Dermalogica - worth investing in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passionate

Reaction score
I love Dermalogica and trained with it in college but was wondering because as it such a big outlay at the beginning and two other salons in my area that use it is it worth investing in? Is it still as popular as it used to be?

There have been a lot of salons that have closed their accounts. Repeated price increases, excessive new product releases, now for sale in airports and department stores, online sellers undercutting RRP, no support or online listing for accounts spending less then £500 a month.

Personally I don't think they are worth what they once were because they have devalued the brand in my opinion. Other companies are now really giving them a serious run if their money! My chosen skincare firm I example, Eve Taylor, have no minimum order, have amazing face and new body products, a range cosmeceuticals, 40 years experience and very affordable training.

That all said some people still do well with Dermalogica. But f you have two salons already with it then maybe looking at something to set yourself apart will be better.

Mat

Why be like everyone else?
When I was looking for a brand I chose one that was niche, exclusive and with a cult following!
No minimum order, either...

Thanks for your replies! I do want to stand out so I might go for something different. I'll check out Eve Taylor & Swiss Dermyl !

have you thought about Pharmagel as a skin care range? It is a very popular skin care range in the US down to its scientific research.
Its a mixture of antioxidants combined with paharmaceutical grade ingredients work to improve the apparenace and condition of the skin.

Clients I have used the products on, have ended up buying some of the products too so its great for retail too!!

They also do some good offers as you get bonus sizes when buying products.

:)

Well what can I say I have used Dermalogica for 4 years and am now an expert therapist... All there training is free and the products fly off my shelves I just think you need to be passionate about the products and they will sell themselves

I have to agree with Tracey Dermalogica is fab & products fly off the shelves because it does what it says on the bottle? The opening order is all your stock professional & retail the free training for life? For all staff old or new? Every show I go to its always there stand & Cnd every one is queuing at? That says it all for me x

Yes, Dermalogica is still very popular with clients. :)
If you are a salon I would say look into it but if you are working from home or/and not have much trade, best is to find a skin care with smaller opening order and less products. hth

Thanks for your replies! I do want to stand out so I might go for something different. I'll check out Eve Taylor & Swiss Dermyl !

I can definitely recommend eve Taylor as their prices are so reasonable! I'm working my way through the swissdermyl samples (thanks Lynne) and liner also sent some FSB little add ins like lash curlers, innovative eyeliners andmascatas to diversify. We're currently doing one of those new 'Facebook offers' on them!

Also, church pharmacy have a beauty therapist stock list you can order from and products like jan Marini you can order individual items and there is no minimum. The girls are friendly and helpful which is a bonus. Great if you don't want to hold loads of stock!

Newbie here so apologies if im posting this incorrectly!
i am a Dermalogica stockist and have been for some while. i love the products, thats for sure however i am feeling increasingly disappointed in them as a company.
Dermalogica promised that they would never sell online - you can now buy online from Dermalogica directly online AND they offer incentives which are not available to us as stockists to give to our customers!
so frustrating and unfair.

Last edited:
We hear this so often, that xyz skincare company promised that they would never sell to qvc, eBay, amazon, Tesco etc, and lo and behold, guess what!
We actively watch all such outlets and if we should find any of our customers selling SwissDermyl inappropriately we will terminate their contract immediately. It is of utmost importance to us that our therapists' businesses are protected and promoted, not jeopardised and cheapened.
I'm genuinely at a loss as to why dermalogica is allowing this; it's not as if they need the business, and I can't imagine that they're enjoying the publicity.

My only comment on this is that, as a manufacturer/distributor, we do not have opening orders. Reason being, why should highly trained therapists who may not have the reserves, or live in more depressed areas, be penalised ? When I started in this business, I had no capital to speak of but had suppliers who were prepared to invest in me and my experience rather than my bank balance JMO xxx

Us too, moosebat. Our only stipulation is that your opening order for SwissDermyl needs to have enough product in it to actually carry out a whole facial treatment. No point buying just a face wash alone; it won't adequately illustrate the range. No minimum order after that, and we wouldn't dream of charging to be on our salon locator tool! (I really am astonished about that; it's nothing short of blatant profiteering)

Totally agree with you

Latest posts

Back