debate on solar oil, need expert advice.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyuk

Reaction score
Ok, so i have been having my nails done for a few years now, and most nail techs have recommended Solar oil for after care. As i got to know some of these techs well, i kinda took it for gospel that this was good stuff to use, and it has made my opinions firmer after seeing some posts on here.

My query is really, that my manager has been having her nails done by a mobile tech in her area, and she has told her to use O.P.I hand cream, and advised against the use of oils. Is this right? As i understand it the oil keeps the L and P nails (sorry forgot to mention that this is what she has) flexiable and not brittel. My nails never come off, unless i pull at them, but her's always seem to come off, and she seems to be getting new sets all the time. This in itself will be damaging her nails, but if she used oil, would this elliminate the problem.

Any advice give is helpful.

Amy
xxx

Hi Amy
No amount of any hand cream (whatever make) or oil etc would ever make nail enhancements lift - OTHERWISE WE'D BE ABLE TO SOAK OUR NAILS OFF IN HAND CREAM - nice thought!!
ALL adhesion problems occur in the first seconds of application - if something is in the way of the "key in the door", then lifting can appear at any time after that.

Once the key is in the door! then no amount of oil from above or beneath can cause lifting......if we remember this then it'll really help us solve lifting problems.
95% is poor prep (tailoring prep according to speed and abundance of natural oils)
5% is product touching soft tissue and or mix ratio (happens to beginners more)

It's a good question Amy and it's probably the most misunderstood concept in nail enhancement adhesion. See Geeg's post on "Who has all these oily nails?"

So basically your saying that even if she did use solar oil, the lifting would still happen and she needs to find a better tech???

Thanks for the advice hun, i'm just worried for her nails!!!

Mandini said:
Hi Amy
No amount of any hand cream (whatever make) or oil etc would ever make nail enhancements lift - OTHERWISE WE'D BE ABLE TO SOAK OUR NAILS OFF IN HAND CREAM - nice thought!!
ALL adhesion problems occur in the first seconds of application - if something is in the way of the "key in the door", then lifting can appear at any time after that.

Once the key is in the door! then no amount of oil from above or beneath can cause lifting......if we remember this then it'll really help us solve lifting problems.
95% is poor prep (tailoring prep according to speed and abundance of natural oils)

It's a good question Amy and it's probably the most misunderstood concept in nail enhancement adhesion. See Geeg's post on "Who has all these oily nails?"

Mandini said:
Hi Amy

I was just thinking................"Ooh, she's nice. She seems to know a lot for a new geek. Bet she'll put some noses out of joint"......................Then I saw your name and the penny dropped. Nice to meet ya. x

Oh Amanda now you have me confused!! Just when I think I know it all - NOT!! - along comes another thing to shatter my knowledge!!

Now when I used to do l&p I was told that lanolin, hibiscrub and all products with white soft paraffin in caused murderous lifting. Is this then not true? I get so confused - get taught one thing only to find out it's all wrong wrong wrong!!!

I'm so glad I do gel!

Sass mate you're not losing your marbles - well not completely anyway :wink2:

Just did a search on 'lanolin' and 'Geeg' as I remember a really informative post about it from her but couldn't remember the full details, and found this one:-

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=1117&page=2&pp=15&highlight=lanolin

To summarise - lanolin and other mineral based creams can cause dehydration which in turn can cause lifting as well all know we like nice plump well hydrated natural nails to stop those babies lifting.

So you were on the right lines but not for the right reasons - does that make sense??? :rolleyes: (by the way, I was with you 100%)

Trin
xx

amyuk said:
So basically your saying that even if she did use solar oil, the lifting would still happen and she needs to find a better tech???

Thanks for the advice hun, i'm just worried for her nails!!!

Yes - but go back to the tech that's doing her nails and let her know..... we'd all like to know what happens to our nails. So many clients go elsewhere and we never find out why.

Kimmi Rocks said:
I was just thinking................"Ooh, she's nice. She seems to know a lot for a new geek. Bet she'll put some noses out of joint"......................Then I saw your name and the penny dropped. Nice to meet ya. x

Hi Kimmi, nice to meet you too!! I'm afraid I do too much skulking around on the this board and not enough posting - much of the time it's because I'm worried I won't be able to follow up on posts. However this Autumn/Winter I'm going to be glued to the site!!

Well - I read the thread about lanolin etc and can understand why it could cause dehydration of the product. I've never seen this though - when I had my salon I always asked my clients (lifting or none) what they used as a hand lotion and all sorts came up including the combi of Atrixo and no Solar Oil - these particular clients never had lifting - I remember two of them were no nonsense easy rebalances.

Geeg?? Are you there for this one?!

PS Is glycerin a mineral oil?? It's in RawEarth footrub? :|

Thanks guys, still a bit confused, but basically if they use this type of cream then it's doubly important to oil? You see I was taught that these creams penetrated through porous acrylics and that's what causes the lifting, so when I switched to gel I never even thought about it as it's non porous.

But from what Geeg is saying (thanks trin for pointing me in the right direction) it affects the nail plate and not the product so in theory this could affect gels too?

Although I have to say I no longer get many problems with lifting and so this whole topic doesn't really affect me (apart from having the knowledge), I guess I was trying to blame my lifting probs in my early days on everything apart from my poor technique!

hi sas
didnt we all at some time blame lifting on anything other than ourselves! :o
we all keep learning tho, so things can only get better.
liza

Yeah you're probably right Liza, the trouble is that at the time I really didnt think it was me, I was actually taught that all these things murdered your enhancements and that was what caused the lifting. Now I know better, and now I know that unless the client has knocked or picked at the nail that lifting is pretty much down to me. This has made me improve my prep a zillion times.

Knowledge is power, but only when that knowledge is correct, and most of what I was taught in the early days was incorrect (and I was taught by a school owned by a former Nail Tech of the Year so I thought I was in good hands!, oops pardon the pun!)

Iknow this is slighly off the topic but seeing as we have the best of the best on this thread at the mo i have a question regarding solar oil, can it be used on scares? my belly abd chest is like a map and iv heard the solar oil is good but i'd like to know for sure?

Most definitley it can be used on scars Vicky, solar oil properties are conditioning and moisturising. It's also great to use if you have any areas of dry skin and solar spray is an excellent aftersun so you can also retail it to your clients who are going on their holidays.

David

vicky said:
Iknow this is slighly off the topic but seeing as we have the best of the best on this thread at the mo i have a question regarding solar oil, can it be used on scares? my belly abd chest is like a map and iv heard the solar oil is good but i'd like to know for sure?

Mandini said:
PS Is glycerin a mineral oil?? It's in RawEarth footrub? :|

Hi ya babe,
Glycerin is made from fats: Fats contain glycerin as part of their chemical makeup (both animal and vegetable fats contain from 7% - 13% glycerin).

There ya go babe xxxx

wouldn't lanolin act as a barrier? similar to vaseline... therefore telling me that any 'good properties' in the handcream wouldn't be doing their job as the lanolin would effectively stop them penetrating the nail plate ??? please tell me if I'm thinking the wrong thing.
I was whooping up solar oil to my 2 clients this afternoon, told them about how good it helped my blister scab heal on my hand, the mozzy bites we all suffer from living here etc etc... anyway they listened to what I had to say (thank goodness some of my clients listen lol) and they both bought some.
I did, however, explain that it isn't marketed for anything other than nails :)
there has been a thread recently about the other properties of solar oil apart form using it on enhancements and natural nails...

Latest posts

Back