Dermalogica has just banged the last nail in the coffin!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
One of my clients has gone on line to buy her Dermalogica products after I have been doing her treatments including giving her lots of advice for months.

I was a bit peeved that she didn't buy from me but what can you do, however she has called me today re the voucher scheme they are doing, she has received with her order a £20 voucher off of a facial and on the voucher it says look on line for our registered salons. As I purchase about £20 a month under the amount to be allowed on their website I'm not on it, so naturally she didn't think I was participating and so therefore booked in with a competitor who has taken on Dermalogica in the last couple of months (they get on the register as they are new!!) for her facial!!!

Not only this but she has also been given an incentive to purchase through them again with another money off voucher - brilliant!

Sorry if I'm ranting and not making sense, I'm fuming! So I'm going to do an incentive, I'm going to put the lot on ebay fora £1 and find myself a company that wants to help support my business whilst using and retailing their products - arggghhhhh!!!

You have every right to rant I would be fuming !!
This is why I use Eve Taylor .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm so sorry to hear how bad it's been for you. As a fellow salon, I know the level of commitment we make to our skincare ranges, and the amount of money we spend to try and get it right.

Many years ago, when I was starting out as a beauty therapist, Dermalogica were doing heavy advertising. I was gutted that I couldn't afford them. They were everything I wanted, and their slogans were all "Salon exclusive" "We'll never sell you out" with the very clinical looking products and therapists.

I thought they looked perfect - how wrong can you be?

I'm just sad that so many salons like yours have been taken for a ride, but still there are so many therapists on here that seem to think that skincare begins and ends with Dermalogica.

I'm sure there are no legal loopholes to help with this, but at least you'll be able to sell it on Ebay, because everyone else does!

Best of luck

Vic x

And this is a reason to avoid Dermalogica like the plague. I hope you sell the stuff quickly and easily. Im sure i read though that Dermalogica would buy back off of you if you were to leave them. Worth checking cos then you could get more money for it and tell them to stick it at the same time.

Hope you find another brand you like asap for your business x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Dermalogica will buy back any unopened stock, but they do charge you 5% for doing it.
I'm looking at new skin care line as I am sick of Dermalogica doing me over at every turn. Some brands will buy the stock you have from an existing brand as an incentive to buy there's.

If your looking at a new line have a look at image skincare it's distributors in the UK are skin geeks, it's a cosmeceautical range and it's fabulous I've been using for 3 yrs now it can't be bought over the Internet and can only be sold within salons/clinics who stock the products xxxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been "down graded" to a "b" rated salon by my rep at Dermalogica ha ha! Because I do not buy a constant £400 per month of products from them...maybe I would if it wasn't available online discounted & clients able to buy directly from them too. I feel the same but I've invested so much money i simply couldn't just get rid of it. I would however take on another brand of which I will be this year...Environ, I do still like Dermalogica brand & their education is fantastic.
Anyway totally understand how you feel, although I do feel nowadays that a lot of brands that were once "salon only" now either sell directly to the public, are stocked in chemists, department stores, online sellers that discount it, it's infuriating - the genuine salon only suppliers now are few & far between x

How much do u have to order from them to be on their website or be "b" rated? X

How much do u have to order from them to be on their website or be "b" rated? X

I've no idea the rep didn't tell me, just sprung it on me at the end of her last visit, I did understand it means I will no longer have a rep visit me every 6 weeks unless I call them to say I want one, I'm on the salon Finder, the rep said Id been made a "b" grade because I've been with them over a year - not sure if I believe that - any other Dermalogica salons had this happen? Some months I order £200 some it can be £400+ so not sure what the rep was talking about - but a visit every 6 weeks - I've been with them nearly 2 years & had a visit 4 times so find that laughable.

but a visit every 6 weeks - I've been with them nearly 2 years & had a visit 4 times so find that laughable.

That's dreadful! I've been with Decleor for 7 years and have always had a rep visit every 6 weeks without fail! How are you supposed to grow your business if you have no support from the supplier you are working with?!

