diverticular disease

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancslass

Reaction score
hi all,

I was just sat here and wondered if any other geeks suffered or have diverticular disease.

i was told i had this in hospital last year after my first attack and have suffered ever since

wondered if any one else had it so we could help one another out

love Lisa xx

Someone very close to me has this. It is manageable but you need to watch what you eat. You should avoid any type of seeds (even sees in tomatoes) and be sure to keep everything moving through your intestines.A daily glass of Metamucil is helpful. I know it can be a rather painful condition that can flare up and cause alot of discomfort.

HTH

Hi Lanclass
My friend has diverticular disease, it's a condition affecting the large bowel or colon, and believed to be the result of too little fibre in the diet.

Eating a diet very low in fibre creates the ideal conditions for constipation to develop. Now i can tell you that when this happens, the pressure in the large part of the gut increases, which forces small parts of the gut lining outwards through the muscles surrounding the gut. This causes the lining to form small balloon like pouches or sacs ,hence the named diverticula.

When diverticula is not inflamed, symptoms tend to come and go. spasmodic cramping, abdominal pain, bloating and excessive wind are common. It is better to increase the amount of fibre in your diet and avoid anything that has seeds in it as these can't digest very well and tend to cause blockages ,also spicy foods like curries are a bit too much for the bowel lining. Increasing your fluids such as water and diluted drinks rather than fizzy drinks and avoid too much coffee and tea.Herbal teas such as peppermint tea is a recommended alternative usually you are prescribed antispasmodic medication ,antibiotics or laxatives and much needed dietary advice. Diverticulitis is often severe,treatment with antibiotics and fluids given through a drip is usually the procedure if it becomes unbearable and after you have followed all advice.I

My mate unfortunately had to be admitted to hospital in the end as her bowel was a bit perforated, it was obstructed and bleed heavily and an operation was needed to remove the obstruction.....HTH

Latest posts

Back