Did any of you hair pros wonder if you were cut out for it in the beginning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhead

Reaction score
I have got my interview on Wednesday for Level 2 NVQ hairdressing. I am now doubting whether or not I'm cut out for it or got what it takes. I'm 36 years old and concerned I don't have enough time to master hairdressing, I feel as though its something that should have been done from leaving school. I also feel as though my interview is so late in the academic year that my application wasn't as interesting a read as others. I was told that it is first come first served and it is a very popular course. No confidence what so ever. Advice Please. very worried and nervous. :cry:

None of us can tell you if this is for you or not. But, all of us started out not knowing if we could do it or not. I spent sooo much time sobbin in the staff room in my first job, but I got there in the end.
Remember nobody is "born" doing hair. We all learn it in the same way, some of us take it to the heights that we can, some are happy working at an easy level.
It is a great industry as there is room for every type of hairdresser.

So take a bravery pill and try it out. Best of luck x

I just wanted to say when I was doing my hair/nail cources, most of the ladies in my class were mature students, and I know a lot of stylists including myself who are sucessful in their career who didnt train straight out of school. It was actualy realy nice to be in lessons with all different ages and alot were back in education after having kids young. Go for it and dont worry about your age you arent even old!!! LOL :hug:x

I remeber starting college and at the end of the first day the lecturer spoke to each of us individually and she said to me "you aren't very confident are you?" to which i burstinto tears, I was so scared (whatof I dont know cos all I was doing was shampooing) but it is scary!!!

Now people say to me how confident I am doing my work and it justtakes time, practise, but I don't think your age comes into it at all, in factit may well be seen as an asset.

Good luck and take some Kalms before you go!

Please just go for it.If you are anything like me the "what if" will always haunt you.I have my level 3 in less than 3 months and still wondering if this is for me but honestly could not see myself doing anything else. You will have good days and bad days(i cried for a whole day because i could not do a curly blowdry which my bf loves to remind me of lol)and GREAT days do not stress just keep going.

Go for the interview.

A few girls started the same time as me and i really felt like they just knew how to do hair and i was omg i will never be able to do this.

My manager picked up on this and moved me to the front of the salon so i could not see what the other girls were doing-smart women.

If this is something that you want to do go for it!!!

BEST OF LUCK X X X

Remember everyone has to learn....

Thank you for all your responses. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who doubted themselves in the beginning. I think the main problem is that I'm so excited about learning to become a hairdresser that I'm so worried that I won't get on the course. I'm not sure what I will do if I'm not accepted. Fingers crossed though and thanks again.

I remember threatening to quit college because I was struggling to do a french pleat for assessment! I'm so glad my tutor told me to stop being so silly and get on with it, because I did! It's always scary starting anything new but just go for it, it's better than wondering what if!

Well put, thank you x

I have got my interview on Wednesday for Level 2 NVQ hairdressing. I am now doubting whether or not I'm cut out for it or got what it takes. I'm 36 years old and concerned I don't have enough time to master hairdressing, I feel as though its something that should have been done from leaving school. I also feel as though my interview is so late in the academic year that my application wasn't as interesting a read as others. I was told that it is first come first served and it is a very popular course. No confidence what so ever. Advice Please. very worried and nervous. :cry:
hi just letting u know that u will b ok as long as u feel u r a good hairdresser if it comes naturally i am a salon owner and to me it does not matter what level u r at it can be trained into everything u need to know but u need to confident in ur own abilitys that way it will come across to ur possible employer

Im not a hair professional, but am studying beauty atm. I just want to say to GO FOR IT!! Your never too old and you will never know if something is completely for you. You have losses of confidence nown and then and good and bad days but you have to stick with it because its all experience and will make you excellent at what you do! Determination is the key! Good luck xx

well i would say GO FOR IT ive been doing hairdressing 19 years this year and i can remember doing my training and thinking i will never be able to do this it took me a 4 1/2 years to finish my training and thought many of times of giving up im so glad now i never and i cant imagine doing anything else good luck and keep us all posted on how u get on x:hug:

Ive just remembered what happened the first practicle lesson in college. You know you get thoses like strips of scalp hair to pin to a bald block, well I cant remember how I did it but I managed to tangle all the hair up on it and the tutor used it as an example for not what to do I want bright red!! I also managed to cut my finger realy badly when learning cutting and the blood trailed across the floor my tutor was nearly passing out and a first aider in my group had to tape it up for me!! So dont worry we all get a bit nervouse and do silly things becuse if it!! I could list all the other funny stuff that happend in college but it would take me all day!!! I think what Im trying to say it that we were all in the same boat, dont worry about making mistakes and that in college the tutors have seen it all before. You will be fine, I loved college hope you do too!xxxx

I melted my friends hair. Lucky only a bit pulled through a cap, took the cap off and the hair came with it. Laughed so hard I couldnt breathe.

