Cutting cuticles-do or don't?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimipuss

Reaction score
I am recently trained in manicure and cnd shellac.
I got taught not to cut the cuticle but some clients have complained that i am not doing this, saying they felt they only got polish change and not a proper manicure.

I have tried nippers on myself and on my husband but dont feel confident in cutting and dont really want to do this as i dont believe it is safe or healthy.

But am worried i wont get repeat business if i dont do it as part of the manicure.

I use cnd cuticle away and an orange stick/metal pusher to remove all from nailplate and push down cuticle.

So cutting cuticles do or dont? Thanks

What do you tell your clients when they ask why you aren't cutting their cuticles.

I dont do it unless there is some loose skin which I would nip away.

Clients may call it cuticle, but it is the eponychium fold and it is living tissue.

I just say it is living tissue and if I nip it away it will grow back tougher as scar tissue, the best way to keep the skin healthy supple and doing it's job,( which is as a seal to prevent bacteria getting in) is by using a cuticle oil. It may take a few days use to see results but it is still better than a quick fix of nipping it away.

You need to understand exactly what the cuticle is!

It is the dead skin cells that are on the nail plate NOT the living skin that is an extension of the skin from the finger (eponychium). This is what most people call the cuticle and it isn't! It is living skin and, if cut, will grow even thicker!

If you explain to clients what is what and what the implications are they will almost always appreciate your explanation.

Removing the real cuticle is part of a good manicure but cutting the living skin isn't!

You need to understand exactly what the cuticle is!

It is the dead skin cells that are on the nail plate NOT the living skin that is an extension of the skin from the finger (eponychium). This is what most people call the cuticle and it isn't! It is living skin and, if cut, will grow even thicker!

If you explain to clients what is what and what the implications are they will almost always appreciate your explanation.

Removing the real cuticle is part of a good manicure but cutting the living skin isn't!

I have a lady that comes in for IBX. Her eponychium is so thick from previous manicures and cutting them at home, I'm not sure what to advise. I've got her using solar oil 3 times a day, but they're just not improving. Her nails now look lovely thanks to IBX, but the results are ruined by this massive build up of skin. Is it a case of perseverance, or is this just something that's never going to improve?

I have a lady that comes in for IBX. Her eponychium is so thick from previous manicures and cutting them at home, I'm not sure what to advise. I've got her using solar oil 3 times a day, but they're just not improving. Her nails now look lovely thanks to IBX, but the results are ruined by this massive build up of skin. Is it a case of perseverance, or is this just something that's never going to improve?

You could give cuticle eraser a try used along side solar oil I can't survive without mine

i had the same problem i dred cutting cuticles but now im more confident as i practised on myself.

I only cut the dry skin around the nail that is clearly non living tissue. I cannot bear to see pictures of nails that have ugly bits of skin around the nail that could have been nipped off.

I agree that you need to educate your clients about the skin, cuticle (eponychium) and what purpose it has. Challenge them to use oil twice daily for 2 weeks and to then tell you they don't see a difference!

Unfortunately, on my Level 2 beauty course that I have just completed this year, we were taught to cut the eponychium by a tutor that clearly didn't know what it was and couldn't pronounce it either. Cue, lots of bleeding fingers, but hey, we ALL passed with distinction so who cares?

If I were you I'd tell her to keep persevering! At the salon I used to work at a new girl hacked off all my eponychium and 6 months later they're just about getting back to normal with minimal hangnails. Frustrating but if she keeps cutting them they'll never have a chance to heal!

At college I was taught that the cuticle was the peronychium, eponychium and hyponychium but that the only one we cut is the eponychium.

At college I was taught that the cuticle was the peronychium, eponychium and hyponychium but that the only one we cut is the eponychium.

Cuticle is the dead skin that grows up the nail. Eponychium is protecting the nail matrix and is living skin that should not be cut

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back