Different opinions Shellac topcoat over crystals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyndseyD

Reaction score
Please please can everyone give me their honest opinion.
I have read literally hundreds of threads and I still don't know what to do for the best. Some geeks state that shellac topcoat does not dull the shine of the crystals at all where as others say it dulls them significantly and use gelbond or similar and no topcoat. I want to make sure the crystals stay put for as long as possible.
So, to topcoat or to gelbond and no topcoat? I'm using genuine swarovski crystals bought from S2. Thank you xx

I know exactly what you mean - it is all very confusing and I'm in the same boat! I've read all the threads and it seems there are different ways of doing these. I've been testing them myself on my own toes and I had one big toe with shellac top coat and the other big toe without (the crystals set into a soak off gel). Top coat definitely takes some of the shine away from the crystals. I now have the crystals set into gelbond as from last night and they look as shiney as ever - I'm just going to see how they last now.

From what I can gather one way seems to be Shellac base and top coat (although I was thinking of using shellac base, silver chrome and top coat - that way if any crystals do fall out it won't notice) followed by gelbond application.

Or, set the crystals into a soak off gel and cure - on me though I did loose a few after about a week where there was no top coat. You could always offer your clients the option of a top coat.

Sorry there are no definite answers from me and I hope I haven't made matters worse for you - there just isn't one way of doing this and it's a case of what works for you in the end I think!

I know exactly what you mean - it is all very confusing and I'm in the same boat! I've read all the threads and it seems there are different ways of doing these. I've been testing them myself on my own toes and I had one big toe with shellac top coat and the other big toe without (the crystals set into a soak off gel). Top coat definitely takes some of the shine away from the crystals. I now have the crystals set into gelbond as from last night and they look as shiney as ever - I'm just going to see how they last now.

From what I can gather one way seems to be Shellac base and top coat (although I was thinking of using shellac base, silver chrome and top coat - that way if any crystals do fall out it won't notice) followed by gelbond application.

Or, set the crystals into a soak off gel and cure - on me though I did loose a few after about a week where there was no top coat. You could always offer your clients the option of a top coat.

Sorry there are no definite answers from me and I hope I haven't made matters worse for you - there just isn't one way of doing this and it's a case of what works for you in the end I think!

i agree, Topcoat does take some shine off the crystals but it does keep them securely on.
If i sit the swarovskis on top of wet topcoat then cure, I tend to use the same method as quoted above of putting a matching glitter underneath so if any stones come off it's far less noticeable.

It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid, there doesn't seem to be a right and wrong way, just different ones... x

Please please can everyone give me their honest opinion.
I have read literally hundreds of threads and I still don't know what to do for the best. Some geeks state that shellac topcoat does not dull the shine of the crystals at all where as others say it dulls them significantly and use gelbond or similar and no topcoat. I want to make sure the crystals stay put for as long as possible.
So, to topcoat or to gelbond and no topcoat? I'm using genuine swarovski crystals bought from S2. Thank you xx

Hi

I have found that a polish topcoat dulls the crystals but I use shellac over mine and they dont dull, they make them sparkle more.

I apply the topcoat and add the crystal and cure. Then another topcoat over the whole nail including the crystal and cure. no probs with the crystal dulling. If you are worried about this why dont you : apply topcoat and add crystal and cure. Then apply second topcoat but go round the crystals, you mighht need to apply the topcoat with a smaller brush to go round the crystals and cure. HTH x

Thank you!
S2 and Ellisons are out of stock in Silver Chrome! Eek! Do you think I could use actual glitter and do rockstar nails under the crystals incase any fall off? Or is this just making twice as much work for myself?! I would prefer to use a top coat to hold them on and make sure they're secure but as I am the ONLY person in my area so far to offer swarovski crystals :) I didn't want to dull the finish and risk them ending up looking like rhinestones. I've never used gelbond before and haven't a clue what to do with it!! Setting the crystals straight in shellac without a top coat doesn't seem to be an option it would seem as loads of posts saying that shellac isn't strong enough to hold them? Aaargh! It's so confusing! Any tips on using gelbond? I would really appreciate it xx

I have done the crystal pedi class with CND and we were told to put the top coat over the crystalsm working it inbetween all of them to give the strongest finish. This is after using Gelbond to secure the ones nearest the free edge. I found that the ones done on me during the class still looked very sparkly!

Is this the Shellac nail styles? As I did this yesterday and Gel bond was not mentioned.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back