custom blending- share your advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*JOANNE*

Reaction score
after having a go at doing a custom blend on myself yesterday (and not doing too brilliant) i thought i would start a thread asking geeks to share their tips and recipes.
from all companies, ezflow creative nsi etc
*what blend recipes have worked for you
*tips on application techniques...i.e not getting the tiling affect, do you work wetter or dryer.
i work better on clients than myself i found it hard doing a set on my self,
i am hoping this helps alot of people who are interested in custom blending, it seems to be the way to go.
my blend was too peachy so after good advice from antony and jess i found a better mix, also i found i had to work wetter(maybe that was due to the weather)....
so geeks please share you tips and tricks on custom blending and recipes which can give other geeks a starting point to work on. :hug:

good thread i have been mixing diffrent powders i tried one and it was a very strange looking colour it was

1x scoup of peach
1xscoup of pink
2xscops of white dident look good so i think i could do with some recipes as well

this is a fantastic thread,i bought some nsi powders a few weeks ago .but im not really sure what to do with them
i did get a nice colour the other week,but just played around so havent a clue how i got it :rolleyes:
i will be having another play later so will let you know if i come up with a good'en

id like to know how you get zone 3 and the sidewall area to be more transparent as even though i work wetter and thinner its still not transparent enough there
xxx

*JOANNE* said:
brilliant stuff, (forgot about that article) at least its bumping back up for others who havent read it:hug:
:lol: I was being lazy - couldn't be bothered to retype it out :lol:

Thanks for typing up the article have saved it to my pc. Ibrought the creative CBM kit the other month and although you got the recipe booklet with it, it wasn't really that clear to me. You notes made alot more clearer.

One thing I would like to ask if anyone has any pointers is how do you tell the tone you are going to go with (Warm, Cool etc...) Do you just look at the nailbed tone and try to match or the clients skin tone?:rolleyes:

GMG's article gives more info:green:

http://www.thenailgeek.com/preparation-application/24107-custom-blending-up.html
Text from the above link re testing the colour - hths

Testing

The easiest way to test your blend is by using a Brisa Clear Performance form. The centre of each form provides a perfect surface to drop a bead onto and hold it up against the nail. It also serves as an excellent ‘swatch’ for testing existing batches of blends for new clients.
When trying to compliment the natural nail tone, place the clear form with your bead onto the nail and see if it matches. If it’s too light, darken it. If it’s too dark, lighten it. If it’s not the right colour, freaking change it!

Good luck with playing with the colours xxx:green:

Not so much for the custom blending itself but application. As I use a lot of custom blending for extending the nailbed I tend to start in zone 2 and use Creative powders.
prep and apply form, place bead in zone 2 and create rverse smile (carving the brush undernieth to make a slight gap under the bead)
Back brush to blend bead toward zonw three.
Zone one, white for french tyo create free edge
If zone 2 has blened well then I use perfect pink in zone 3, otherwise customblend mix
Finally if needed a small bead of clear over join in zone 1 & 2

I like this technique as it is easier for rebalancing or if the client wants a different colour or sparkle in zone one, you can just remove it, apply a form and then a new colour.

brilliant advice emma

I found a really nice blend for a lighter skin tone very simple , i just use 4 scoops of perfect pink and a dash of Golden glass . See simple but it looked great xxxx

what i find hard after having a little play today ,is when you get a nice colour for extending the nail bed,but its still a little to transparent,i add a little white powder ,but then i find when i have added enough to lengthen the free edge ,its to "fake" looking on the rest of the nail bed !!!!!! :irked:
what can i do to fix this please xxx

emmsybabes! said:
what i find hard after having a little play today ,is when you get a nice colour for extending the nail bed,but its still a little to transparent,i add a little white powder ,but then i find when i have added enough to lengthen the free edge ,its to "fake" looking on the rest of the nail bed !!!!!! :irked:
what can i do to fix this please xxx

I would assume you are using either perfect pink, or intense pink in your blend. This will make it more transparent, try using a base or add more flawless and then either soft white, or perfect white to make it more opaque.

- If this is not producing a colour you like, then add a bit of melting pot, spanish tile or terra cotta. HTH

just bumping this back up so it doesnt get lost and if any more people can give their tips and advice

Forgot to say always have a large base mix stashed so that the consistency will always be roughly the same. When the base mix gets about half way down top it back up. You can then decant into smaller pots to add your colours

Anyone got any more tips??? xxx

Just wanted to say this is a great thread, with some good tips, Ive just started having a 'play' with custom blending and it really helps hearing others ideas.
:green: :green: :green:

your so right thats why i bumped it lol BUMP BABY!!! xxxxx

Hi

I love custom blending and here are my tips so far....

I have the 3 shades from GMG's tutorial (cool, warm and all round pink) made up ready. When i bought my GHD's i got a hair mask with them which came in 3 little pots. these pots are fab for keeping them in!!

I also carry around all the powders and a small set of stackable pots (£1 or something from boots) so if i need to add to them I can.

I always sculpt to extend the nail bed, i find this far easier than trying to tip a bitten nail.

Also make sure when your doing zone 2 that the edge nearest the cuticle is slanted, not a straight down cliff. if not you will get a line where the colours change slightly.

if I think of any more I will post.

:green: xxxxx

Latest posts

Back