difference between fibre and silk?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haylznailz

uniquelicious
Reaction score
I know this sounds dizzy but please can you tell me the difference
between the fibre an silk ?

I THINK silk is finer so is less, if at all, visable on the finished nail. It may also be slightly more absorbent. Though it will be said that neither should be visible if applied correctly.

Fibreglass is a mesh that contains glass fibres.............. it a large weave so it is like mesh and very strong and still flexible when covered with resin.......it is more likely to reflect light and can be slightly visible under bright light........

Silk is just that silk , with a much finer weave and holds more resin......... silk can hold it's own weight in liquid by about 30x........... It makes an excellent base for sculpting a nail........ It is more ridgid and less flexible........can give the nail a softer appearance....

HTH

To add a little more info to Ruth's excellent answer:

Fibreglass is of course not a natural fiber and therefore is does not absorb any resin but stays in tact and sandwiched between the resin layers (just like metal mesh in concrete). It is this attribute that makes the resin flexible and keeps it flexible.

Silk is a natural fiber and as Ruth says it absorbs the resin. Less flexible but still strong and durable.

Both can appear perfectly clear in so much as you can't see the fibers, but silk has just a slightly softer look which is also very pretty and less harsh looking than the stark pink and white.

When deciding what to put on who??? Go by the look and which the client prefers. Both fabrics will wear equally well on most clients.

thanks so much for your replies

its great to get helpfull advice

i did a set of fibre glass nails on saturday an took photos
i dont do much fibre glass id like to show you all the picture
and see if you can tell me where i went wrong or if there exceptable

not sure how to add picture into this text box though? its asking for a code or sumthing ... you know me girls im so dizzy
have to have everything explained ...

Taken from the help facility:
Premium Geeks can use the attachment feature of this site, which gives you the ability to attach images to your posts. There is a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the site should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!
To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon
attach.gif
So deffo a bonus becoming a premium geek...............Me thinks.........
The other way is to upload the picture into the geek album and then, when writing a post on the right hand side of the text window click on my photos,
this then enters the picture into the post.......
HTH

thanks ruth ive just added a couple of pics to the photo album

of the fibre glass nails i did on saturday

hope ive done it right see what you think matey !

thanks again

Nice work babe............

have added my tuppence worth to it ..............look at piccie one and then piccie two............just a little tweak and your there...
If you take in the sides just a little you will make it much sleeker and very sexy lol............ Good stuff for a first babe wohoooooooooooo I feel a Fabric# Technician in the making here....
Keep it up babe xx

Attachments

• 150fibreglass_Small_.jpg
    150fibreglass_Small_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 104
  • HN Fibreglass.jpg
    HN Fibreglass.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 98
Gorgeous Nails Hayley !!

Vicky x

thanks girls

i will keep practising

watch this space ! lol

Hi Hayley

Have you used white tips if so when I use them with fabric I allways pre-tailor to get a deeper smile gives you a nice elegent look.

HTH

Take care Dawnie x

hi dawnie

yes i did use french tips........... sorry what does pre tailot mean ??? durh !

sorry i havnt heard of that before!

Hi Hayley

I allways file the smile line to make it deeper or you can use the curved sissors to do it also.

HTH

Take care Dawnie x

oh right i see

why dont they look smiley enough ?

i have never thought of that!

i have brought tips before an thought boy the smile line is rubbish on that
didnt realise you could cut them!

what if they dont all look the same cut though ?

Thats where practice comes into lol.........
When I first showed Dawnie how to pre blend the french tips, bless her she was sitting at her nail station for hours pre blending and getting them all looking the same........In her PJ's, up at first light, I have to add, how dedicated is that...........LOL happy days babe eh ??? She is a wizz at doing them now, puts me to shame !!!!
She is fab at doing them now...........Just get a box and work your way through them..... keep the good ones, you soon find that you are keeping more and chucking less............

Hi there

After doing those set of fibre glass on my client that she was well pleased with.
she has rang me today to say that shes lost 2 tips an there not looking to good.
Also my friend that i was experimenting on, at the weekend tells me she has lost one or two tips too

just as i thought fibre glass i think are lovely looking but dont have the strength like the gel and the acrylic
now this has point me off doing fibre glass when i was just on a high about them

what do you reckon ?

Hi Hayley

What system are you using I use Fabric and I have a lot of clients that will not have anything else on the nails............I wear fabric myself and I never have a problem with breakages.

Take care Dawnie xx

and I use Backscratchers Glass Glaze and NEVER have any breaks either!
;)

well.....apart from when I caught one in the car door that is!!!!
:Scared: :irked: :cry:

Latest posts

Back