Creams that dont just sit ontop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
hey skin experts !!! :hug:

ok...i see loads of creams a lotions that claim to do this and that....but how many and which ones would you say really do ???

i cant help thinking that many don't even really sink into the skin to do any good and just sit on the skin.....

i also think yeah great while its on..can see a difference in my skin, but what about when i wash it off...nothings changed or improved...its like a optical illusion.

so what are the ingredients/products to look out for that can actually penetrate and do something for your skin....are there any ??

i just see so many and think yeah yeah...alot of money for not alot of difference...now i don't mean to wipe years off me...(thats too much to ask..i ain't unreasonable)...but to improve skin texture...brightness...etc

I am using olay's regenerist range at the moment....any good...?

I am talking about home care here ... would be nice to go to a salon every morning and night to have my skin cleansed and cared for but reality is another thing...:lol:

I have had facials and had products recommended to me...but of course they are going to be promoting the products they use...and i just wonder if thats always the best thing ???

Have used decleor...ellimis...feel lovely...smell adorable...but are they really doing anything that the others dont...?

lots of questions and thoughts ... sorry...but look forward to your replies. xx

I have said it before and ill say it again stepping up to a salon brand will always be a better choice than a high street one because not only the higher grade of activity of the ingredients but the research and development that goes into that brand.

You mentioned different ingredients to look out for.
I always favor a brand that is lanolin,mineral oil free although a little mineral oil is not always a bad thing as cosmetic grade is different to industrial grade.

Essential oils,plant ,marine,fruit and bio-technical ingredients are another to look out for.
ALWAYS look on the labels if you want to see whats in it.I know it can be baffling but if you see some words you don't understand this is "jargon".
Vitamins A,c,e are another thing to look out for,but again this could be jargon.
i.e vit a is retynol palmitate which is buffered vit.a.
vit c is ascorbic acid(which alone is a very volatile vitamin so even that is in low quantities)
vit e is tocopheryl acetate,which even that is not pure vit e.

The ingredients listing is a mine field and im no expert

However if you are happy using something stick with it,you say you used Elemis.
I do Elemis in my salon and have seen some great results but i will say on not ALL skin conditions,so i am honest:!:

At present my skins been red and upset on my t zone due to stress and Elemis could not touch it and ive tried a cream from French skincare Yon ka.
Ive been astounded that it has cleared it up in 2 days,well 99%.
The ingredients in this is VERY active,yes there is a small percentage of preservatives but then a product like this needs a little as it is an active product to stabilize the ingredients and make the shelf life of the product longer.

Am i confusing you?
i hope not i could talk about this for much longer,but i hope its been useful:hug:

I'm still on a steep learning curve about skin, but you are right, most products do just sit on the surface and don't penetrate much at all. Nimue is a dermacosmeceutical brand and products penetrate into the Dermis which is deeper into the skin and where collagen and elastin are produced for example.

However remember exfoliation is key as otherwise all you are doing is moisturising the surface dead cells.

I have to agree about the exfoliation being the key problem with a lot of peoples skin care regime. Unfortunatly the skins ability to renew itself slows down as we age and this results in dull, uneven texture and lines appear more prominant. The best way to counteract this is to use a mild exfoliator very regularly. The underneath skin is much younger, fresher looking and once you have exfoliated THEN you should use your moisturiser. otherwise the dead skin cells prevent the moisturiser being absorbed properly.
You can get different types of exfoliation products manual and chemical.
Manual ones are things like face scrubs etc and chemical ones are when products like a toner contain a small percentage of acid to sweep away dead skin cells.
One product that is brilliant for exfoliation is total turnaround mask and total turnaround cream by clinique. I know clinique has had some bad press about being harsh but i dissagree. The problem is a lot of people either get wrongly advised or are not using the right strength products for there skin type. What suits one person might not suit another etc.
The comments in a previous post about the clarifying lotion getting biro off made me laugh and i'm sure it did that is probably because this product contains salysilic acid in tiny amounts this helps to remove the dead skincells. It is also contains antibacterial properties and is the main product in the range which gives your skin a great glow. (hth and i'm sure i will be shot down for being a clinique fan ) xxx

(hth and i'm sure i will be shot down for being a clinique fan ) xxx

Nope you are right - it is very much horses for courses and what suits one person can have an adverse effect for another. It is very much about getting to know your own skin and what ingredients aggravates it and what works. I didn't like their soap or toner, but I did like their Dramaticlly difference moisturiser which others have said didn't work for them. Plus I think each brand probably has a hero and a zero product. If their products didn't work for people at all then they wouldn't still be here, but personally I don't rate it as being sold as a product pushed at sensitive and very delicate skins.

