Curls falling out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
Ok just a brief! I'm a MUA & I employ a hairdresser - this is about her work, not mine

Now, she's a great wee girl & a hard worker, I'm fond of her but when I took her on, not being a hairdresser I suppose I didn't look out for the right signs so a lot of this is my fault

We only style hair, so up dos & curls really. Her up dos are perfect, they stay in we'll etc, but to be honest most of the time people only want curls

But her curls always fall out, they look lovely at the time but they are falling out within a few hours. It doesn't matter if she uses ghds, tongs or the wand. I can even tell by looking at them they will fall out, what can I do to help?

I done a course styling, but more for myself & so I would have a better idea of hair & I was told a light spray of hairspray on each section would help or use L'Oreal Pli for setting heated rollers. But she refuses to do this because it would make the hair look "crunchy" - I know the look she means but when I'm curling my own hair it doesn't look like this if I use hairspray or setting spray, it still looks soft & bouncy

Where is she going wrong?

Pin curling is fab for holding the curls in place. once the hair is dry and curled you roll it up (like in a roller) and pin in place, leave it like this for a while and once all the hair is done and cool it should hold for longer. Sometimes I leave my clients like this and they un pin it before they go out so it's fresh xx

I always use hairspray when am doing curls on every section, we also have some paul michell set and shine spray that we use :) And they stay in
I think she is just not prepping the hair or helping it hold what she has created by not applying product.

It's like most things, the key is in the preparing the foundations thoroughly.

I prefer to start with hair that isn't freshly washed and then select the correct prepping product according to hair type and finished look required.

Mostly, I'd dry in some mousse, setting lotion etc. before curling the hair and then spray afterwards.

I usually have several different products available to use depending on requirements and you really need to know your products in order to choose the correct one(s) for the job.

I learnt on my level 2 very quickly that just curling/styling hair and not using the right product was a recipe for disaster in most cases and it initially put me off doing 'up-do's'.

The finished hair doesn't have to be crunchy, lol. :lol:

Get a babyliss wand. Even done without product mine hold.
I prefer hair washed the day before, and depending on the texture I might add some mousse to the hair and scrunch dry it in. I always finish with a bit of hairspray. She could also try washing and blowdrying the hair curly before using heated tools, use a brush smaller than normal, dry and roll up into a barrel curl, pin and move on. When its all dry start at the bottom, unpin, curl and leave it.

Curls with flat irons just don't last so don't get down about that. Use a wand or rollers xoxo

Pin curling is fab for holding the curls in place. once the hair is dry and curled you roll it up (like in a roller) and pin in place, leave it like this for a while and once all the hair is done and cool it should hold for longer. Sometimes I leave my clients like this and they un pin it before they go out so it's fresh xx

Agreed the curl needs to cool or it will drop very quickly

i agree with all the above posts, prepping the hair is essential and using good products doesn't mean that finished look is crispy or stiff. pin curling the curls into place is key, the longer you can leave them the better, i have a friend with waist length virgin asian hair who loves to get a full on beyonce style for going out and with good prep and pinning her style lasts a few days :lol: xxx

Are you providing her with great quality styling products? Look into the Kevin Murphy line... My absolute favorite for bridal/special occasion work.

Latest posts

Back