Covering Grey Hair with dark hair and wanted lightening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairdresser18

Reaction score
hi guys can u help me? i have a client that has grey hair and her base shade is a 7 so she has grey hair and the brown shade, and she wants to go up to a 10. i use majirel so do i put 20 vol peroxide on her roots then 30 vol peroxide on her lengths and ends and wil it make the colour even? i already did her hair and put 30 vol all over her hair with an 10.01 and a 10 and turned out fine but should i only put 20 vol on her roots for a touch up now?
please reply
Thanks
Natasha

Hi I would do the roots with 9% as you did before to get the 3 shades lift that you require and depending on how much fade you have on the mid lengths I would comb through for the last 5 mins. I have a client who is a natural level 6 with 40% grey and I was using 9.17 Wella with 12% and I just changed to 9.1 to kill some of the warmth. It doesn't cover the grey just blends it which she doesn't mind and is a lovely colour. Hope this helps;)

hi, you ONLY need 6% max on grey hair! if the hair is already white naturally you do not need to lift anything out!!! all u are doing is depositing colour and covering grey! hth x

im sorry to say but i think u need a re-fresh colour course!
Hi I would do the roots with 9% as you did before to get the 3 shades lift that you require and depending on how much fade you have on the mid lengths I would comb through for the last 5 mins. I have a client who is a natural level 6 with 40% grey and I was using 9.17 Wella with 12% and I just changed to 9.1 to kill some of the warmth. It doesn't cover the grey just blends it which she doesn't mind and is a lovely colour. Hope this helps;)

hey thanks so should i just use 6% now just to cover her roots when she needs it since i used 9%.
so if a woman has brown hair with 40% white should i colour the roots with a 6% and if the hair is dark use a higher peroxide on the mid lengths and ends?
cheers

OK so if you are wanting to cover grey I would always use 6% however in this case how do you get 3 shades lift with 6%? The client is a level 7 and wants to go to a level 10!

To be honest, you will get enough lift with 6% plus better colour deposit on the white hair. Let the ammonia in the colour do the work rather than blasting it with 9%. What happens with using a higher volume peroxide is you get a yellow straw look rather than tonal blonde on grey hair.

I agree with you will get better coverage on the white with the 6% but not sure about the lift. I took the advice of Wella when I spoke to them on lifting and blending grey on my client.

ok thanks for your help i will remember that you only use 6% to cover grey hair.

this will be absolutely fine to cover the grey and blend her natural base 7. u dont not need to lift this at all! u will have a more natural affect!:D
ok thanks for your help i will remember that you only use 6% to cover grey hair.

also i have to correct something else above, if her lengths have faded a little u do not comb though with 9% as u will be lifting (fading) it even more! just freshen it up maybe every other time with a semi. even if u comb though with 6% u will be slightly lifting, as there will be no grey in the lengths and ends u do not this level of developer, 1.5% is all u need to deposite colour! hth:D

but since i already put 9% all over when i retouch her roots should i just put 6% on thereafter?

yes stick with 6% on the roots and then freshen up the lengths with a semi, u already have the desired lift so all u have to do is use a tone on tone.

Latest posts

Back