Daily Mail DIY Gelish Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moo Moo

Reaction score
Just reading todays Mail and got to the Life and Style section page 38. A full page article on DIY "at home beauty kits". The last "home" kit trialled is for a gel manicure and I was surprised to see The Gelish Pro 5-45 Kit from nailharmonyuk.co.uk (plus price). The kit includes a small selection of colours and the LED lamp. It received a good rating from the person who had tried it out saying yes expensive but use it ten times and you have made your money back.

Would this product be only available to qualified people and not the general public....or have I got that wrong x

I am glad you raised this. I saw this article too and was surprised. I will be interested to see others replies.

I bought this set from Sally's and you need a trade card but you can log on the nail harmony website Nd buy it without qualifications I think!

Oh wow really?? All the wholesalers round me that sell Gelish will only let you buy it after proof of qualifications

I raised this in the rant thread, it's shameful that the company would allow this.

If anyone feels strongly about this, then best to email Harmony direct asking if they are now selling this kit retail, something they said they would never do.
Or have the Daily Mail misreported.

Always best to go straight to the company involved and get the facts and explanations from them.

Last edited:
I opened an account with NH online awhile without having to show any proof of qualifications . I more or less ticked a box saying I was ....

I remember a huge furore on here when Harmony started selling Gelish in Sallys, and that was seen as a sell out!
Their representatives were on here making statements and techs were up in arms that Sallys might sell to non nail professionals.
Yet the fact that the Daily Mail are promoting Harmony and Gelish as a retail product for any Tom, Dick or Harry, doesn't seem to be causing that much upset.
Don't we care any more?

I think it's ridiculous! Why are Harmony doing this? How can we say they are professional products if any Tom, Dick and Harry can get their hands on them and do their own thing.

Please Harmony, keep it professional and stop this stupidness. I wouldn't want to change to any other product, but would have to if the general public are doing their own nails with Gelish.

Yes we do care, but I think we have all long since realised that pretty much anyone can get hold of anything these days but that doesn't mean they will get the same results. If NH have given the Daily Mail their blessing to promote these kits then I'm pretty glad I'm a Shellac girl because I know for sure Sweet Squared wouldn't.

I remember a huge furore on here when Harmony started selling Gelish in Sallys, and that was seen as a sell out!
Their representatives were on here making statements and techs were up in arms that Sallys might sell to non nail professionals.
Yet the fact that the Daily Mail are promoting Harmony and Gelish as a retail product for any Tom, Dick or Harry, doesn't seem to be causing that much upset.
Don't we care any more?

We certainly do and it has been raised at the correct address.

Don't we care any more?

There was a big furore on BeautyTech forum too - especially when DH tried to convince everyone that the small mini-Gelish and cheap LED lamp in Sally's made it easier for professionals to buy. To prove a point, I used my USA VISA to buy some Gelish products and had them delivered to a USA address - at no time was I asked to prove that I was a professional. Point made.

My main concern at the time was the increased incidence of overexposure and allergies. Well it took 4 years, but last week in Sweden a company called Depend Cosmetics had it's Gellack product removed from the market after 51 consumers reported severe allergies, including skin blistering. The Swedish Medical Products Agency responsible for cosmetic safety is apparently trying to have all gel polish products banned from retail sales.

At the end of the day, if professionals don't agree with professional products being sold retail, they should look for a manufacturer that supports the industry and whose ethics are not solely driven by profits.

I don't understand why your surprised the public can buy gelish there's a ton of threads on here with public asking silly questions about how best to use it, there's tons of genuine gelish available on eBay & gumtree I was on there all last night looking at it, same for shellac

Harmony have confirmed that they did not give permission for the Gelish Pro Kit to be featured and it is also incorrectly labelled on the story as well. It's disgusting that DM have done this as it encourages untrained joe public to purchase cheap rubbish off of eBay. I read through the comments and a lot of people commented saying "a pricey kit, I get mine for £20 on eBay".
I for one am fed up if re-educating people about proper Gel Polish and correcting mistakes made from tinkering at home. I hope DM gets what it is coming to them!!

...jewels not tools...

I don't understand why your surprised the public can buy gelish there's a ton of threads on here with public asking silly questions about how best to use it, there's tons of genuine gelish available on eBay & gumtree I was on there all last night looking at it, same for shellac

There is a big difference between the public buying pro products from dodgy internet sites and being able to buy 'retail gel polish kits' from authorised pro suppliers. If the public using what we consider pro products is being sanctioned by a distributor, that is something we all need to be concerned about.
This is was what needs to be clarified, and I would hope that someone from Harmony would post something to let us know what actually is going on here.

Harmony have confirmed that they did not give permission for the Gelish Pro Kit to be featured and it is also incorrectly labelled on the story as well. It's disgusting that DM have done this as it encourages untrained joe public to purchase cheap rubbish off of eBay. I read through the comments and a lot of people commented saying "a pricey kit, I get mine for £20 on eBay".
I for one am fed up if re-educating people about proper Gel Polish and correcting mistakes made from tinkering at home. I hope DM gets what it is coming to them!!

...jewels not tools...

Where has this been confirmed? Emails to customers or in a press release or is this just hearsay?

Surley DM must have asked harmony for the details about the kit before publishing?

1st one on the google search this is View attachment 69847

EDIT: Image has been deleted by Moderation Team as it included Trade price

Surley DM must have asked harmony for the details about the kit before publishing?

It is the Daily Mail, full of rubbish from cover to cover. Unfortunately this is just one of many examples .

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek mobile app

That's not a trade price! It was off amazon!?

I was simply trying to show how easy harmony have let it become for public to buy their products

Latest posts

Back