Custom Blend boo boo!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christi

Softie Walter Geek
Reaction score
I wonder if any of you more experienced custom blend geeks can help me!

I recently custom blended a mix of powder to extend the length of my nail beds but i think i have added a bit too much Spanish tile! It is quite pink (bit like intense) and it doesn’t seem to cover very well either can still see my natural nail quite clearly under my mix.

Made a huge mix too and i hate it, too pink for me.

Is there anyway i can add another powder or change my mix slightly to reduce the brightness of the pink and maybe give a little bit more coverage?

Anyone else made the same or similar mistake!.... and if so how did you remedy this?

Christi
xx

i think , but dont quote me that green takes this away, is it jade in the kit?????

if not another geek will help, maybe try snugglepuss as shes just done a thingy bob on it lol!!!!!

I imagine you have either perfect pink or intense pink in the blend...
that's where the transparency will be coming from..

Try adding some another 2 parts flawless and one part soft white, this will give more coverage and at the same time reduce the redness.

And yes green would neutralise, however if the mix is that transparent it may go a bit muddy looking. ;)

ohhh muddy looking nails!!! i can see it now darlinnnnnggggggg!!!!!
lol !!!

I had made the original mix with perfect pink, flawless, a tiny bit of intense and a touch of spanish tile.(think i touched it too much )lol. I then added a little soft white and a bit more flawless to the mix to give it more coverage but think it is till too pink and not as much cover as i would have liked.

Think i will take a bit of the mix and try it with a bit of green to see what i get, nothing to loose!

Mmmmmm muddy look could catch on lol..... designer mud nail blends with your tan!!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Christi
xx

Your welcome Christi

that's the sort of blend I was using when I very first started to mix it up.
Since then I have found it just never gives enough coverage with either intense or perfect pink. I just don't use them at all now!

You soon get used to making a nice blend based on flawless with either soft white or perfect white - then colours to suit.

Just a little question .... would a touch of melting pot(brown) bring the colour down to a more warm shade???? sort of neutralize it ???

It would definitely help make it more of a skin tone. One of my fav mixes - and very popular is:

3 part flawless
1 part soft white
1/8 spanish tile
1/8 melting pot
1/16 terra cotta
*I also put the Spanish tile through a mortar & pestle to get the red really fine.
(This is quite a candy pink)

get yourself a colour wheel from an art shop (very cheap) and then you can reduce any colour you want by looking to see what the opposite colour is on the wheel. Yes, green reduces red....you might need more white to make it more opaque too, thisis better than soft white.

lotus blossom said:
i think , but dont quote me that green takes this away, is it jade in the kit?????

if not another geek will help, maybe try snugglepuss as shes just done a thingy bob on it lol!!!!!

Aww thanks Niki - I have a thread which has the table I was given at Leeds Creative academy and even though it is not in colour it has the receipes - a touch of this a scoop of tha (eg spanish tile is just that - a touch - use a nail tip and just have the smallest amount on the corner) - like Ruth says melting pot will tone it down to be more neutral

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/34248-custom-blend-mentoring.html

Thank you for the mix all your help Envy, and to everyone else for the advice.

I am going to try and neutralise this mix firstly as i have made a large mix and its a lot of powder to waste.
I like the idea of putting the spanish tile through the mortar and pestal as i find its not a fine as some of the other powders.
It might be an idea to use little portions of my mix and try adding the different colours surgested to see which gives the best coverage and which neutralises the colour best, will let you know how i get on!

I posted this firstly on your thread Debbie,(Snugglepus) but felt it was i bit of a cheack to highjack your thread with my question. But thanks for the table. If i had know or realised there was a custom blend mentoring at leeds i would have had a pop down..... oh well maybe next time!

Have a colour wheel somewhere Nailsbydesign but dont know where, You know the place... the one that you put out the way for safe keeping,..and find its so out the way that its lost..... will have to dig it out thanks.

Thaks again all
Christi
xx

Latest posts

Back