Diabetes - my client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppercorn Nails

Reaction score
I have a client with diabetes......currently she takes no medication for it although this may change within the next 2 months.

When she first came to me I got her to fill in a consultation form before I started her service. However, when I checked it over, some how or another I missed the fact that she had diabetes (very poor on my part I know!). Anyway sculpted p&w on her and she was really pleased. She came back 5 weeks later with 1 nail missing but the rest looking like a 2/3 week client. Continued with a rebalance.

Last time she came (4 week rebalance) she mentioned about her diabetes.....well I just froze, I couldn't believe I'd been so negligent when looking at her consultation sheet. I checked it again and sure enough she had mentioned it, I just hadn't seen it.

With this in mind I then thought right the only way to rectify this is to send a late letter to her doctor asking for his permission. I did this and she took it to him a couple of weeks ago.

I saw her this morning and I asked her what he thought. Apparently when she handed him my letter and had a slip at the bottom for him to tick yes or no, to sign and return to her, he just told her no and that if he started doing this sort of thing he wouldn't have any time to practice!!! Apparently he was quite incensed! He said that it would have to be her decision!

Well where does that leave us? I have tried to do the right thing and this was the first time I have had to send a letter, but really I feel it has made a mockery of me trying to be professional.

Do I carry on with this lady............do I get her to sign a disclaimer? I really feel annoyed about this. Have any of you ever had to send a contra-indication letter out before........what sort of response have you had?

Adele

as far as i was aware you can perform extensions on diabetes sufferers. it may be an idea to ask her to sign a disclaimer, if only to cover your self just in case.

you have to be carefull when buffing as you may damage her because she will not feel pain as quickly as other clients, also maybe sit her down and ask her what you should do if she goes hypo or hypa, and ask what the signs are.

there was quite a long thread on this last month, and from what i remember, the general rule of thumb was, yes, but take extra care!

What a rude dr. I can only assume that he doesnt find it as a threat, otherwise he would have said no, then had a go at her for time waisting.

What a @#*?$% !!!!!!!

Hi

I have never been in this situation before. But from memory I thought that it was up to the client to approach the doctor and ask for 'him' to write a letter saying all was ok (or not), you would have to give details of the treatment for her to give to him. I also thought that this would be classed as private healthcare and that your client would have to pay for the letter (ie. not NHS).

I do not know what to advise regarding the future for your client, perhaps someone who has had direct experience of this situation can assist?

As she has had her nails done and she seems happy with them, ask her if she wants to carry on, if she does, get her to sign a note on your consultation form.

I believe diabetics take longer to heal and sometimes cannot feel sensations as quickly, like the post said before no nicks.

She could always get another Dr's opinion if she is worried by his comments.

Deb379

Deb379 said:
As she has had her nails done and she seems happy with them, ask her if she wants to carry on, if she does, get her to sign a note on your consultation form.

I believe diabetics take longer to heal and sometimes cannot feel sensations as quickly, like the post said before no nicks.

She could always get another Dr's opinion if she is worried by his comments.

Deb379

As long as you do as Deb379 suggests then I can't see a problem. I have two diabetic ladies who are over the moon that they are able to have long nails again ( condition causing them to split). They have to sign the declaration stating that they are happy for me to proceed. One of the ladies use to suffer with the skin around her nails splitting and becoming very sore. NO MORE SINCE SHE STARTED USING SOLAR OIL :) :)

Kind Regards
Louise

Latest posts

Back