Discount for friends/family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ps I will quite happily cancel an appointment of a family member if a paying client wants an appointment. I just send them a text, they never mind, they want my business to do well, and for me to succeed, so give me money. I even pay for my own dermabrasion! (I have the skinbase PAYG system so my business gets charged every time I use it)

Salon27 this is my exact problem :-(

But where does it stop when it comes to friends? Just close friends? I consider a lot of my friends too be close, so I feel guilty charging when we have such a good catch up when they come over! So I always end up discounting alot! Making pence out of quite a few people who are friends! It's so difficult where to draw the line...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Hi

Its sooo difficult when it comes to friends or even people who know me seem to think they can have a free tan (wt*??!!) lol

I have one best bud who I would honestly do anything for and I know she would do the same for me - she always pays me though altho I would never ask shes more like a sister than my friend

Everyone else - pays LOL

Jemima26 Im considering adding skin base to my treatment list how have you found it? X

Sorry I should have said my issue is not really how much she gives me it's more the about the number of treatments I do and she doesnt look after them ;-(

I find the more you give people the more take, she is very demanding please don't think I'm being tight I have to figure out where to draw the line somewhere

How do you all handle family booking in appointments? Do u have a set day(s) or times they can come or just book then in whenever?

I don't think you're being tight.

I think its a different line for a different person and it depends soley on your personal circumstances.

I have just set up my own business and a bunch of my friends and family have been fantastic BUT at he minute I cannot afford to give discounts. Its a new business and its doing well, when it gets to a stage where I can afford to pay myself a wage then I will think about discounting and only then. I cant afford to be giving the time away more than the products at the minute.

I have done many many treatments on friends for free rather than discounted when I was practising but lets not forget although they are letting us practice it is also nice for them too.

I do swaps with people, trade offs and the such and as much as I dont want to charge my mother she still insists, I have to come up with excuses such as "Oooh I need to try a new colour out on you...."

My gran has been in once with vouchers bought for her by an aunt and I upgraded her treatment, she insisted on paying me, I refused.

I always eat in my Mother in laws pub and I always pay. She has treatments and she pays.

I think its hard but I am very choosey with who I offer discount to and at the minute I cant pay myself therefore I cant afford discount. Not yet anyway.

Sorry if this makes me sound tight!

Also I had prepared myself by researching on here and started as I mean to go on BUT contradicting myself slightly my family and closest friends will get the benefit when I am doing well enough.

Zoerose that is exactly how I feel but I've started off the wrong way :-( x

Zoerose that is exactly how I feel but I've started off the wrong way :-( x

Make sure you draw the line at who you are discounting for and perhaps speak to those you discount for? Or if its too difficult to do it directly casually drop into conversation its hard t discount people at the moment although they might ignore, it depends who you are discounting for and how much. Maybe say youre thinking of increasing your prices!?

Se what they come back with! How many people do you generally discount for?

:)
xxx

My mums nails I do for free every 2 weeks, because well she's my mum lol and she paid for my course and helps with the kids loads, its the very least I could do. My mother in law I do for free as well although she only gets them done once in a while, and again she helps so much with the kids.
There's a girl near me that offers tanning so we swap nails for tan and advertise each other.
Everyone else gets charged full price, no 'mates rates' and all my friends and family seem happy to pay.... They come back every 2-3 weeks anyway. I just decided not to start and then i won't have the problem with where to stop. xxx

I don't think you're being tight.

I think its a different line for a different person and it depends soley on your personal circumstances.

I have just set up my own business and a bunch of my friends and family have been fantastic BUT at he minute I cannot afford to give discounts. Its a new business and its doing well, when it gets to a stage where I can afford to pay myself a wage then I will think about discounting and only then. I cant afford to be giving the time away more than the products at the minute.

I have done many many treatments on friends for free rather than discounted when I was practising but lets not forget although they are letting us practice it is also nice for them too.

I do swaps with people, trade offs and the such and as much as I dont want to charge my mother she still insists, I have to come up with excuses such as "Oooh I need to try a new colour out on you...."

My gran has been in once with vouchers bought for her by an aunt and I upgraded her treatment, she insisted on paying me, I refused.

I always eat in my Mother in laws pub and I always pay. She has treatments and she pays.

I think its hard but I am very choosey with who I offer discount to and at the minute I cant pay myself therefore I cant afford discount. Not yet anyway.

Sorry if this makes me sound tight!

