Do cheaper lamps work with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Sparkletreats, the CND lamps is (as we are told) the only one that cures Shellac power polish but will cure all other gels!
(Which again is another point I don't understand) because in that case any uv lamp would have to cure Shellac also surely? Omg! It's all very clever marketing...x

Yes, i had heard the same. I probably wouldn't invest in a LED lamp then if it doesn't cure all shellac/gel polishes.
I'm so tight for space in my little room, i don't have the luxury of 2 lamps.
So will stick to the UV lamp i have whilst saving for the CND one.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

Nancysyd, great information thank you very much, I will not be buying a cheaper lamp after reading the article. I would have hearted your response but have no idea how to do that! 😥 so thank you instead!

I'm still shocked that people are still arguing over saving a few quid on the lamp they use. You can't call your service CND Shellac if you don't use the CND lamp. It's quite simple really ... you are breaking trading standards by misselling your service.

And again, the lamps are hardly expensive! They are the cost of a couple of Shellac treatments.

I am not getting involved into the debate about only the CND lamp curing Shellac BUT I have to says what REALLY ticks me off is that they say their lamp will cure all other gels !!!

How the hell can they make that statement ? They do not know the chemical compositions of every gel brand on the market nor can they have tested their lamp with every gel brand and in my opinion it is a very , very irresponsible statement to make

I am not getting involved into the debate about only the CND lamp curing Shellac BUT I have to says what REALLY ticks me off is that they say their lamp will cure all other gels !!!

How the hell can they make that statement ? They do not know the chemical compositions of every gel brand on the market nor can they have tested their lamp with every gel brand and in my opinion it is a very , very irresponsible statement to make

There's a lot of companies that say their lamp will "cure any" gel - but your right how can they know this as it goes against what they educate us about! It just tell us to research the product & companies ourselves more than relying on what we nail techs are told by the marketing departments of certain companies - I will listen to Doug Schoon who tests and retests equipment/ products first over a nail company that wants to sell their products - and Doug has said to use the lamp Made to go with the system for many reasons hence why I have five different brands of lamps!

CND have never made this statement, it was just said on here by a user. They only say their lamp will cure their product ie: Shellac, Brisa etc

CND does not say that their lamp will cure all other gels. That's a statement you will hear from techs (and possibly from some CND educators/ambassadors), but CND does not make that statement. However, each gel manufacturer states what lamps will cure their gel polish and almost to a person, the requirement is for a 36 watt UV lamp and that's what the CND Shellac lamp is. Also, because CND Shellac uses fewer and different photo initiators, it tends to be a bit tougher to cure - the CND Shellac lamp is designed to compensate for that. So if a 36 watt lamp is all that is required, the CND Shellac lamp is more than up to the job. Of course, no lamp that isn't properly maintained will work on anything!

Speaking a bit more scientifically, UV lamps tend to be more forgiving because they emit a very broad range of UV light (300-400nm) for a long period (2 minutes usually). That is very likely to cure a broad range of gels and gel polishes. LED lamps tend to emit a much narrower frequency of light (380-400) for a much shorter period, so the gel needs to match that frequency exactly.
Here's a good, short article on the topic - The Difference Between LED and UV Lamps - Technique - NAILS Magazine

CND does not say that their lamp will cure all other gels. That's a statement you will hear from techs (and possibly from some CND educators/ambassadors), but CND does not make that statement. However, each gel manufacturer states what lamps will cure their gel polish and almost to a person, the requirement is for a 36 watt UV lamp and that's what the CND Shellac lamp is. Also, because CND Shellac uses fewer and different photo initiators, it tends to be a bit tougher to cure - the CND Shellac lamp is designed to compensate for that. So if a 36 watt lamp is all that is required, the CND Shellac lamp is more than up to the job. Of course, no lamp that isn't properly maintained will work on anything!

Speaking a bit more scientifically, UV lamps tend to be more forgiving because they emit a very broad range of UV light (300-400nm) for a long period (2 minutes usually). That is very likely to cure a broad range of gels and gel polishes. LED lamps tend to emit a much narrower frequency of light (380-400) for a much shorter period, so the gel needs to match that frequency exactly.

Here's a good, short article on the topic - The Difference Between LED and UV Lamps - Technique - NAILS Magazine

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. 😃

Thank you Nancy . Good Article Yes I know the difference ect between the lamps as I have been distributing gels for the last 15 or so years which is why , as a company we would never make a statement like that . I am glad that it is not CND who are saying their lamp cures all gels . But I have read more than once on this forum about people saying that is what they have been told !

That will teach me to believe what I read ;-)

Last edited:
I'm still shocked that people are still arguing over saving a few quid on the lamp they use. You can't call your service CND Shellac if you don't use the CND lamp. It's quite simple really ... you are breaking trading standards by misselling your service.

And again, the lamps are hardly expensive! They are the cost of a couple of Shellac treatments.

Crikey!!
How much do you charge per treatment?
To buy a brand new CND lamp here in Aus, it's around $450.
Per treatment I charge $30-$40. And that's an average cost, not too cheap or too expensive.

Crikey!!
How much do you charge per treatment?
To buy a brand new CND lamp here in Aus, it's around $450.
Per treatment I charge $30-$40. And that's an average cost, not too cheap or too expensive.

