Dermalogica retailers, are you losing sales to web based sites????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I promise you it was there and I did make the phone call, I don't use it and am a student so it is out of my league to use on client's, but I am telling the truth and so now only time will tell. Why would Boots print off a stock lable and put it on their shelf. I hope it is a mistake somehow as it will have a huge impact for a lot of people, but they have never stocked declor before?

Sorry, I promise you it was there and I did make the phone call, I don't use it and am a student so it is out of my league to use on client's, but I am telling the truth and so now only time will tell. Why would Boots print off a stock lable and put it on their shelf. I hope it is a mistake somehow as it will have a huge impact for a lot of people, but they have never stocked declor before?

Hey teebster

I am NOT accusing you of lying at all chicken :hug:

It just seems strange that the lady on the cosmetics bit of that number said no they were not.

I don't think boots have stocked Decleor before but I know its sometimes in TKMaxx, well in my area it is.

Becki xxx

Right, I have just rung again on that number and pressed option 3 for fragrance and cosmetics. I said they my mum had seen the declor products and that they had a dermalogica lable next to it but no products where they going to stock them. The lady kindly went and had a look and said that the Declor products were out already but the Dermalogica was not out yet. I said are you sure you will be stocking them and she said "Oh Yes, the labels are there just no products yet. Sorry I can tell you when they will be in as the skincare consultant is not here at the moment and I don't know when". I said are you deffinately sure as I would like to buy some and she said oh yes it is all set up with labels on the shelves.

Hope I am wrong but I am not lying - why would I.

Last edited:
To address Bexi's post, "I have just spoken directly with a marketing lady at Dermalogica and she absolutely denied this, so I'm not sure if maybe your mistaken?".

Bexi, this is exactly what we are talking about. Dermalogica (the company and it's new leadership and it's employees) has changed irreparably. I personally don't know who is in charge of this new "turn your back on the people you created and who built your brand", but I do know that several years ago (April 2007 to be exact) dermalogica appointed a President for the first time in their history. I can't recall if the changes were occurring before then, or if it has gotten much worse since then. (?)

See, I have been a "cult member" of dermalogica for the bulk of my career (nearly 20 years now), and have looked to them for education, guidance, motivation, etc. and have proudly told the dermalogica story thousands of times ... you know the one ... 'small town girl does good in the big city' ... 'this is a unique company built on the highest standards' ... 'we aren't anything like those "Cosmetics" companies' ... 'this company was founded on the principle of education first, then product distribution through the recommendation of your licensed skin pro - that is how you know you are getting the right products for your skin' ... and so on.

It was dermalogica who taught us that we should be seeing equal service to retail sales ratios IN OUR SALONS & SPAS! So how can we do what they teach us to do when we educate our client about their skin, and recommend (supposedly) professional products, pick and choose the best items for these clients and then have those clients go elsewhere to purchase them??? We can't.

I have read threads like this one on several other message boards, and what I find surprising is how some people will take the argument that this is "just business" or that dermalogica is just "keeping with the times". Dermalogica isn't a new start-up company that needs to do whatever it can to stay competitive and profitable. They are well established world-wide. It comes down to honor. If you stand up and say that you are a company who supports and protects the industry that made you, then keep your promises. I think GREED has infiltrated dermalogica and they have sold their souls to make a buck. Since they are already a reported 100 million dollar company, wasn't that enough???

I always considered dermalogica to be a professional line/range that could be retailed. Their vision of distributing through the recommendation of a licensed skin pro is over. When you no longer need a professional's recommendation to purchase products, the line/range ceases to be a professional line/range. Now since dermalogica can be purchased by anyone who walks into a retail store or online by anonymous sellers - no professional recommendation needed - then dermalogica is no different than Estee Lauder, L'Oreal or Mary Kay.

I'm sorry I am going on and on about this, but when you have put faith in a company and its people for so long and have based your business on it's success, and it lets you down HARD, then it stings for a long time. The good news is that I have found a line/range that is still professional, does not and will not allow for online sales of any kind, and now I can finally move on with my life! IF this company slips, then I will either go private label, or just quit the biz for good. Wish me luck.

OH! WAIT! One more thing ... DERMALOGICA IS SELLING FROM THEIR OWN WEBSITE IN FRANCE!!!

Dermalogica

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE OF DERMALOGICA!!! (and kiss your business good-bye!)

What a load of Bollox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope that they crumble

I do think its so sad about the whole dermalogica situation. Although I'm not the longest serving tribe member, I did go to congress last year and had a fabulous time. Jane herself seems a lovely lady and my landlord is friends with her and confirms my thoughts.

Maybe greed has got the better of dermalogica...maybe not.

I am contacting Dermalogica about the whole boots affair, I will pass on the number etc.

TBH if the boots thing is true I will be leaving Dermalogica which is a complete shame as I LOVE the product but I already fight with boots for st. tropez I am not doing for Dermalogica as well.

I wonder how many tribe members will leave too,

Such a shame :cry:

Becki xxx

What a load of Bollox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope that they crumble

I doubt they will crumble, but I can understand your sentiments. As someone once said, don't get mad, get even.
Choose a new range, convert your clients, and let karma do its work.

Well I have to say if Boots do start stocking Dermalogica then although I won't be at all impressed it wouldn't make me stop stocking them. Actually if it was sold without prescription then I probably would eventually but if they started setting up skin spas (like clarins) then I don't feel this would affect me as the majority of my clients wouldn't dream of walking through a department store after a facial !

Its not ideal but a LOT of the big name brands are sold in department stores and when I worked in a Clarins & Decleor Spa it didn't really affect our retail sales at all, I used to sell approx £1000 of retail per month and Clarins was available a 5 min walk away in Debenhams and Decleor at House of Fraser in the next town.

