Dilema

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onimusha

Reaction score
Hi
Im after abit of advice really.
I already do a lot of wedding makeup etc also beauty treatment, but recently im losing work as clients tend to want someone who does hair & make up, thats fine I have found a course to do which does hair up,
BUT at my age (44 just):) is it too late to start into hairdressing.

I feel maybe by the time i have qualified it would be,

Please any advice would be grateful especially as you know what is involved.

Dianex

Not at all, I was on a Adult Learners course which started in 2005 when I was 27 and I thought I would be one of the older ones on the course, but infact I was one of the middle age group in the course. The oldest on my course was 2 women in their late 40's and 1 in their 50's but she only did 1 year, the other 2 finished. It is never to old to learn, you have plenty of years left before retirement. Go for it.

Hi
Im after abit of advice really.
I already do a lot of wedding makeup etc also beauty treatment, but recently im losing work as clients tend to want someone who does hair & make up, thats fine I have found a course to do which does hair up,
BUT at my age (44 just):) is it too late to start into hairdressing.

I feel maybe by the time i have qualified it would be,

Please any advice would be grateful especially as you know what is involved.

Dianex

I've recently been undertaking lots of new training and I am 45 this month. In my head though I am 29 forever:wink2:

You go girl and let us know how you get on! You can do it:hug:

:lol: know what you mean i dont feel my age, right off to look at the college courses,

Delia so did they start with the level one, shampoo ect then work there way up.

Mind you i best start at the beginning

Thank you both be in touch:)

Hi there, no I started on the NVQ 2, I think you only need to do the NVQ1 if your a school leaver with not great GCSE grades or most when I was at college were 14 and did it on a day release from school. You learn all the shampooing in NVQ2.

What do they cover in NVQ 2, please, as my daughter is a makeup artist and she has lots of enquiries for hair and makeup, too. Is the course countrywide, as she tried our local colleges and they don't do hair up? Some of the celebrity hairdressers do, though, but they are always in London - and they cost an arm and a leg. :irked: Any info would be really appreciated. You can pm me if you like.

Many thanks.

FAO Retired

In NVQ 2, cutting, Colouring, Perming, Shampooing incl scalp tonics and conditioning treatments, Blowdrying including styling with heated rollers, pin curls, straighteners, tongs, french plait, vertical roll. Reception work, health and safety and that kind of stuff. You only learn the basics, if anyone wants to do the put ups, wedding hair side of things then further training is required like 1 day courses or fast track short courses or NVQ3 to get more experience, you have to do NVQ2 first though, same as with cutting, colouring and perming, you only learn the basics and to progress to do more advanced cutting and colouring then further training is needed.

Thanks very much, Delia, I thought as much. However, the celebrity hairdressers do a course on put-up hair do's only which I suppose on a wedding, you probably don't need to know about cutting and colouring. But that's only my opinion, of course. Perhaps both courses are worth looking into? Thanks again.

You're never too late. I'm 48:cry::eek: next month and I am just half way through Level 2 beauty and loving it.:)

Thanks
Well done Urban Geek you are my inspiration.

Are you doing the course for yourself as a mobile or to work in a salon

to try something new!

Have you thought about teaming up with a mobile hair stylist ? I used to do this and we both got each other quite a lot of business and it worked well for weddings as we could get more done that if it was just one person doing hair & make up.

Yes thats not a problem it just seems they want one person doing the lot.

x

Latest posts

Back