Course or no Course please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinaballerina

Reaction score
Hello,

I have done an NVQ Level 2 in Beauty which covered Manicure, I am interested in offering acrylic nails, I do my friends and my own all the time and not being big headed but they are just as good as if you went to a salon.

Anyway my question is, if I have insurance do I really need to go on a acrylics nail course? Is it illegal if I don't?

Many Thanks for your help!

Tina x x x

if your nvq didnt cover acrylic nails, then your insurance will not be valid.

so then if something goes wrong and you get sued, your insurance wont pay out and you will have to pay tens of thousands out yourself.

So no, its not illegal (unfortunately) but its not the best idea.

Also, I don't do nails but I know there are things like infections (I've seen people talking about greenies under the nail before although I dont know what it is...) but unless you have had training you wont know whether thats a safe nail to treat or what advice to give your client.

You might thnk you are good now but think how amazing you will be if you do a course, with all the hints and tips and tricks of the trade?

Also if you wanted to be employed, nobody would employ you with no formal qualifications.

Good luck, ask about on here about courses that suit you, there are so many wonderfully talented nail geeks on here xxx

It's never a good idea to do any treatments without training or insurance even if you have had a go and think they are just as good as work done by someone else. Even though you probably think they are great, chances are they aren't up to the standard from someone who is trained and experienced.

Even friends can turn into enemies and sue you just as much as family members can and as already said, you will not be covered under a policy so any claims that arise will have to be funded out of your own pocket (even all legal costs).

Hello,

I have done an NVQ Level 2 in Beauty which covered Manicure, I am interested in offering acrylic nails, I do my friends and my own all the time and not being big headed but they are just as good as if you went to a salon.

Anyway my question is, if I have insurance do I really need to go on a acrylics nail course? Is it illegal if I don't?

Tina x x x

What others are saying is correct - your insurance doesnt cover you to do acrylics.

Also, how would you feel if someone was cutting and colouring your hair and you find out they werent qualified, just good at it? No too happy i dont think! You would be cheating clients if you are not qualified (and not insured!!)

If you want to do it, do a course and you'll be fine!

if you think you are good already and have a natursl ability with nails then you can only get better with a good course.

You certainly should not work without training and insurance.

You will be putting yourself and clients at risk of over exposure and possible permanent damage by working with something you dont know how to use.

Do you know the signs of over exposure?
Do you know your eponychium from your hyponychium?
How would you deal with a client that has onycholysis- do you treat/ not treat/ adjust treatment?
Would you know a problem that may contra indicate a treatment?
Would you be able to see if something on the nails is indicative of something potentially more serious?

How would you correctly sanitise your workplace and tools between clients?
What file grit would you safely use on a natural nail?

There is a lot more to 'doing nails' then just doing nails.

If your serious about doing it get onto a good course, if not then for your sake as well as clients.... step away from the brush!

if you think you are good already and have a natursl ability with nails then you can only get better with a good course.

You certainly should not work without training and insurance.

You will be putting yourself and clients at risk of over exposure and possible permanent damage by working with something you dont know how to use.

Do you know the signs of over exposure?
Do you know your eponychium from your hyponychium?
How would you deal with a client that has onycholysis- do you treat/ not treat/ adjust treatment?
Would you know a problem that may contra indicate a treatment?
Would you be able to see if something on the nails is indicative of something potentially more serious?

How would you correctly sanitise your workplace and tools between clients?
What file grit would you safely use on a natural nail?

There is a lot more to 'doing nails' then just doing nails.

If your serious about doing it get onto a good course, if not then for your sake as well as clients.... step away from the brush!

Completely hit the nail on the head here, and to think people even dare to trade with no insurance! Will make me think twice before any 'pro' comes near my hair/ nails again! You defo need insurance hun!xxx

Thank you for your comments, I wouldn't dream of doing any treatments on a client if I had to go on a course to get qualified.

I've just heard of people doing it without going on a course so just wondered!

:D

youll be 100 times better (and more confident) than those who dont bother with a course. good luck xx

Thank you for your comments, I wouldn't dream of doing any treatments on a client if I had to go on a course to get qualified.

I've just heard of people doing it without going on a course so just wondered!

:D

Hello,

Tina x x x

Now not to be rude Tina but you just contradicted yourself hun, you said you wouldnt dream of doing it on a client yet in your first post you said you do your friends nails all the time and they are just as good as if you went to a salon.
Doing your own nails is fine if you want to run the risk of overexposure, bacterial infections and any other problems you may encounter, but you said you are doing your friends does she realise the risk she is taking by having you do them for her?
Hun if you are truely serious about doing this as a business then as the others have said get yourself booked on a course what happens if, god forbids, your friend ends up (worst case scenario) losing her own natural nail or incurring permanent damage that you, yourself have caused because you are not correctly or properly trained or insured, without qualification you are leaving yourself wide open to personal financial ruin if she ever claimed against you. Plus would find it either difficult to ever get insurance again or will be paying for that mistake with heafty premiums, plus you could lose a friend. It really isnt worth it.
There is some excellent training available to you out there, I personally find brand specific training to be probably the best way to go for yourself.
CND do and excellent foundation course ring sweet squared for details on 08452106060 or go to www.sweetsquared.com or search on here for training info there are other companies out there but I have ended up converting to CND as imho they are the best for mine and my clients needs and globally recognised.
HTH Good luck with whichever path you choose to take:hug:
Jen xxxx

Latest posts

Back