Curling sidewalls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cec

Reaction score
Today I had a client who had long nails, her own, with gel over. Her sidewalls at her natural nails were curling a lot, like they had been pinched too much (but of course had not). Grrrrr... I really don't know how to explain this in English... I find it very hard to do those "curling" nails. Do any of you have any tips and hints of how to survive those nails? (I do have a few of them and I swear, in my mind, everytime.. :)) I have told her to use oil, and she do, but with no luck. At one client with the same problem, I sometimes cut the sidewalls, use a form and make new sidewalls. Is there a better way???

Ehm, did this make any sense?

C.

A client of mine gets this, and to be honest so do I if I let them grow long enough.

The only way I have found round this is to cut the natural nail shorter and to sculpt length and shape that is more natural. I do give the client a choice to either have the curly overlay or the alternative sculpt. Most times this client wants to stick to her own curly nail.

A client of mine gets this, and to be honest so do I if I let them grow long enough.

The only way I have found round this is to cut the natural nail shorter and to sculpt length and shape that is more natural. I do give the client a choice to either have the curly overlay or the alternative sculpt. Most times this client wants to stick to her own curly nail.

Yeh, they all wants their curly nails... I find them harder to do, do you?

C.

Yeh, they all wants their curly nails... I find them harder to do, do you?

C.

They are harder to build up on the stress area thats for sure.

my daughters nails are like this too and the longer they become the more it shows.

when i overlay hers with gel i tend not to file the side walls as thinly as i usually do. this helps to compensate for the tapered appearance that the curling gives the nails.

but i do agree, they are a bit of a pain to do :lol:

My nails are like this, i always wear an acrylic overlay but to disguise them a bit i shape them into an almond shape,
as for an easier way to apply sorry i cant help, i am that used to doing my own it is second nature now,
i do understand it is a pain though, i was a model for pips recently and she found them hard to do too, did a good job though :hug:

My nails are like this, i always wear an acrylic overlay but to disguise them a bit i shape them into an almond shape,
as for an easier way to apply sorry i cant help, i am that used to doing my own it is second nature now,
i do understand it is a pain though, i was a model for pips recently and she found them hard to do too, did a good job though :hug:

If they only wished the nails almond-shaped! :) No, they want them very square... I try to file the corners a little bit from the "underside", but no almond shape.

I also find it hard to get the gel "all round" the sidewall. Haha, all in all I find those nails difficult to do and I do use more time for them.

C.

my daughters nails are like this too and the longer they become the more it shows.

when i overlay hers with gel i tend not to file the side walls as thinly as i usually do. this helps to compensate for the tapered appearance that the curling gives the nails.

but i do agree, they are a bit of a pain to do :lol:

Thanks! :-D

C.

Ooh, thanks for this thread:hug:. My nails are like this too, but have only recently got long enough to be a problem. Thought it was just me being a weirdo!:green:

Ooh, thanks for this thread:hug:. My nails are like this too, but have only recently got long enough to be a problem. Thought it was just me being a weirdo!:green:

:-D You're not, unfortunately, alone! :-D It must be more difficult to do those nails on your own?

C.

I have nails like this & damn yeh it can be hard sorting them as not only to they start to curl but some also don't grow straight so hate doing my own as it can be a real pain sorting them. Plus as they start to curl I sometimes get my natural nail separating from the acrylic overlay. :( Thought about removing my natural nails underneath but am so proud when I say they are my own when I get compliments!!! Just hate all the messing building up certain sides etc.... So do feel for you all on this honest, lol!! :lol: But not really anything you can do about it other than sculpt a free edge or keep them a shorter length to avoid getting to this stage, saying that my nails aren't that long so another reason why I just put up with them driving me mad so that I can have some length & are stronger with natural nail underneath!! Have to say they look nicer than the stumps I'd have with out the overlays as my natural nails are like paper!! :)

Latest posts

Back