Did my first set of nails last night!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaX

Reaction score
Did my first set of nails last night on a paying customer (my ads ust have worked) anyway when i got there they were very bitten (what a challange) i did the best i could but the white bits were quite a way down the nail - as she had short nail beds too.

does any one have any tips for tipping bitten nails?? should i have brought the white further up the nail plate and used a flawless pink in zones 2 and 3 to hide the tip?? would this work. cos they just looked quite 'chunky' after.

she insisted on having then really short as well so there wasn't a lot of length on when id finished.

any help would be greatly appreciated!! xx

Read the tutorial by Nailsinlondon1 about tipping a bitten nail, this is really good and i used it on a client only the other day. It works wonders and prevents the edges of the nail digging into the skin, alos will help prevent the tips ski jusmping, and comming off.

As for lengthening the nail bed try using the flawless, you need to be consistent with you ratio or it can look a little marbled. If this colour isn't for you try a blend of 2 parts Intense to 1 part Flawless. Have you tried other shades of white these may not be as noticeable if they are wanting them longer.

great!! ill have a look at that - thanks for your help!! xx

no i haven't tried other shades of white. cos theres a soft white isn't there? would that be better?? i'm using perfect colour white at the moment. x

if you feel that the white is too overwhelming especially if there is more white than pink, then try using a softer white or a combination of soft white and natural for zone 1. But i would try and lengthen the nail in zone 2 which would make for a more balanced and natural looking nail. Can't really remember but is it 2/3 pink and 1/3 white for a balanced nail?

pinkchicnails said:
no i haven't tried other shades of white. cos theres a soft white isn't there? would that be better?? i'm using perfect colour white at the moment. x

brilliant thanks soooooo much for your help! i really appreciate it.

some nails did look better then others cos they weren't as badly bitten, but it was just her thumbs and middle fingers that were the worst, she had bitten right down the side of her nails too.

i just read the tutorial aswell so thats helped loads.

I'm still learning too...suppose it never ends really..lol.

I nearlly died when i saw my clients nails they where right down tho the knuckle, but i covered them with Flawless and natural inzone 1, i couldn't believe the transformation. I must admit it felt better doing a set like these than doing the ones where there are no flaws, more satisfaction.

Jsut keep practising, thats what i do, sometimes it comes together and sometimes it dosen't. You'll soon begin to find that it starts to come together more than not.

think i did my whites too far down, ill sort them out as shes booked a rebalance in 2 wks, but i told her she might need it earlier with being a nail biter.

I did see in a pro nails mag once where they used a clear tip on the nail biter just so you had a free edge to work with. So you prep as usual, apply a clear tip and cut it so the edge is flush with the end of the finger. You shouldn't really do nail biters nails long as they will be more inclined to break them as they're not used to having nails.

Blend as usual, then you can just apply your soft white to the tip and use a dence pink for zones 2 and clear or natural for zone 3. Hope this helps.

yeah i only did them very short, the ends of them were almost finished at the end of her finger there was very little free edge. xx

i think i'll have to buy some clear tips as i only have french and white

talented talons said:
I did see in a pro nails mag once where they used a clear tip on the nail biter just so you had a free edge to work with. So you prep as usual, apply a clear tip and cut it so the edge is flush with the end of the finger. You shouldn't really do nail biters nails long as they will be more inclined to break them as they're not used to having nails.

Blend as usual, then you can just apply your soft white to the tip and use a dence pink for zones 2 and clear or natural for zone 3. Hope this helps.

i must be totaly dense but i seem to be missing a point. don't understand why you are using a dense pink in zones 2 and clear in 3.. would this not look obvious?

Don't worry. I had a client with badly bitten nails and they were a shocker. They are an incredible challenge and even the re-balance is not much easier. In the end they are still ending up with betta nails than they originally had so u will find they won't me too fussed as they are they ones who are biting them.

Have had this many times. The nails look really weird! But it is because they don't have a nice long nail bed.

I am still learning, and remember they are your first set. I think you learn from each one you do!

Latest posts

Back