To the OP, have you spoken to Dermalogica about this? I'd be interested to know what they say about it? Xx

That's dreadful! I've been with Decleor for 7 years and have always had a rep visit every 6 weeks without fail! How are you supposed to grow your business if you have no support from the supplier you are working with?!

You've hit the nail on the head Martin, simply it won't grow if they won't support a business also it doesn't exactly make you want to grow with them either hence I'll be taking on another brand shortly x

One of my clients has gone on line to buy her Dermalogica products after I have been doing her treatments including giving her lots of advice for months.

I was a bit peeved that she didn't buy from me but what can you do, however she has called me today re the voucher scheme they are doing, she has received with her order a £20 voucher off of a facial and on the voucher it says look on line for our registered salons. As I purchase about £20 a month under the amount to be allowed on their website I'm not on it, so naturally she didn't think I was participating and so therefore booked in with a competitor who has taken on Dermalogica in the last couple of months (they get on the register as they are new!!) for her facial!!!

Not only this but she has also been given an incentive to purchase through them again with another money off voucher - brilliant!

Sorry if I'm ranting and not making sense, I'm fuming! So I'm going to do an incentive, I'm going to put the lot on ebay fora £1 and find myself a company that wants to help support my business whilst using and retailing their products - arggghhhhh!!!

Yes I have done skin treatments for clients that have then gone online & purchased because online retailers are selling it cheaper than we are in the salon - I now tell them I will match the price of authorised retailers online, yes I loose out but what else can you do?
Let us know what you defiantly decide what you're doing as I'm feeling a little deflated with them too x

I rang them straight away, told them I wanted to make a complaint so could they put me through to a manager. I was fobbed off, she looked at my spend and said "oh the reason you wouldn't be on our website is because of your monthly spend, however you're not far off, would you like a rep to come and see you and help get your retail up". She also went on to say that even though Salon's think of the store locator as a marketing tool it's not, it's just to make sure potential customer go to a salon that stocks everything. I told her I've never heard such rubbish, they've done a promotion and told people to look for a registered stockist on their website, that marketing!!!

I rang them straight away, told them I wanted to make a complaint so could they put me through to a manager. I was fobbed off, she looked at my spend and said "oh the reason you wouldn't be on our website is because of your monthly spend, however you're not far off, would you like a rep to come and see you and help get your retail up". She also went on to say that even though Salon's think of the store locator as a marketing tool it's not, it's just to make sure potential customer go to a salon that stocks everything. I told her I've never heard such rubbish, they've done a promotion and told people to look for a registered stockist on their website, that marketing!!!

They have slowly become more interested in selling their own products directly to the public on their retail site instead of giving the support to small salon businesses. Why not have them send your rep or ask for your national rep to visit you as you want their expertise in your business to help it grow...surely they won't say no to this and you can voice your concerns and that you are at your last tether with them? X

Surely if the web sites make money selling it cheaper & you match the price you will still make money as they have to pay the postage on top? So the more u match it the more your clients will buy from you? Most web site are now crippled by the price structure & sell at higher prices than before?

Surely if the web sites make money selling it cheaper & you match the price you will still make money as they have to pay the postage on top? So the more u match it the more your clients will buy from you? Most web site are now crippled by the price structure & sell at higher prices than before?

They're not selling it cheaper, they are giving away a £20 voucher off of a facial and £10 off your next purchase, this client only bought one product for around £26.00, obviously they can afford to do this (for a limited period) as the mark up is probably huge, I can't as I would be about £15 out of pocket!

I'm seriously considering leaving dermalogica before. It's the most expensive but poorest investment I've ever made in my business.
I still to this day (3 years later) don't think I've made my initial investment back. Clients just don't buy it! They come in and I talk them through everything and ask if they want to buy, they say they'll think about it, I give them a sample and they do buy it but not from me! Online sales has officially killed dermalogica!

It's not just online sales, it's the fact that is available pretty much everywhere on the high street and in department stores.

People will pick up a bottle of whatever while they're doing everything else, rather than make a trip to the place that has recommended their products.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really need to make an order but I can't bring myself to do it!

I'm thinking of winding it down slowly and introducing a more superior professional brand, Environ looks good and lot's of you ladies rave about it.

Latest posts

Back