All of us learnt from the begining

I melted my friends hair. Lucky only a bit pulled through a cap, took the cap off and the hair came with it. Laughed so hard I couldnt breathe.

All of us learnt from the begining

Now that's what I call an 'off hand' manner. :green: my my!

I've never done hair, but I know I could and what's more I think I'd be really good at it. I'd love the cutting particularly. I had never done nails but I always knew I could do it from word go. Always been good with my hands and I have a 3 dimentional perspective. I think if you don't have the confidence that you can do it then I wouldn't do it. I think you just know.

its hard to start off with but you do get the rhythm of it after a while, but i do work in my college salon and a local salon, and they are sooo different, theres times when i think i cant do this but you just have to pull yourself together and get on with it, you make mistakes and you learn from them and eventually it all becomes second nature to you. its hard work but totally worth it xx

Thanks for all your support, to be honest I had completely forgotten about my interview tomorrow as I was burgled last night while we were in bed. My husband went and bought me a new lap top this afternoon bless him, as mine was one of the things the little s**ts took. :mad: Had police and soco here throughout the day. I'm devastated as my lap top has got hundreds of photos on it of the kids and holidays etc. Irreplaceable stuff. Well hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow at my interview. :cry: thanks again for all your words of support. x

Hello, firstly I'm so sorry to hear about your break in. Secondly I'm 38 now and I started level 2 last year, when I was 37. I was so full of nerves, but such a great lack of confidence in my own ability... I've cut my fingers too, gone through so many head blocks. Yes there was the young ones who flyed through the course and this really knocked my confidence, but eventually I gained in confidence and just worked at my own pace. At my college we only do the level 2 course for one year and I'm going on to level 3 in September. I can't wait because being back at home all day Is driving me crazy!!! I was so scared in meeting new people, but that eventually that passed and a class was quite friendly and supportive. It was a mixture of ages and I wasn't the only mature student, just try and get a salon placement as soon as you can.
I even joined this forum, just to read other peoples stories and to know that you are not alone in starting late. By reading other peoples questions and their answers you gain so much knowledge. Anyway good luck for your interview :D Let us know how it went.

Had ny interview today, it wasnt quite as i expected. we just sat in a room and were told about the course and the college. Then we did a literacy test, then had to do a blow dry and put some rollers in on a block head. Then we were told we could go. They said thats enough for them to make a decision. I thought they would want to know why we want to do the course. We didnt have chance to show our personalities and say what we have previously done. I feel a bit done to be honest. I have this awful feeling that none of us in this group will get through as spaces are so limited. They take 120 but only 40 of those can be mature students. They have been interviewing for weeks now. One of the girls asked how many more places there was available and we were told that the computer has gone down so they couldn't check. Not totally convinced. Anyone else had the same sort of experience.:confused:

I had moments like this in the beginning. i used to worry i was too mature for this type of course even tho i was only 20!!! but i had 2 kids and felt rather mumsy surrounded by teenagers who only had boyfriends to worry about. turns out u can make friends with 15,16 and 17 year olds as easily as u can someone your own age. i helped them thru the theory side of things and they helped me feel like a person and not 'just' a mum. No body is born to do anything they learn and discover a passion for it. I hated level 1 hair but stepping into level 2 was like a miracle happened and everything clicked. Im sure you will discover a happy balance with hair. its so varied and fast moving and you meet some fabulous people. Take a deep breath and find out for yourself just how much confidence and freedom it gives you. I could have done hair at 16 but i think i appreciate it more as i was rather a rude cocky teen!! :green:

I had moments like this in the beginning. i used to worry i was too mature for this type of course even tho i was only 20!!! but i had 2 kids and felt rather mumsy surrounded by teenagers who only had boyfriends to worry about. turns out u can make friends with 15,16 and 17 year olds as easily as u can someone your own age. i helped them thru the theory side of things and they helped me feel like a person and not 'just' a mum. No body is born to do anything they learn and discover a passion for it. I hated level 1 hair but stepping into level 2 was like a miracle happened and everything clicked. Im sure you will discover a happy balance with hair. its so varied and fast moving and you meet some fabulous people. Take a deep breath and find out for yourself just how much confidence and freedom it gives you. I could have done hair at 16 but i think i appreciate it more as i was rather a rude cocky teen!! :green:
Just heard from college today, I have been accepted onto their NVQ 2 hairdressing course. I am sooooo excited. I can't believe it. Also really nervous now, not really sure what to expect. Can anyone tell me what their first day was like and what to expect. I'm guessing there wont be much hairdressing of any discription, will it be mainly filling in forms and paper work? Anyone got any info I would really appreciate it. Many thanks in advance. EJ

Latest posts

Back