Custom mixing nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazzywoowoo

Reaction score
Hi
I've done a quick search on here but can't see any relevant threads....
I was wondering if anyone has custom mixed polish to create their desired shade? I'm going to be trying this and would be pleased to hear how anyone got on with this...and the process they used ie mixing in small bottles or on a palette etc.

Thanks,
Karen

I've never actually mixed polish before, but have often layered it and you can get some fab results... I've been doing this for years.

Usually a dark colour first followed by a lighter colour to get a completely different colour.

Now I use Shellac and I just love creating new colours by layering... the results are a million times better than layering with normal polish in my experience.

It's called frankening, as far as I know it's not something that's been discussed on here yet. There's a couple of bloggers who do it and some you tube videos, I'm on my phone so posting links is difficult but google 'polish frankening' and you'll find a few bloggers

In the job I do I do it all the time as the exact colour is essential. It works fine. Longevity may be compromised but you won't know that until you try

It's called frankening, as far as I know it's not something that's been discussed on here yet. There's a couple of bloggers who do it and some you tube videos, I'm on my phone so posting links is difficult but google 'polish frankening' and you'll find a few bloggers

Thanks for that Trinity.. I can't believe I never knew that!

Well I just learned something new! It never even crossed my mind to mix or layer 'normal' polish. D'oh!

Cool maybe now I can actually make a french pink that covers my squiggly natural smile lines!

Well I just learned something new! It never even crossed my mind to mix or layer 'normal' polish. D'oh!

Cool maybe now I can actually make a french pink that covers my squiggly natural smile lines!

Glad I'm not the only one that didn't know that term.

Now that I've looked it up, I do remember going to a wedding three years ago and I had a gorgeous Coral dress, but didn't have a polish to match, so I just mixed a pink and a light coral kind of colour together and made the exact colour I wanted... who knew there was actually a proper term for that? :)

They were both fairly old bottles of polish and I never used it again, so I had forgotten all about it 'till now.

Glad I'm not the only one that didn't know that term.

Now that I've looked it up, I do remember going to a wedding three years ago and I had a gorgeous Coral dress, but didn't have a polish to match, so I just mixed a pink and a light coral kind of colour together and made the exact colour I wanted... who knew there was actually a proper term for that? :)

They were both fairly old bottles of polish and I never used it again, so I had forgotten all about it 'till now.

I've book marked it or future reference. I can't believe how obvious it is though LOL I've read tonnes about custom blending powders/gels and layering Shellac and gel polishes. Regular polish didn't even register!

I have about 100 bottles of polish here that I use for myself and for practicing, I think I might have a play :)

I've book marked it or future reference. I can't believe how obvious it is though LOL I've read tonnes about custom blending powders/gels and layering Shellac and gel polishes. Regular polish didn't even register!

I have about 100 bottles of polish here that I use for myself and for practicing, I think I might have a play :)

Have fun! :)

Thanks for the info re Frankening! Def going to be
googling this :) i need to create the perfect shimmering yellow to match a prop on a shoot lol- a live snake would u believe!

Thanks for the info re Frankening! Def going to be
googling this :) i need to create the perfect shimmering yellow to match a prop on a shoot lol- a live snake would u believe!

Really? :Scared:

We want to see pictures please :biggrin:

I never knew this either!! Something else new learned via this site :Love: I have some old CND polishes upstairs, might get them down and have a little play later :)

I've been layering polishes since i was old enough to be buying it. I just thought everyone done it! I used to get a silver colour, and then put one of those thin coloured glitter ones (think it might have been the Stargazer ones from way back when that had like a transparent but coloured base) over which then gave the transparent colour a fab metallic sheen to it!! I was forever being made to remove my nail polish at school!! :twisted:

I'm on my phone but when I get on my laptop later il post the photo of the snske that the photographer sent me for inspiration...its a beast! :)

Attachments

• snake4.jpg
    snake4.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 44
here he is!

:Scared::Scared::Scared:

Just a thought... you could mix a light yellow colour and a dark yellow colour.

Apply the dark yellow colour to the whole nail and then drop some of the light colour onto the wet nails in spots, you could drag the spots over the nail and allow the colour to spread... then drop the darker colour on the top of the light colour and you'd get a great snake kind of effect.

He's a big fella isn't he?

Gulp!

Ooh that sounds like a great idea....I like the idea of layering to create a bit of texture! Can't wait to start experimenting! :biggrin:

I must say the snake in the pic is stunning i love snakes, my brother used to keep them i think he still does,although i do prefer them when they are babies lol :eek:

Latest posts

Back