I do exfoliate (probally too much)....but i just love that feeling of fresh new skin...:lol: x

I do exfoliate (probally too much)....but i just love that feeling of fresh new skin...:lol: x

you shouldnt exfoliate more than once a week really !

But obviously cleanse tone moisturise am & pm.

You could do apply a mask weekly to.

What is your method of exfoliating ( still a good scrub with a rough towel:?: )

My sister in law was scrubbing and scrubbing her face daily with a really harsh astringent TRYING TO GET IT CLEAN:eek: and wondered why her ace was so dry and sensitive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the olay regenerist the one with the 'pentapeptides' i thought it was poop its like a film that just sits on the skin.

I love the liz earl cleanse and polish.....followed by solar oil or clarins oil, suits me and my skin is pukka !

amb x

To be honest Angie, I've stopped using face creams and I'm just using essential oils on my face at the mo. Bio oil is a good example. Its light and dont find it too greasy. The oil certainly sinks in without too much of an oily residue.

Only exfoliate once weekly, you can alternate between a grainy or smooth exfoliator (yes, there are some for senstivie skin). I think the grainy ones can make your skin a bit sensitive if used too often.

I know what you mean about stuff sitting on your face though!

Wow some great advice in this thread.

I agree with much of what has been posted already.

I would add; Most Mineral oils, Petrolatums and paraffins will sit on top and are derivatives of petroleum...I personally don't like them. JMHO :)

Polishing or exfoliating is a must...different skin types as well as your climate, age and even the type of job you have can have a direct effect on how much you should exfoliate. getting to know you skin and taking the time to find Products that you LOVE is key. If you have products you love you will use them regularly.

I love Skin Boosters or Serums...I've been using one or another for 25 years.
These are used right after cleansing (skin is fresh and clean) under you moisturizer. And there are many different types of Boosters available...depending on your skin type.

Here are some great ingredients to look for:

1) Collagen stimulation and more collagen stimulation! longer collagen fibers are the key. So what does skin need to produce a longer and healthier collagen fiber? HYALURONIC ACID & OMEGA 3's!

2) Skin naturally depletes of hyaluronic acid as it ages and omega 3's must come from outside sources since the body does not produce them - yet most of us do very little to enhance both.

3) Copper Peptides
re-establish blood vessels to skin cells that in turn stimulates cell growth of skin. Newer and tighter skin in just weeks is the result.

4) 24 karat gold to gently detoxify cells of harmful toxins in the skin that pollute and damage skin resulting in premature aging.
24 karat gold flakes disappear into the skin and purify. Most manufacturers consider the cost too great to use gold even though the results are excellent.

Routine and Consistency is the KEY to Great Skin, no matter what skin type you have. Just like any other routine you perform everyday..brushing and flossing your teeth, eating healthy food, regular exercise, and just bathing...the skin on you face is no different, take good care of it you won't be sorry.

Most of you on this site can get PROFESSIONAL Skin Products at Cost!
And in many cases this is just as...or more cost effective as Clinique, Oil of Olay (both of which have synthetic ingredients).

If you don't have access or you don't know what to use this is the place to ask questions.

The sooner you start taking good care of your largest body organ, the better happier you will be. I promise. :smack: :)

Wow...24 karat gold to exfoliate with,id rather wear it than put it on my skin:eek: :!:
Im on the fence when it comes to mineral oils,and ive never really seen it as a carrying agent in many of the skincarelines ive worked with in salon or spas.
The one or 2 i have seen in professional lines is rare and the quality and efficacy of the ingredients together with the research and development that has gone inyo ceartin brands i have respect for.

When i hear of really scientific ingredients that i could not pronounce i remain sceptical.

Skin is skin and it needs oxygen,vitamins angood old fashioned nutrients together with glucose and water to function:) :green:

I agree with you Beauty guru ...Skin is skin, but all products aren't equal.

