Dilema, can I sack her?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I say now someone could of said before, I was gobsmacked by this and rushed down to the bottom to reply!

Firstly are u paying her?
Does she have a contract?
Are you not meant to be level 3 trained before working in a salon?

So here you go!

a) you cant afford her
b) no contract, on yer bike!!
c) She doesnt have the qualifications and seems to be more of a hazard than anything!!

Im having a bit of trouble with a trainee gona nip it on the bud today!

We dont have room for time wasters, we need to make our business not drag it down by these worthless people who dont want to be here in the first place!
End of the day that wee girl didnt have to go round interviewing for jobs, she walked out her front door and straight into her mums business!

I wouldnt be bothered with that!

Let me know about contract and so on so we can talk more about this!

I was a legal secretary before beautician so I know the drill

xxx

You don't need to be qualified to Level 3 to work in a salon, but most employers ask for it. I'd be really interested to know the outcome of this situation, did u let her go in the end?

Popart I hope you get your problem trainee sorted too :) xo

Thank you Pink Fairy! Im looking behind my shoulder as we speak hoping she doesnt see lol. What a position to be in.
Today is the day I clear my throat with her! Im going to do up an employee notebook with rules that need to be obided by and each employee will HAVE to sign at the end of their shift. Hopefully this will make the salon run more smoothly and it gives me the boss title instead of friend!

I look forward to this outcome also! In Northern Ireland it is essential that all workers have level 3 to work in a salon, but u can open your own business with a level 2!! crazzzzzy!

xxx

Its def not easy being the boss! That sounds like a good idea, lets everyone know where they stand.
Hopefully she'll pull her finger out :biggrin: xo

I would invite her mum out for a coffee and chat and i'd appeal to her that her daughter just insn't playing ball, she appears to be under the illusion that you still own the salon and is acting accordingly by swerving anything that comes her way, she clearly enjoyed the privilage of her mum owning this salon and the new owner being a close friend to her mum is a double bonus, giving her the impression she has the upperhand over everyone else in the salon, (including me sometimes ?) could you maybe find out what her thoughts are ?

Also how much did her mums help to you benefit herself ? i mean i dont know but the way you described it you in fact made everything a whole lot easier for her and less costly in the long run, so dont feel you have to jeopardise everything just to please her

I'd definately get a staff handbook organsied ASAP. Especially if you're looking at hiring someone new. Then everyone knows where they stand from day one and what tasks are expected from them.

If you do decide to keep her, then do a task list that she has to follow if she has no initiative. If she doesn't want to do an eyebrow wax than she has to be cleaning. Windows, walls, skirting boards, disinfecting everything...you don't earn money to pay her to sit on her bum.

You could hire a receptionist that way she can't shift treatments on to you. But if she is claiming not to be good at a treatment and will not complete a wax on a male client maybe let her go. You could ask her mum if she was like this when she run the salon? See what her view is. Hope all went well xx

Hi salon beauty

This girl should have received a 'written statement of particulars' within 2 months of starting paid work, whether it's in the form of a contract, letter, staff handbook etc doesn't matter.

The statement should clarify:
Hrs of work, job description, holiday entitlement, sick pay arrangements, salary and when it will be received, info about disciplinary and grievance procedures, notice periods, pension etc.

There is also something called 'terms implied by custom and practice' meaning that if this girl has been able to avoid certain tasks it could be argued that she has been excused from them.

I would recommend that you prepare a contract of employment and job description then arrange a meeting to discuss her terms and conditions and get her to sign in agreement. Together you should assess any training needs she may have to help her fulfil her job description and put training/mentoring or whatever means are suitable in place. This process should be followed by a 3 month review of her performance (keep written notes of all meetings).

Obviously there are more steps that follow according to how things progress but I imagine you have enough to deal with for now.

Good luck

Hth

Kathie x

Oh.......just realised how old this post is

Latest posts

Back