Distinguishing bt qual's ..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockateer

Reaction score
HI all!
So I am wondering if somebody can explain what the levels of beauty therpay is in all of the
UK,
USA
OZ
MAINLAND EUROPE etc
what the different name of the qualification's are etc,
In the UK, I hear of level 3 being harder etc what does that entail? Differences etc?
I find it interesting !!!!

In Ireland we manily offer ITEC CIBTAC and CIDESCO-in beauty, holistic, spa studies etc
In Laser etc we offer Core of Knowledge and btec...
CIDESCO is the highest qual as far as I am aware for beauty, correct me if I am wrong!
I am intrigued, think its fascinating to learn of all the different standards etc

HI all!
So I am wondering if somebody can explain what the levels of beauty therpay is in all of the
UK,
USA
OZ
MAINLAND EUROPE etc
what the different name of the qualification's are etc,
In the UK, I hear of level 3 being harder etc what does that entail? Differences etc?
I find it interesting !!!!

In Ireland we manily offer ITEC CIBTAC and CIDESCO-in beauty, holistic, spa studies etc
In Laser etc we offer Core of Knowledge and btec...
CIDESCO is the highest qual as far as I am aware for beauty, correct me if I am wrong!
I am intrigued, think its fascinating to learn of all the different standards etc

Hiya,
you generally have 3 levels of beauty therapy(there are 2 more but these are more your management and are done in uni)
NVQ level 1 tends to be for people who didn't get very good grades at school.There are less practical units thus giving the student more time to focus on core skills and I think they do maths and English as well.

Then you have your level 2,which focuses on the basic treatments offered in a salon,ie mani,pedi,facials,eyelash/eyebrow tint,waxing etc.Some salons will accept a therapist with only a level 2 but a lot wont,especially if they offer non surgical facials,wraps,electrolysis etc

Then you have your level 3 which is much harder and involves your electrical treatments,spa treatments,nutrition and exercise,management, etc.Lots more A&P as well.

Hope that helps your understanding a little better in the NVQ systen anyway.

In the US (well, Michigan to be more specific...each state has different regulations) you can have a manicure license, 400 hours, an esthetician's license, 600 hours or a cosmetology license, 1500 hours.

For manicure/esthetician, you can only do nails/skin and make-up, respectively. Now, if you get a cosmetology license, it encompasses all: hair, nails and skin.

After the courses are completed, you take a state board exam and upon SUCCESSFUL completion of the exam, you become licensed in your field.

HTH! :)

wow ok, so the level 1, that includes maths and english etc, it is just beauty course then so is it?

States, so every state has separate regulations wow, so if you trained in say NY would it be hard to get work elsewhere or are they all equally recognised?

wow ok, so the level 1, that includes maths and english etc, it is just beauty course then so is it?

States, so every state has separate regulations wow, so if you trained in say NY would it be hard to get work elsewhere or are they all equally recognised?

yes I think they do manicure and another unit plus maths and English,also some chore subjects.I guess different colleges will have different units,but it will still be considerably less than level 2.HTH

thanks babsann
xx

They have a thing called reciprocity. For example, let's say I have to have 400 hours in Michigan to be licensed but only 100 in another state. I would be able to work in another state. I'm not sure tho, if I'd have to take their state board exam. My guess is I would.

Now, let's say I want to work in a state that requires 600 hours. I would be able to work in another state if I can prove I have worked another 200 hours in a salon. So, I would have 400 school hours and 200 salon hours. Again, I believe I would have to pass their state board exam.

Hope this makes sense. :)

It makes perfect sense thanks a million missus, realy appreciate that !
interesting !!!!
So how are we meant to know who is more qualified etc??

The reason I am asking this now is because I am interested in doing teacher training course in the fututre and It has been drawn to my attention that there are obviously different levels of quals inbeauty and also then in teaching
The qual i have dictates what i can teach, and similarly the qual i would receive from a teacher training would dictate what i could go on to teach afterwards, hope this is maing sense just very confusing from a prospective student/want to be teachers point of view.....

There is noone to guide you and say _ this sis the highest and THEbest if you want to teach at "x" and "Y" level
All independent companya are obvioulsy trying to sell me their teaching course so it is all very misleading.....

I would get some advice on teaching quals from ur local college. I think the best option is the certificate in education. With this qual you will be able to teach up to the level of beauty you are qualified in however L3 beauty is minimum entry onto the course. It takes 2 years part time and you have 2 organise 70hrs of teaching per year (usually voluntary at ur local college)

HTH
Jen

Last edited:
Thaks jenn see we do not have the levels that yu speak of and im findong that all the locl colleges want me to pay for their course obvioulsy so will sell me their speil, if you understand me, i want to be able to teach outside of ireland thus attempting to figure out the differences in uk etc
Do youguys have cidesco or is that below / en par with any o the levels???

Latest posts

Back