I choose Dermalogica mainly for the treatments and training, the retail is just a bonus for me although id be a liar if I said I didn't want extra sales !

There are a few Decleor products on the Boots website now, no Dermalogica....yet! x

Bombini...I can see what you mean...however retail sales can end up being as important as treatments to some salons...a friend of mine get about 20% of her profits from selling the dermalogica as she's the only salon near her town that stocks it.....however there is a boots in her town..so now what for her? the problem will then be if Decleor and Dermalogica become so widely available and can be bought at very competitive prices at boots etc the novelty may eventually wear off with people who get facials and they'll just buy the stuff in boots and give themselves facials!! They shouldn't be doing this to the people who made their millions for them, its a disgrace. My friend should have a share in that company for the promoting and branding she does for them and now they go and kick it back at people like yourself and her......cruel cruel!!

:cry: i feel very upset about this news i am due to open my own sml rent a room salon and have taken the plunge with dermalogica as i have worked with it for a number of yrs , i was already worried about doing this but hoped that the dermo name would bring people in to have the facials etc however if they can walk into boots why would they bother coming xxx i feel very let down as i only had the talk with the rep last week who assured me it was a salon based product blah blah blah .
well thankyou very much dermalogica !!!!!:cry:

Hi all,
I called Dermalogica today and been told they will NEVER sell the products in Boots or QVS channel.

I can’t accuse them of anything, at the moment, as I have not seen or heard anyone to buy the products from Boots.
Anca

If you can prove that the rep told you it was a salon based product and they're now selling it in Boots you can bring up the subject of breach of contract.

If I were in the position of all you therapists Dermalogica wouldn't get another penny from me. I don't mean to sound harsh but whingeing about it on here will certainly be cathartic but it won't alter Dermalogica's position. They're in business to stay in business, just like you, and if they have decided that the way forward is to take it into Boots etc I doubt there's anything you can do other than vote with your feet. It'll be in Tesco and Argos next!
I've said it before but it bears repeating: this is part of the reason that I chose a smaller brand. "Why would someone come to me when every man and his dog offers Dermalogica?"

I find it quite shocking that they wont let mobile therapists stock the products but are now (alledgedly) (sp) stocking it in Boots :eek:

I find it quite shocking that they wont let mobile therapists stock the products but are now (alledgedly) (sp) stocking it in Boots :eek:

I was thinking the same thing earlier lol. There have been threads before about Dermalogica suddenly supplying mobile therapists, it never happened and i doubt it will.

To be honest I really don't think Dermalogica will sell in boots IF they were going to sell direct to the consumer then I think they'd probably go into Harrods or Selfridges, something slightly more upmarket.

I know people say Dermalogica is to over saturated in salons etc, but it has certainly done my business no harm since Ive stocked it, I had a smaller range before and hardly sold anything and didn't get a massive amount of facials unless i really pushed it, since having Dermalogica the products and treatments sell themselves, as a salon we now get quite a few clients come in to get hair & beauty price lists after seeing the Dermalogica logo in adverts, website etc.

As a company they have different offers each month not to mention the vast amount of free training they offer.

Dermalogica gets knocked so often and they do have there faults like many other companies but they also have a lot of positives which never get mentioned.

As I said before Decleor is quite widely available now (you can even buy some products out the littlewoods catalogue!!!) but it never affected our sales at the spa and tbh i find most people that purchase products of the net don't even have the treatments.

As I said before Decleor is quite widely available now (you can even buy some products out the littlewoods catalogue!!!) but it never affected our sales at the spa and tbh i find most people that purchase products of the net don't even have the treatments.

I agree, although you can buy a limited range of the Decleor retail products in other retail outlets, it hasn't affected my sales. In fact, I find that the brand recognition often helps. I've had people who have tried the product after buying it from a concession & loved the product so much they have sought out to try a Decleor facial. I also agree there are a lot of people who buy on the net who don't ever have treatments.

Also, when I suggest products to them after the facial they tend to buy them there & then; I've never had anyone go off looking for the products elsewhere, they want them straight away.

I've been thinking about this whole situation, and its fairly obvious that Dermalogica in the past few years has taken some significant strategy decisions it kind of hoped the tribe wouldn't notice or kick up too much of a fuss about.

Even if we ignore the potential Boots issue there has still been a major shift in the direction of the company and where its priorities lie.

And for me they haven't been open enough about this strategy shift. They almost need to introduce a new model for working with smaller salons. The treatments still rock, and they need to be done by Dermalogica therapists. However retail sales has changed, Salon's may not find it more cost effective to stock a smaller range of products - the most popular / key products and these need to be priced accordingly for these smaller clients. And they need to reduce their account opening value requirement in order to get more therapists.

Afterall without the therapists offering face mapping or treatments who else is going to introduce a client to the great products?

Mat

And they need to reduce their account opening value requirement in order to get more therapists.

[/quote]

I agree with everything you said except the above quote. There does not need to be any more therapists - particularly where I live! They need to concentrate on the salons they do have!

Becki x

I agree, although you can buy a limited range of the Decleor retail products in other retail outlets, it hasn't affected my sales. In fact, I find that the brand recognition often helps. I've had people who have tried the product after buying it from a concession & loved the product so much they have sought out to try a Decleor facial. I also agree there are a lot of people who buy on the net who don't ever have treatments.

Also, when I suggest products to them after the facial they tend to buy them there & then; I've never had anyone go off looking for the products elsewhere, they want them straight away.

Couldn't of put it better myself ! :)

Not really a lot I can add to that. I find that the majority of my facial clients are quite wealthy and will purchase a product there and then, they wouldn't dream of going home and trawling the internet for a product at the very lowest price to then wait for delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back