CRB check?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knucks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I am planning on doing kids birthday parties and parties coming up to Christmas.

Do I need to be CRB checked to work on the childrens nails?

I wouldn't have thought so but just want to check.

Thanks
x

Think you have to have a CRB when working with children in any capacity

Hi, yes will need a CRB check, you need to go on the web site and apply, I have to have one for my day job x

Strictly speaking, yes you need an enhanced disclosure if your work brings you into contact with children or vulnerable groups (ie those with learning disabilities). My husband teaches karate so he has one every 3 years, though I have never had one myself. I dont do "princess parties" so the thought of having one has never occurred to me though if you do childrens parties it may be a good idea to have one. There are also rules about the adult to child ratio that must be maintained.

CRB helpline is 08709090811

Thanks everyone, I will certainly look into it before going ahead.

Hi Geeks

I am planning on doing kids birthday parties and parties coming up to Christmas.

Do I need to be CRB checked to work on the childrens nails?

I wouldn't have thought so but just want to check.

Thanks
x
You don't need a CRB check if they childrens parents or one parent is there. You will also find that unless you work for a company that is registered to obtain CRB checks you will not be able to get one. Members of the public cannot just apply for a CRB check. HTH

As Williams has said, unless you are solely taking care of the children (ie no parents) , you do not need a crb.

Ah thank you so much!! That's good news cos I was wondering about how I was going to get one! I can crack on with the advertising now.

Thanks again x:biggrin:

It would seem a bit strange having to have one.

If you had any convictions meaning you shouldn't be working with kids, I would hope you knew that already. In effect you will be applying for a bot of paper that tells you what you already knew.

Are you not going to give yourself a job if you fail?

I can see the benefit for employers, but in this case it would seem riduclous if they insisted you had one.

my thoughts

It would seem a bit strange having to have one.

If you had any convictions meaning you shouldn't be working with kids, I would hope you knew that already. In effect you will be applying for a bot of paper that tells you what you already knew.

Are you not going to give yourself a job if you fail?

I can see the benefit for employers, but in this case it would seem riduclous if they insisted you had one.

my thoughts

A CRB check is your evidence to show people that are considering employing you that you are safe to work with children. Anyone arranging a Princess Party in their home or maybe where the kids will be alone with therapists might want to see it.
IMO it's simply good practice and demonstrates professionalism; it's something to reference on a website or advert.

An enhanced CRB doesn't just show convictions. It lists fines, cautions etc whether spent or otherwise.

You will also find that unless you work for a company that is registered to obtain CRB checks you will not be able to get one. Members of the public cannot just apply for a CRB check. HTH

If someone is self employed they can actually apply for a CRB check but they have to do this through an agency.

I have an enhanced CRB which is needed in my other job and supplied by British gymnastics.
I keep this with my NVQ certificates and my insurance certificates too.. Just incase anyone should request seeing them.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone asked, I would consider it good parental practise, personally.
I know if I were to book anything for my child and working with them I'd want to check too... Maybe I only think this cause of my line of work?? Who knows!

As far as I understand it a crb isn't 'yours' it's valid to the position you're in, so I have a crb from my other job working with kids but if I switched to another job working in school I'd need another crb as its only valid /linked to each employer I worked with.

Also, I don't think I need a crb for princess parties as there's no way I'm being left alone with these kids - another adult present at all time. Not because I need a crb but because I am not responsible for the welfare of these kids, heaven forbid anything happens to them, I'm not the responsible adult nor am I a registered childcare worker. Need to be vigilant about this!!

As far as I understand it a crb isn't 'yours' it's valid to the position you're in, so I have a crb from my other job working with kids but if I switched to another job working in school I'd need another crb as its only valid /linked to each employer I worked with.

It's actually the complete opposite of this, the CRB check belongs to the individual not the employer.

An employer may request one for the job and pay for it but the document is sent to the individual and it is theirs to keep. You should only show a copy to the employer and they make a note of the reference number.
Depending on the organisation/ employer policy and the job involved you can supply an 'old' CRB however they might ask you to have a new one if for example, yours is less than a year old.

E.g. I've just recruited some social workers for an organisation and their policy is if a CRB has been done within 6 months they will accept this, otherwise they require new ones.

Thank you all for your comments, just to clarify...

I have just called the Criminal Records Bureau and was told that we do not need a crb check as there will be a responsible adult/supervisor/parent present.

So we have a private arrangement with that person and a crb is not required.

Phew, there we are, now we know for future.
x

It's actually the complete opposite of this, the CRB check belongs to the individual not the employer.

An employer may request one for the job and pay for it but the document is sent to the individual and it is theirs to keep. You should only show a copy to the employer and they make a note of the reference number.
Depending on the organisation/ employer policy and the job involved you can supply an 'old' CRB however they might ask you to have a new one if for example, yours is less than a year old.

E.g. I've just recruited some social workers for an organisation and their policy is if a CRB has been done within 6 months they will accept this, otherwise they require new ones.

Wow this is not what I've been told be every employer I've been with! I do have each copy of the crb but was told I needed one for each employer, as they can't be transferred.

It's a shame, given what you've said, that folks can't just up & get their own then. Seems it would make things much easier! Xx

^^ Same here PixieBeauty - I work in the NHS but have always needed a new CRB for every hospital/trust I've ever worked for. Seems crazy, but apparently the rationale behind it is that the info is only accurate on the day the report is issued. So every new employer has to satisfy themselves that everything is as it should be, so to speak.

^^ Same here PixieBeauty - I work in the NHS but have always needed a new CRB for every hospital/trust I've ever worked for. Seems crazy, but apparently the rationale behind it is that the info is only accurate on the day the report is issued. So every new employer has to satisfy themselves that everything is as it should be, so to speak.

That's exactly how understood it too. I guess the are some myths out there! I'd still call crb myself to find out if I needed to!
I also like that each of my employers has been thorough. There could be any number of reasons why someone is leaving employment why would you not do it? Xx

That's exactly how understood it too. I guess the are some myths out there! I'd still call crb myself to find out if I needed to!
I also like that each of my employers has been thorough. There could be any number of reasons why someone is leaving employment why would you not do it? Xx

The guidance is on the Home Office website if you want it. It will also be on the direct.gov website

Organisations can set their own guidelines around whether they require a brand new CRB or whether they will accept existing ones and then risk assess the likelihood of someone having committed an offence since their last one. This is obviously a cheaper option especially for those companies that have a high turnover....

What I find surprising is the organisations that don't ask for checks to be done regularly. There are plenty of people who become employed and then are never subject to regular or repeat checks.

Latest posts

Back