Also I had prepared myself by researching on here and started as I mean to go on BUT contradicting myself slightly my family and closest friends will get the benefit when I am doing well enough.

you are definitley going in the right direction by starting as you mean to go on!! im kind of the same in that i can just about afford the products at the moment so every bit helps, i do my mum for free as she pays for alot of the products!! and as you when i am doing well i will re pay those that helped me along the way xx

you are definitley going in the right direction by starting as you mean to go on!! im kind of the same in that i can just about afford the products at the moment so every bit helps, i do my mum for free as she pays for alot of the products!! and as you when i am doing well i will re pay those that helped me along the way xx

I worked my absolute arse off to retrain myself and I had lots of support (not financial )from friends and of course family. I value this greatly and I would hope in future I would be able to treat those I feel helped me the most but right now time and products are too crucial, only by setting this in stone now will I have the luxury of being able to treat those people.
It's incredibly tough but I find it easier when the same rules apply to everyone :)

about 8 years ago when i started doing spray tanning (with an airgun! yes it did take half an hour to do a tan) I decided that i would give my best friend a discount and used to charge her £3 for a tan. yeah i know, i dunno what i was thinking! anyway the final straw for me was when she came up to mine for her tan and handed me a load of 20p and 10ps and said, I didnt have any change so I had to raid the kids money box. my husband was livid! he was like "would it have killed her to give you a fiver!!" i stopped doing it for a few years till i retrained and got my hvlp machine. I said at that point that all family and my 2 close friends were £10 (normal price was £15). Ive also just started doing acrylic nails and about to addd gel polish to the list. at the minute I have been doingfree acrylic nails as I am practicing and I need to practice with the gel polishes too. i think instead of offering them for free to practice i am goin to offer them at half price for the first set as an introductory offer and after that for friends i am not offering any discounts, but wil still discount my family.

Hmmm this is always a difficult one i guess.. My mum dusnt pay as shes helped me out so so much.. My nan would also be free however she insists on giving me £25 every 2-3 weeks but i do whatever treatments she wants and she does also have a proper appointment on my busy days.. My two closest friends pay for the product or if im borrowing them to try something out then nothing.. And they all get products at trade!! I sometimes give small discounts to my friends sister or family but they dont have a regular slot every couple of weeks its just every few months and they do all reccomend me :)

Its tricky isnt it. My mum has had numerous free treatments over the years and also free products! Ive just retrained in acrylics so i did my first few sets free but now shes paying me again. It expensive to train and for all my products and she understands. I normally do her a deal though or free repairs or art :) my sister in law has her nails done too but i take a small amount off as her and my other half's brother look after my little one occasionally.

I would never dreeeeeeam of charging my mum. After all she does for me and not to mention raising me lol. She always says she will give me money for the products (as I refuse to take anything) but I still refuse this.... She's my mum! She didn't charge me to bring me up.. And think how much that will have cost compared to the cost of products... Even if she has treatments for the rest if her life, still won't add up to what she spent raising me as a child!!! :)

I have a theory that people don't appreciate or respect the treatments if you do them for free or discount them. When I was training I charged friends etc just a bit of money to cover materials - and as a previous poster said I also a few times got paid in change, got asked if they could have treatment and give me money when they got paid, and once even a post-dated cheque for £5! It didn't seem to happen so often once I qualified and my prices went up.
:)

My mum just pays for the colour because she insists! I do mother in law half price and won't do a Saturday n she knows this but always trys to get one of the girls to book her in on a sat she would take the mick if I let her which is why I charge. My gran well she comes in 1 some times twice a week often late n moans when I ask her to just cover the cost of her colour or perm when she has them - sometimes wish I charged her full wack! She might not come so often!!!

This is a really tricky one, I charge all family members for hair colouring to cover the cost of what I buy (and maybe a bit more if its the mother in law as otherwise she would def take the piss!!!) and do haircuts for free, friends I give them £10 off colour but nothing off haircuts everyone seems quite happy and this works for me, at the end of the day we are all just trying to make a living and people should respect that Xxx

Sorry I should have said my issue is not really how much she gives me it's more the about the number of treatments I do and she doesnt look after them ;-(

I find the more you give people the more take, she is very demanding please don't think I'm being tight I have to figure out where to draw the line somewhere

How do you all handle family booking in appointments? Do u have a set day(s) or times they can come or just book then in whenever?

I don't think you're tight hun. I won't be doing anyone for free as the products cost money! I can't afford to be out of pocket?!!

The only person I do for free is my mum xxx

Latest posts

Back