Damaged nails, can I apply gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyblitz

Reaction score
My client does her own nails. They are damaged and lifting and discoloured. She want me to put on gel for hols at her choice . If I do will it cause more damage? We will have a break after this she says x

You'd need to see them to enable you to decide

image.jpg image.jpg

No; I wouldn't personally.
File right down.
Have a luxury manicure & POLISH..
I wouldn't do gel.

They look awful. Have you got IBX? Ellisons & louella belle sell it. It'll fill in some of those damaged areas & works with any uv lamp.

You can use the repair twice on really damaged nails so she'll go out with much better nails.

No. Those nails look like they are lifting from the nail bed... :/ that damage needs to heal and hopefully it's not anything like a fungus.

If it is Onycholysis it's a super slow process to get those nails to grow connected to the nail bed... (this usually doesn't hurt either)

https://www.skinsight.com/skin-conditions/adult/onycholysis

http://www.nailpro.com/nail-clinic-onycholysis-what-it-looks-causes-and-treatment

http://m.nailsmag.com/article/91567/onycholysis-or-nail-separation-has-different-varieties

You said she does her own nails...what does she do to them? It seems that there is a skin condition or fungal infection at play here. Either that or she has caused damage to the nail bed by excessively sticking tools under the nail.

If it's for a special occasion then I would consider doing them with a polish or gel as a one-off but definitely no tips or extensions and would advise her that nails in that condition should be kept clipped short, unpolished and gently cleaned with a soft brush only - no tools. If they detach further from the nail bed or don't improve after a month she should really go see her gp in case there's an underlying health issue.

did you go with the gel in the end?

My client does her own nails. They are damaged and lifting and discoloured. She want me to put on gel for hols at her choice . If I do will it cause more damage? We will have a break after this she says x

Personally I would not touch them
You say she does her own nails... fair enough.
But they are in extremely bad condition for whatever reason.
For some reason this screams at me 'proceed with caution'
I would be concerned she would try it on with me and try and blame me for the damage down the track.
To me it just would not be worth the risk.

I wouldn't touch them either.

I wouldn't touch them either because chances are she'll end up holding you responsible for the damage she caused!

Looks like onycholysis from the pictures. They need to be kept very short, very clean and regular daily applications of cuticle oil.

Another one not touching them. I'd advise lashings and lashings of cuticle oil over the cuticle area and the hyponichium. Several times a day until they (hopefully) start to reattach.

I had a lady like this in last year and for the first couple of months I wouldn't paint them but simply inspected them. When they were nearly reattached with no sign of infection, I cut them short and gel polished them and we examine them on every removal to ensure they're getting better.

It's a very long process. My lady came into me in early September last year and we are only now at the stage where 8 out of 10 of the nails are properly reattached.

X

Another one not touching them. I'd advise lashings and lashings of cuticle oil over the cuticle area and the hyponichium. Several times a day until they (hopefully) start to reattach.

I had a lady like this in last year and for the first couple of months I wouldn't paint them but simply inspected them. When they were nearly reattached with no sign of infection, I cut them short and gel polished them and we examine them on every removal to ensure they're getting better.

It's a very long process. My lady came into me in early September last year and we are only now at the stage where 8 out of 10 of the nails are properly reattached.

X
Never new onycholysis actually reattaches! Mine from the accident (in December) is still lifted and for the first couple of weeks the nail growth would also be lifted.
Thankfully after that it's growing normal and healthy again so I'm just waiting for the injured part to grow out. It doesn't seem to reattach either, no matter how much cuticle oil I use, but maybe it's too soon?
By the way I built mine with tip and acrylic about 5 weeks ago (once the bleeding had stopped and the tissue was healed) and it's fine. No lifting no nothing, although I can partially see the discolouration through it, but my acrylics are at best transparent and natural, not covers

Latest posts

Back