Diabetes and nail services.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missgiggles

Reaction score
Hi all :) My mum has just been diagnosed with diaebities today , and i no from bits from what my tutor has said that you have to be really realllyyy careful.

And she wants her nails doing tonight ( acrylic nails) , so really what im asking is what else do you need to be careful of with a client who has diabetes. I no a few is that you have to be careful with filing incase you nip the skin , and also dont cut the nails to short.

Is there anything else?
thanks all :)

Hi,

Now, I dont claim to be an expert on this and i am a gel tech so dont know l&p. But I was always told that Diabetes sufferers can suffer from impaired circulation in fingers and toes called sensory neuropathy.
And as you state, they do not notice cuts etc around fingers and cannot feel heat (i.e: heat spike with gel) So you have to take extra care when applying products etc. Also, I was taught that it could be best to remove nails regularly to check nail has not altered from before extensions so that you can keep an eye on if any infections etc have occured as the client may not be aware of this due to the lack of sensitivity.

Hope this helps?? x

Sanitation, first and foremost. Don't cut/nick the skin. Same for ALL clients.

One thing is, the acrylic MAY not stick. My BFF is diabetic and NOTHING stays on her nails. L&P lifted, gels lifted and even Shellac didn't last on her.

Best of luck and I wish your mom all the best. :)

Thanks girls! I'm shocked cos she's only 40! But I suppose it happens to everyone
I did her a set of acrylic last night and they look brill. Thanks for the advice
X

I am a diabetic and it is the complete opersite for me. I and all other diabetics I know are over sensitive we feel EVERYTHING! So pl be careful with us!

I am a diabetic and it is the complete opersite for me. I and all other diabetics I know are over sensitive we feel EVERYTHING! So pl be careful with us!

Thats really interesting, I was always told the opposite, Best to actually ask a diabetic so it seems! haha. I have never had a diabetic client but i will be sure to be careful if i ever do, Thanks for the info

I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent 4 years ago aged 43.

I had my nails done for 10 years prior to being diagnosed and didn't stop until recently and thats only because I now prefer to wear DD on my nails.
If your mum has only just been diagnosed then she will be fine with having her nails done. Its when you've had it 10-15 years that comlications can start and thats only if her blood sugars haven't been controlled well.

Living with diabetes is a pain in the *rs* and can be very depressing so if your mum wants her nails done, then you keep on doing them. As others have said just becareful that the skin doesn't get nipped. Its true that diabetics take longer to heal.

Thank you all :). My mum is only 40 and just been diagnosed. I've said to her I will do your nails , I've told risks etc and I'm EXTRA careful now!

This is a very useful thread. When I was training I was more concerned with memorising how to recognise and categorise contraindications than the reasons WHY they were contraindications iykwim. I'm trying to learn more about it all now I'm working mobile x

Yes this is true, my mum is like this as well.
Diabetics become insensitive to heat/pain at advanced/bad cases of diabetes. If you watch what you eat and take medication regularly it won't get to that stage until an old age.

Really useful, im glad it was started as I will find it useful if i pass my course. :hug:

ditto. I am trying to find as much information as i can , just so im knownledgeable about diabetes , and what i can and cant offer.

I am a beauty therapist and Podiatrist so therefore treat diabetics.

Diabetics can be categorised as low, medium or high risk. this depends on how they maintain their diabetes ie. diet and medication.
They can be hypersensitive or have no sensation at all. this is called neuropathy. If a diabetic has just been diagnosed they are likely to be absolutely fine for all/most treatments. however they do have an impaired healing rate and therefore if you cut the skin or burn them they may take a long time to heal or they may develop a wound which can become infected.

As a podiatrist, I treat the diabetic foot and some patients have such bad healing that a small cut of the skin can develop into a would which may not heal and worse case senario they may have to have an amputation.

So do be careful and check with your client how they heal and how their diabetes is. Its worth doing a little reading on Type 1 and type 2 diabetics

Hi there
and Hi to Beauty Point. It's nice to know there is a fellow POD out there:)

It is a good idea to read up on Diabetes and maybe try to get to know a local podiatrist who can advise you too. I would be happy if local salons did this as it may reduce some misconceptions. this kind of co-operation would be great.

Clients with diabetes may find themselves on a cocktail of drugs that can affect their skin, nails, healing and circulation too. They can also be prone to delamination of the nails and fungal infections (skin and nails). Autonomic neuropathy can lead to dry skin but don't always accept that it's just this as tinea pedis can present as dry flaky white skin too. I know many many doctors who haven't recognised this (and sorry, many podiatrists too)

Anyway, it just takes a little careul thought, extra care with tools, heat and especially hygiene. Always remember that they may not shrug off a nick or gaze as well as other and this can be a portal of entry for infection. (I know I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here, I don't mean to be patronising but we podiatrists can see some really terrible sights)

one last thing, and this is just my personal opinion. I dont like to label people so I don't call people diabetics. Rather PEOPLE with diabetes.
cheers all

Latest posts

Back