Difference between OPI Axxium and Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandstring

Reaction score
Hi, I have a client booked in tomorrow, who normally goes to another salon for OPI Axxium, but has booked in with myself for Shellac, I have never come across this Axxium product before and I want to be prepared for her questions, what are the differences between the two products please?

This is like asking what is the difference between an apple and an orange LOL.

If OPI Axxium is a soak off gel then it should not be compared to Shellac as Shellac is not a soak off gel but a hybrid between gel and polish.

Think of it as a Polish plus.

There is an article which explains about why Shellac should not be being compared to soak off gels.

ETA: http://www.salongeek.com/groups/she...ication+..+posted++main+forum+today-1290.html

The only real similarity is that the final finished treatment looks a little similar in that the client ends up with a coloured finish on their nails! I used to use OPI Axxium soak off gel lacquer but find that Shellac lasts better, is a hell of a lot glossier and is also easier to apply because it is out of a bottle rather than out of a pot (ie not a gel!). The only thing I would say about the OPI gel lacquer is that there is a fantastic range of colours - this is why my clients choose it over Shellac at the moment.....

Here is one big difference
It takes only 20 mins to do a Shellac.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere on here that Shellac is not a colored gel. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Application is similar - base, 2 coats of colour, top. Cure times are different. Final look is similar - thin, glossy colour, protection for nails rather than 'strength'. Soak off times are similar. Axxium is in a pot and Shellac in a bottle.

The chemistry of the products are totally different, but the finished nails are similar. I use both, like them both a lot and see them both as a permanent polish rather than a soak off gel (which Shellac isn't anyway).

Hth's

Latest posts

Back