Diluting Shellac top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanitybeauty1

Reaction score
My shellac top coat is so thick gloopy and very hard to get out of the bottle, it's not old I've had it about 3 weeks and no matter how much I shake it it just stays the same it's not nice to work with at all.

What would happen if I diluted it? I've seen a UV polish thinner in my local nail supply store and wondered if it would affect the top coat? Has anyone else done this? Or have any good tips other than shaking to thin the top coat slightly?

My shellac top coat is so thick gloopy and very hard to get out of the bottle, it's not old I've had it about 3 weeks and no matter how much I shake it it just stays the same it's not nice to work with at all.

What would happen if I diluted it? I've seen a UV polish thinner in my local nail supply store and wondered if it would affect the top coat? Has anyone else done this? Or have any good tips other than shaking to thin the top coat slightly?

I can't help you I'm afraid hun as I'm not a Shellac girl, but did you get my pm the other day ;) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really don't think you should try to dilute it!! I would think you have left the top off or left it in daylight or UV light. It does harden over time in ambient light.

I have had my top coats for weeks (as I don't use it all the time in a salon) and it's fine

I think diluting it would be a guaranteed way of getting service breakdown. Have you been storing it near something that could be making it cure in the bottle? A strong source of heat perhaps?

I was told on my training to never ever dilute it will change the balance of the ingredients which is so important to the product.

I really don't think you should try to dilute it!! I would think you have left the top off or left it in daylight or UV light. It does harden over time in ambient light.

I have had my top coats for weeks (as I don't use it all the time in a salon) and it's fine

What's the best way to store it? As well as the colours? Mine are just on the shellac wall rack

I think diluting it would be a guaranteed way of getting service breakdown. Have you been storing it near something that could be making it cure in the bottle? A strong source of heat perhaps?

No not that I can think of, it just sits on the rack and when I use it it's not left in front or very close to the lamp so I can't think how it can cure in the bottle x

If the neck of the bottle is covered in top coat that's gone hard you won't have an airtight seal in it and so it will go thick on you .

Also if you haven't shaken it the first few times you used it then it goes thick quickly too

If the neck of the bottle is covered in top coat that's gone hard you won't have an airtight seal in it and so it will go thick on you .

Also if you haven't shaken it the first few times you used it then it goes thick quickly too

Thank you, is there any way of fixing it or do you think I had better just get a new one? Such a waste :(

Get a new one.

Get a new one :)

I do keep my old topcoats and use them on myself and for the bubble effect nail art where you burnish an additive into the inhibition layer and apply dots of topcoat , cure and wipe with IPA. So maybe keep you current top coat for nail art purposes but get a new one for an easy life if nothing else ;)

Get a new one :)

I do keep my old topcoats and use them on myself and for the bubble effect nail art where you burnish an additive into the inhibition layer and apply dots of topcoat , cure and wipe with IPA. So maybe keep you current top coat for nail art purposes but get a new one for an easy life if nothing else ;)

Thank you, great tip! X

I know this sounds mad , but I sit on mine to warm it up and it is less thick !:)

I know this sounds mad , but I sit on mine to warm it up and it is less thick !:)

I am going to try this if only to see the look on my clients face!
In all seriousness though, I've experienced issues with my top coat, going thick and the brush going funny, so I have ordered a new one.
Mine is kept in my draw away from heat/light no idea what its issue is, but it doesn't like me!! My base coat brush is weird too... It's all fanned out and really hard to apply. So got a new one of them coming too!!!
Xx

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had to do this in the hospital IV room when reconstituting meds and it was so cold it wouldn't go into solution... we called it "hatching the drug" as in we sat on it like a bird sitting on her eggs.

Another vote for warming it up :) I put mine under my thigh to warm up or between my knees whilst x2 colour coat, give it a good shake & voila! My room is not really cold but it does make a difference to the consistency :)

I had an issue with mine going thick it's kept on a wall rack there's no sunlight as the blinds are constantly closed but a fellow geek friend of mine advised to place between thighs to warm it up. Tried if tonight an it works fabulous. Even if my ladies did look worried lol x

I wouldn't dilute it, it would surely loose its shine and that high gloss its so famous for, not to mention its staying power
I would go with keeping it warm :hug:

I think it is worth trying one of the new gel thinner products (but not on your clients). If everything else doesn't work, try it. You'll only be out the cost of the thinner and if it does work, great!

Mines gone the same but I put mine on the radiator before my client come, it's perfect again x

Latest posts

Back