Daughter taking options and wants to do hairdressing .. can she get Sat job at 13?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
y my daughter is about to take her options, wants to do hairdressing and possibly makeup

just wondered if hairdressers would take her on as a saturday girl? just to sweep up hair i guess and make the tea, give her an insight into how a hairdressers is run

also are there any other options for training in hairdressing other than college (ours doesnt have the best reputation) can she train privately at an academy? thinking perhaps she can do makeup at college as they're renowned for this and hairdressing privately as dont think she'd be to do both anyway with hairdressing being 2 yrs and make up 1 yr .. govt only pay for 2 yrs dont they? sorry to ask on here, school have been less than helpful with no careers advise whatsoever

many thanks

Your best bet is to get your daughter to go in to your local hairdressers and see if they need a Saturday girl. (I started in one when I was 15)

You can do in house training where an assessor will come out to the place of work and teach hairdressing but that will depend on how the salon runs.

Hth

Either what Laura Kate said or some aprrentiships run where you work in a salon 4 days and go to college one day a week so you get a bit of both. My old workplace did this & I'd say she'd b better off with the majority of her time in the salon instead of college as you learn a hell of a lot more by watching and being a part of it. X

She can get 3 years of full time education free from the age of 16 - 19, except she has to turn 19 in her third year so as long as she goes straight from school into college she will have it paid for. She will do best to try and find an apprenticeship if she really wants to do hair, but if she wants to do makeup aswell it might be better to go to college where you can change courses etc, cos apprenticeships you really only learn hairdressing and until shes fully qualified that will take up all of her time.

You'll have to ring a few and ask as I don't know if they would be able to employ someone so young - I worked from 12 but that was a long time ago... Start researching now which local salons offer appretiships and when she is at the right age try and get her in a sat position in one of themGood luck to her

Latest posts

Back