It's good to be skeptical...but some of the newer ingredients are amazing. Even dermatologists are touting the benefits of Hyaluronic Acid.

I suppose it's about having products that work. And if your current products are doing the job for you and you love using them....Hoo-rah! (as Al Pachino would say...sorry we just watched that movie "Scent of a Woman" again the other night. lol) If your current products are not working...well then you have a little research to do, simply because you don't want to waste your money.:wink2:

The 24 karat gold is in a Serum...ask JD about it she's used it for a few weeks now. :green: Cheers, Soph

I agree with you Beauty guru ...Skin is skin, but all products aren't equal.

It's good to be skeptical...but some of the newer ingredients are amazing. Even dermatologists are touting the benefits of Hyaluronic Acid.

I suppose it's about having products that work. And if your current products are doing the job for you and you love using them....Hoo-rah! (as Al Pachino would say...sorry we just watched that movie "Scent of a Woman" again the other night. lol) If your current products are not working...well then you have a little research to do, simply because you don't want to waste your money.:wink2:

The 24 karat gold is in a Serum...ask JD about it she's used it for a few weeks now. :green: Cheers, Soph
I would recommend if your skin products are not working for you take a trip round various beauty salons,ask for samples,have a skin analysis.

The therapist can recommend what is best for YOUR skin,we are all different with different needs,what may suit one may not necessarily suit another.

I use Darphin products and I love them,someone else might not like them on their skin(cant think why though,lol)I also use Eve Taylor products.Both are aroma based.

I am a real believer in products that contain plant and fruit extracts,I dont want a mish mash of chemicals on my skin that will dry it out excessively.I look for products that contain Vits A,D AND E.Antioxidants and are lanolin free.Collagen and elastin based products are great for the skin as are many other things,as I said each individual has their own specific needs.

I know salon products are not cheap in comparrison to shop products but the research into these products and ingredients has to be paid for somehow.

Try buying a product a month that way it wont be too hard on your pocket.The products are very concentrated so they last and last unlike your shop brought products.

Where does "collagen" come from and does the molecule sit on the surface of the skin id like to know.
It must do,the molecule must be too larege,and is that why you getingredients that are "hydrolysed" as in wheat proteins so that they can then go into the epidermis ....its got me wondering??:confused:

Where does "collagen" come from and does the molecule sit on the surface of the skin id like to know.
It must do,the molecule must be too larege,and is that why you getingredients that are "hydrolysed" as in wheat proteins so that they can then go into the epidermis ....its got me wondering??:confused:

I know certain collagen products are made up from vegetable collagen via leaves/fruits from the Australian Agacia Tree,products containing NATIVE collagen are from animal derivatives.
A lot of products do just sit on the skin,thats why I like to use serums rather than creams as they tend to be absorbed better than creams.This is also why exfoliating first is important,allows the products to penetrate better and deeper.

I would recommend if your skin products are not working for you take a trip round various beauty salons,ask for samples,have a skin analysis.

The therapist can recommend what is best for YOUR skin,we are all different with different needs,what may suit one may not necessarily suit another.

I use Darphin products and I love them,someone else might not like them on their skin(cant think why though,lol)I also use Eve Taylor products.Both are aroma based.

I am a real believer in products that contain plant and fruit extracts,I dont want a mish mash of chemicals on my skin that will dry it out excessively.I look for products that contain Vits A,D AND E.Antioxidants and are lanolin free.Collagen and elastin based products are great for the skin as are many other things,as I said each individual has their own specific needs.

I know salon products are not cheap in comparrison to shop products but the research into these products and ingredients has to be paid for somehow.

Try buying a product a month that way it wont be too hard on your pocket.The products are very concentrated so they last and last unlike your shop brought products.

I agree with this completely, while i'm sure all of the products mentioned on this thread work fantastically for the person who recommemnded it, they may not work for you. You CANNOT have a proper skin diagnosis wthout a qualified therapist actually touching and looking at your skin. Yes the salon you go to will try to convince you to buy thier products but that is beacuse they know them and they know which ones will suit your your skin, if you don't like the brand go to another salon where they use different products. You can ask for a skin consultation which is normally free, and maybe they will throw in a sample or two.

HTH xx

Latest posts

Back