Wowzers you are charged ALOT for a Cnd lamp! Is that from the Cnd distributors in Aus? I do know my cousin who is from Aus said everything is more expensive so I'm assuming import costs are passed onto guys? X

I always read with interest comments about insurance companies.... In nearly 20 years numerous insurers have never asked me what I use. They ask to see certificates (of which I have many) I've been trained in 4 different gel polishes and shellac, I've never been asked do I use each brands lamp specifically for that gel... CND I think are the only ones I've trained with that specifically say only use our lamp.

I always read with interest comments about insurance companies.... In nearly 20 years numerous insurers have never asked me what I use. They ask to see certificates (of which I have many) I've been trained in 4 different gel polishes and shellac, I've never been asked do I use each brands lamp specifically for that gel... CND I think are the only ones I've trained with that specifically say only use our lamp.

I think what you'll find with the insurance companies is that they state in the small print that you must follow manufacturers directions. In the case of CND Shellac that means using the CND lamp. They may not ask to check when you pay your premium but I'd bet a small fortune when it came to making a claim, then they would definitely check, and as with all insurance companies they would refer you to their small print and use any excuse to not pay out!

Yes they probably do work. However, every different gel polish has different ingredients and the photo synthesis is different for each one. The wavelengths from each lamp is different, irrespective of wattage - so theres always a chance that under or over-curing can occur if there's a mismatch of lamp and gel, in the worst case scenario an allergic reaction from partially cured gel. An allergy can be a lifetime problem like contact dermatitis and has the potential to end a therapists career as they cannot use the product without a reaction!!

If you are going to take risks its one thing to experiment on yourself at home, but if you're applying on paying members of the public its not a good idea.

Buying a trusty lamp that you can rely on is important, the last thing you want is to be doing a service and it doesn't do the job and lets you down.

Public liability insurance claims can pop up years later and we are required to keep client records for this reason, so having the correct lamp and receipts of where it was bought, MDS sheets for products, and the PAT testing records will be necessary documentation you may have to supply, if (hopefully not) in the event of a potential claim

There are other ways to save money, but having safe equipment is paramount :)

Also bear in mind the gel polish and uv lamps are quite a relatively new treatment. Who knows in the future what health claims could come out? Best to cover yourself and business and use safe products and equipment.

There are def some cheap gel polish companies out there who are not transparent with their MDS ingredients, and are short term companies set up to sell lots of stock cheap, and who knows whats in these products?

With so many 'no win no fee' solicitors out there encouraging claims, its better to research the manufacturers advice for your business' longevity :)

Wowzers you are charged ALOT for a Cnd lamp! Is that from the Cnd distributors in Aus? I do know my cousin who is from Aus said everything is more expensive so I'm assuming import costs are passed onto guys? X

Yes it is!
After reading this tho, I'm tempted to dump CND Shellac and just concentrate on IBD and Gelish.
Every time i come close to have enough to spend on a CND lamp, i either have a huge bill to pay, or end up buying more stock.
I've had no problems that I'm aware of using CND shellac with a generic lamp, and have had some of my clients for 5 years.
I think the guilt of not using a CND lamp is getting to me, but i just can't spend nearly $500 on one. Not when i have clients more than happy with IBD.

I have a spare cheap one in case mine broke. I use it to do colour pops etc save wasting bulbs on the cnd one I don't think it does cure as well as the cnd one but its fine for my colour pops x

Yes it is!
After reading this tho, I'm tempted to dump CND Shellac and just concentrate on IBD and Gelish.
Every time i come close to have enough to spend on a CND lamp, i either have a huge bill to pay, or end up buying more stock.
I've had no problems that I'm aware of using CND shellac with a generic lamp, and have had some of my clients for 5 years.
I think the guilt of not using a CND lamp is getting to me, but i just can't spend nearly $500 on one. Not when i have clients more than happy with IBD.

Wow! How much is an LED lamp then?

I started with Shellac with the CND Shellac lamp, but soon moved into other brands - Gelish, ACG, IBD, LeChat (love LeChat!). Then the issue became getting an LED lamp since all of those brands could use one. Eventually, I dropped Shellac because the LED was so much better.

Wow! How much is an LED lamp then?

I started with Shellac with the CND Shellac lamp, but soon moved into other brands - Gelish, ACG, IBD, LeChat (love LeChat!). Then the issue became getting an LED lamp since all of those brands could use one. Eventually, I dropped Shellac because the LED was so much better.

I'm a bit scared to ask!
Never heard of LeChat...
My supplier that doesn't sell to the public stocks CND IBD and Gelique. The local 'price attack' stocks Gelish, but sells to the public. So the mini bottles that they sell there, would be the same price as the large bottles online. They sell the LED lamps for Gelish, but the mini ones so you have to cure the thumbs separately. I've never asked the cost, but might ring them today.
I'm definitely going to phase out Shellac, can't see the value in spending that much in a lamp, when my generic one cures IBD perfectly. Even tho I've never had a problem with a generic lamp curing CND shellac in 5 years, everyone on here has made me paranoid, so I'd rather do without it, and just concentrate on IBD and Gelish.

Yes it is!

What, are you serious?! $500 for a lamp?! I paid something like $180 for mine 2 years ago!

Latest posts

Back