Defeating the object?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisydo

Reaction score
I had a client today who booked to have Shellac removal which I had not applied and new application. I was really surprised when she sat down as her nails were polished. When I asked her about the shellac removal she said, oh yes I have clear Shellac underneath but did not like any of the colours offered by other salon so chose some polish instead!

She then commented I was more expensive at 22 euros as 'her lady in England' only charges £11 for a clear coat and polish or £16 for full shellac service. Surely having polish over Shellac defeats the object somewhat!

She then nearly finished me off when she took the nail file to show me how to file her nails! She proceeded to 'saw them' whilst complaining that they were brittle, flaking, and peeling. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm x

Your better off not having that lady as a client....i agree there is no point in getting schellac if she doesnt like the colors other than clear...you'd think her nail tech from her homeland would advise differently cause she isnt getting the best of shellac with just clear coat ...what a waste of time.

How rude of her to take over sawing... LOL... her nails .. oh well.. no wonder they are brittle and breaking!
I would have politely ( as hard as that would have been to do ) taken the nail file back and told her how much damage she will cause filing her nails that way, it would have let her know your professional and there is a correct way to file !

Sorry u had to endure a client like that.

Your better off not having that lady as a client....i agree there is no point in getting schellac if she doesnt like the colors other than clear...you'd think her nail tech from her homeland would advise differently cause she isnt getting the best of shellac with just clear coat ...what a waste of time.

How rude of her to take over sawing... LOL... her nails .. oh well.. no wonder they are brittle and breaking!
I would have politely ( as hard as that would have been to do ) taken the nail file back and told her how much damage she will cause filing her nails that way, it would have let her know your professional and there is a correct way to file !

Sorry u had to endure a client like that.

Actually you are both quite wrong!! :hug:

If you apply Shellac base coat then clear x 2 coats ... then top coat and then a colour polish, that polish will wear beautifully and much longer than an ordinary polish service. Of course it will ... you are painting on top of Shellac, you have the extra strength of Shellac, and you have the durability of Shellac. Why wouldn't that work as a wonderful base for polish? Of course it will work and with sufficient aftercare will last a good long time too.

I did explain the sawing was not helping, which she replied with an oops!

Thanks for post Geeg I can see what you mean, don't think she had a good application though as they were a week old and very tired to say the least. It is good to know this can work though x

Like painting over acrylics, why not? It lasts longer than on natural nails, as it does on gel/power polish.
I use base and top coat geleration only on my nails (with one of the new 'outlined' minx on my ring finger) because I love the shine, protection and it stops me nibbling. If I go out I pop a polish on top to match what I'm wearing.

The client shall have want she wants as long as it can be made from my treatment menu.

Gx

I have read somewhere that sawing can help 'seal' the free edge by the heat generated from the friction. Quite the opposite of how I have been taught.

I have read somewhere that sawing can help 'seal' the free edge by the heat generated from the friction. Quite the opposite of how I have been taught.

Sawing?? No.
But with the right grit and the right kind of board, going back and forth gently and quickly to build up friction on the nail edge, can and does actually help to fuse the keratin and seal the edge. But this very much does depend on a fine grit mylar-type of file or buffer and done at the right angle.

Sawing?? No.
But with the right grit and the right kind of board, going back and forth gently and quickly to build up friction on the nail edge, can and does actually help to fuse the keratin and seal the edge. But this very much does depend on a fine grit mylar-type of file or buffer and done at the right angle.

Yes that's what I meant, sorry, my cold has given me brain fog!

On my recent CND conversion course, we were actually showed to 'saw' the nail......we were told hat there is no proof hat this damages the nail........as long as it is done with the correct grit file.

This is really interesting, glad I started this one! We were told it was a no, no except when taking length off. Does anyone know if there are any tutorials or further advice on this? I think it is safe to say though that advice to clients when filing their own nails should still be not to do this x

In one of the CND spa manicure videos it is said that a 240 grit (but nothing below) is fine to go back and forth.

Yeah definatley a 240 grit only on the natural nail. nothing of a lower grit. x

Most of us were taught in College not to "saw" the nails, as we were using an Emory board... as Nail Pros I'm sure no one uses them in the Salon, I use a Kanaga 240 grit file and don't just file in one direction with it!

Me too

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I visited a salon recently to have a Shellac manicure, just because I wanted to be pampered for a change and also I was curious how different the Shellac application is compared to the Gelac which I use in my salon.

The polish chipped the very next day but with a coat of Lumos I managed to get it to last just over a week. The tech etched my natural nail, to the point where I had to ask her to stop as my nail plate was turning red! With Gelac we are taught to remove the surface shine of the nail and etch the nail lightly, though I was under the impression this was not needed with Shellac?

I asked the tech where she trained in Shellac. She said training was not needed as it was really simple to do... mmmm if only I had asked at the beginning!

Actually you are both quite wrong!! :hug:

If you apply Shellac base coat then clear x 2 coats ... then top coat and then a colour polish, that polish will wear beautifully and much longer than an ordinary polish service. Of course it will ... you are painting on top of Shellac, you have the extra strength of Shellac, and you have the durability of Shellac. Why wouldn't that work as a wonderful base for polish? Of course it will work and with sufficient aftercare will last a good long time too.

Sorry Geeg can you clarify this as I'm not quite getting it.
You said shellac base coat, clear two coats, then top coat then regular polish? (that's a lot of coats ) ;)
Where the clear from?
Would it work base coat shellac, regular polish x 2 coats then top coat shellac?
As if you did shellac base coat, shellac top coat then coat of regular polish you would miss out on the shine of the top coat (and protection)
Thanks x

Last edited:
Sorry Geeg can you clarify this as I'm not quite getting it.
You said shellac base coat, clear two coats, then top coat then regular polish? (that's a lot of coats ) ;)
Where the clear from?
Would it work base coat shellac, regular polish x 2 coats then top coat shellac?
As if you did shellac base coat, shellac top coat then coat of regular polish you would miss out on the shine of the top coat (and protection)
Thanks x

I apply a normal Shellac service to myself first using the Clearly Pink (which is the clear coat). This gives me Shellac and the strength I need for my nails ... but in doing this I can change the colour or not as I like using regular polish too.

I use LUMOS as a top coat for the shine.

The base coat would not work on it's own for me but might for some?? I need the strength of a normal Shellac service then the colour. Some times I have just used one coat of the Clearly pink instead of two.

I apply a normal Shellac service to myself first using the Clearly Pink (which is the clear coat). This gives me Shellac and the strength I need for my nails ... but in doing this I can change the colour or not as I like using regular polish too.

I use LUMOS as a top coat for the shine.

The base coat would not work on it's own for me but might for some?? I need the strength of a normal Shellac service then the colour. Some times I have just used one coat of the Clearly pink instead of two.

Thank you x

On my recent CND conversion course, we were actually showed to 'saw' the nail......we were told hat there is no proof hat this damages the nail........as long as it is done with the correct grit file.

Same xx

Latest posts

Back