Dermalogica retailers, are you losing sales to web based sites????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that the majority of my facial clients are quite wealthy and will purchase a product there and then, they wouldn't dream of going home and trawling the internet for a product at the very lowest price to then wait for delivery.

The Waitrose customer rather then Asda customer.

:)

It may indeed be a wealth factor. My clinic is in Arundel, which is a small olde worlde town in West Sussex with castle & cathedral and many of them have only just become au fait with e-mails, let alone online shopping! As for Waitrose or Asda, mine seem to be neither, they shop in delicatessens!

And here in Kingsclere we have people who have private chefs!
(Andrew Lloyd Webber lives here, tha knows!)

I must state up front that I currently work for Dermalogica.
They DO NOT know that I am replying to the thread, and I am not authorised to speak on behalf of the company.

However, I feel that I should answer some of the questions, for the sake of those of us who do care.

Not everything the company does is always great, but they are the best company I have worked for.

In the role I fill, I know that Dermalogica is NOT sold in any Boots store. And it will NOT be sold in any Boots store. If you do not believe me, wait and see if this is true.

Can you offer any suggestions as to why there are Dermalogica stands in Boots, please?

I have no idea... if there are any such stands. But I know that there is NO product.

I am at home today, but will make more enquiries tomorrow.

Please let me know in which Boots branch you have seen the stands, and if possible, can you get a pic.

I've not seen this, but if you look at post#50 in this thread you'll see someone (Teebster) who has. She even gave a phone number somewhere of the store in question.

I did call the number.
01227 470944
ext 3 for Fragrance & Cosmetics

and was told that they do NOT stock Dermalogica and have NEVER had it, and that there is a bit of confusion at the moment, with lots of calls about a rumour.

You can trust me, as my colleagues and I would have to know... Boots DO NOT and WILL NOT have Dermalogica.

The store is in Cantebury.

I am not in the UK - I'm in America and I'm not exactly sure what Boots is, but I did email them and am waiting for their response. We have retail stores called "ULTA" and "Beauty First" who are basically beauty supply stores for the general public. They sell everything from Elizabeth Arden, to hair dryers, fragrances, etc. Dermalogica is definitely inside those stores and is displayed where the Elizabeth Arden merchandise is. THAT is the problem.

Dermalogica began as a professional line that could be retailed through licensed outlets (salons/spas). It was apparently never intended to be mass-marketed. In fact, Jane stood up and declared that "Sephora" wanted to distribute dermalogica and Jane proudly refused (based on her principles that founded the company, one would assume).

THAT is the gripe we are all having. What dermalogica once was, it no longer is.

They can say what they like, but eyes don't lie. They are online being distributed through unlicensed sources, and they are in retail stores also being sold by unlicensed sources (and are training these unlicensed sales clerks their Face Mapping methods), and they are selling DIRECT from the dermalogica website in France. These ARE the FACTS.

I cannot speak for the USA as I do not know excatly what they do, as I do not deal directly with them.

Boots is a retail chain of chemists in the UK that DO NOT have treatment rooms and DO NOT have licenced therapists. So... they DO NOT have Dermalogica.

I can only guess that the outlets you name in the US do have treatment rooms. I dont know. and qualified therapists.

In the UK a dept was set up to look at the internet, full time and closes down about 4 to 5 accounts each week that either sell on ebay, or are selling the professional product. I can only assume that America are doing the same thing. I know because I am in the link that takes back the returned stock after closing.

She also tracks down unauthorised sellers and tries to see where they are getting their stock. to close down the supply.

Knowing the company, I think that anyone who wants to see this in action should ask, and I'm almost sure they will be invited to visit.

It is a problem, that has arisen because of the heavy demand for the product.

Skininsider - thankyou for coming to the site and letting us know what is happening. I think that the biggest problem here is the authorised retailers who are selling the product at heavily discounted prices, and because of the discounts they get buying it from Dermalogica the smaller salon can find it difficult to cope.

Obviously due to Price Fixing laws it isn't possible for Dermalogica to require everyone to retail at the RRP, but it certainly is going against the spirit of the principles the company was founded upon.

Mat xx

In the UK a dept was set up to look at the internet, full time and closes down about 4 to 5 accounts each week that either sell on ebay, or are selling the professional product.

quote]

Interesting that you only mention accounts that sell on ebay or the professional products and not the authorised salons that have their own websites that sell products cheaper. So that is allowed then ?

Most of us are aware of some sites based in Jersey that are Dermalogica salons but there are also quite a few others that come up on google, like this one Donna Maisey Skin Care for Dermalogica, Nioxin, Nailtiques, TIGI Bed Head & More I notice she has even won an award from the british beauty awards !!

I didn't realise account holders could actually undercut as long as it is their own website and not ebay, whats the difference exactly ?

Had to laugh at the french website, selling the products direct but they also have a page stating why they DON'T sell direct !!!! Pot & Kettle ?!

Dermalogica

The fact is that their not only lying about being available in chemists and beauty stores but there actually telling lies on their own websites saying as bombini stated not selling online! Thats unbeliveable , the following is in the FAQ's of the french website the link of which is on bombinis post:

Can I buy Dermalogica online?

Due to the importance of prescribing our products to meet individual skin needs, we do not sell our products online, nor do we recommend that you purchase them online. We strongly recommend that you speak with a skin care therapist near you to get a proper product prescription for your skin condition.

Then you can just add the stuff to your basket :) thats funny! Good one bombini :)

charles1902,

Did you have any idea your thread would start such a hot debate?

Very interesting, to be sure!

It's the "cheating husband syndrome" ... "No, honey, I wasn't kissing that girl." "I SAW you kissing her! Stop lying to me!"

PS - it was me who found the French online site. FYI

Just looking at the UK FAQ (here) it states:

Dermalogica stands behind the efficacy of every product we sell, if you have purchased it from an authorized location. Unauthorized locations, including many internet selling sites, may sell counterfeit and outdated products, and should be avoided as we do not guarantee their authenticity.

The page doesn't say that they don't allow authorised centres to sell online, they only imply that it may well be unlicensed. This is of course after the question further up saying you should only by products prescribed by your skin therapist - again implying from them directly.

I have tried to get some answers for you.

I have been told, that it is totally illegal to try and prevent ANYONE, even if it is an authorised person, from selling ANYTHING at ANY PRICE, within the UK or Europe. It is not allowed even to discuss the matter with them

The fines that have given to other companies runs to MILLIONS.

If an item becomes very popular, this tends to happen.

I will try and find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back