. This site is so much help. I'm definitely picking them up too far down and the tilting thing makes so much sense now you've said it- no idea why that didn't even occur to me!

Hey geeks.

I trained in lash extensions 5 years ago and hated doing them lol. I started up my own salon nearly 3 years ago, and have eventually given in to my clients pleas to do them.

I bought Lashaholic B curl lashes in 10mm and 12mm just to practise with. I know they don't look right, but it was literally just to practise with before I spent a small fortune on the entire range and couldn't get the hang of it.

I don't really enjoy doing lashes, but I'm desperate to get these right and be good at them!! Could any lash experts give my pics a wee look over and give me some advice?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361136748.054598.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361136781.528745.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361136801.566190.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361136815.939901.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361136828.053488.jpg

Some of them are twisted... When I applied them they were straight, but I'm thinking that I mustn't be supporting them for long enough with the tweezers until the glue dries, before moving onto the other eye? Some had a few gaps in their natural lashes... What do you do if this happens? In my training I was told to apply lashes criss-crossed from either side of the surrounding lashes to fill the gap, but I always thought this looked messy?

Thanks in advance xx

The first thing I notice is the lashes you are using on the inner half are too long. I know you are using what you have at the moment but I think you'll find them much easier to work with if shorter and this will help prevent then 'falling' in different directions.
You are on the right path for definite but I think you really need to invest in the right lashes and then it won't seem such a chore to do them and you will improve dramatically!
(Think of it as trying to make a f1 race car out of an old fiesta) :) xx

The first thing I notice is the lashes you are using on the inner half are too long. I know you are using what you have at the moment but I think you'll find them much easier to work with if shorter and this will help prevent then 'falling' in different directions.
You are on the right path for definite but I think you really need to invest in the right lashes and then it won't seem such a chore to do them and you will improve dramatically!
(Think of it as trying to make a f1 race car out of an old fiesta) :) xx

Thank you so much for replying. I'll definitely invest in some shorter ones while I'm still practising. The longer ones in the middle are twisting too, do you think this is me not giving my glue enough time to dry? Xx

Latest posts

Back