Custom Blending.....How long does it take you to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleTips69

Reaction score
Hello again my little Geeky chums!!

Well....I'm all high on my succesful interview! But it raised a few questions for me (now there's a shock!! hehe), thought this would be a good question for everyone really from grand masters and educators (especially you guys!), salon owners and even newbie techs learning the art of custom blending. Here goes....

So, at my interview we were all asked to do a set of pink and whites.....some guys used white tips and clear, some people used drills and a bit of glitter, I decided to do a set of soft white and custom blended pink. (which I was glad about 'coz she openly criticised everyones nails except mine!! Get in!)

I took the longest out of everyone :irked: which I totally freaked out about!! but they looked good....(even though I would have loved to elongate the nailbeds more, but my model refused incase I got the job and wouldn't be around to rebalance them!!)

In salon a set of custom blends takes 1hr 30mins. A set of tips with pink and white/soft white/natural takes me 1 hour.

She said I'd need to do it in 1hr 20mins at the most?! With full prep, custom blending the powder and application is that do-able? Educators and grand masters....how long does it take you guys in-salon?

I don't do that many custom blends even though I luuuuurrrrvvvee them! But my clients like quick, and VERY quick at that. They are happy with the nails I do, and are SO reluctant to change to having beautiful custom blended enhancements.

If I ALWAYS custom blend will I get my time down do you think? Would love to know if you guys custom blend (and I mean custom blend, not just use the pre-mixed skin tone powders!) and how long it takes, and if you like it or just stick with your transparents and steer clear of the opaques!

Happy Geeking! Edith x

Oooohhh dragged that one out!! :lol: lol!!

I'll be first to reply so...... TBH it takes me ages to CB! I'm about 1hr 45 and cannot seem to get any quicker than this, It drives me mad. It as tho I'm getting slower since my Masters!
I do have powders here that are a pre-mixed, in betweeny shade of the skin tones (sheer pink with warm opaque, sheer with cool, sheer & flawless pink etc.) havent really had time to try them out yet but I'm hoping this will speed me up a bit.

Sorry cant be more help but TBH I dont think employers should tell Techs how long they should take esp when 1hr 30 is adequate time for nails, and yes I do think you should try and CB all your nails if your doing gr8 work, I'm def gonna start (that and sculpting........ list getting longer!)

I always use the premixed powders now, so no time lost there.

TBH it takes me exactly the same amount of time as a normal P&W set. Why should it take longer unless you're actually mixing and blending the powders yourself within a consultation period? Surely after you have gone through all that the actual physical application takes no longer does it?

If you are going to consult and then mix then perhaps you should make this first personalised appointment a different price? Once you mix your powder for the client, then you can save the recipe for the rebalance and have it all ready?

Just a few ideas.

Normal pink and white set....takes me an hour because its usually pre-cut, well less, white tips that I use (if they are suited to the clients nails, which I find a lot of the time they are), custom blends, I use to elongate nail beds and cover imperfections, so use tips according to the nails....blend them, thin them, apply product. Seems to take me longer.

Am I a bad tech....for cheating with the white tips? I am not sure.

I agree about the first appointment.....they may well charge more. I will ask her to e-mail me a price list (hope its not in greek).

How long does it take you to do pink and whites Geeg?!!! I'm curious! lol

Normal pink and white set....takes me an hour because its usually pre-cut, well less, white tips that I use (if they are suited to the clients nails, which I find a lot of the time they are), custom blends, I use to elongate nail beds and cover imperfections, so use tips according to the nails....blend them, thin them, apply product. Seems to take me longer.

Am I a bad tech....for cheating with the white tips? I am not sure.

I agree about the first appointment.....they may well charge more. I will ask her to e-mail me a price list (hope its not in greek).

How long does it take you to do pink and whites Geeg?!!! I'm curious! lol

I book all appopintments hourly whether it is a full set or a RB (cause ya never quite know with those Rebalances just what some women will come in with). With the clients I do know well, I get a little break inbetween if I'm lucky.
First appointments fo a new client I book out 1hr and 15.
PopIts 45 minutes.

To me white tips are not a cheat they are just another way and sometimes that way is the right way for the situation.

By the way, I use well-less tips for custom blends as well. I very rearely blend a tip these days unless I think it will look better to do so. The opaque powder hides everything so even if the well-less tip is sitting halfway down the nail, no one is going to know are they?

Yes I agree with the rebalances!! lol

I think I will have to hide all the white tips in the building....and make sure I do forever french (yey - soft white/warm pink with dash of golden city is my fave :)) EVERY time.

Mabye if I begin booking 1hr 30min and aim to reduce to 1hr15.

Hope she trains me with Brisa.....never got round to doing my conversion. I would love to work with Brisa every time!! lol

Everyone else.....come on be honest....how long does it take you!!! I'm still intrigued to know! :lol:

Latest posts

Back