Do clients still want basic mani's & pedi's these days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes to both, surprisingly so. I thought I would never have to do them but the last few weeks have been all about, manis, pedis and nail varnish colors. :-( Was hoping to do more Minx and gels but it is my first year and I do love natural nails

Yes to both, surprisingly so. I thought I would never have to do them but the last few weeks have been all about, manis, pedis and nail varnish colors. :-( Was hoping to do more Minx and gels but it is my first year and I do love natural nails

I'm hoping to do basic manis and pedis while I'm still collecting my kit - slowly! X

I only do gelish and after telling clients how long it lasts and that's it's instantly dry they wouldn't want normal polish. When I do gelish on toes I remove rough skin and massage with cream after finishing the gelish so they still feel like they've had a pedi, just no soak. I always spray feet first with cleansing spray and after with refreshing spray.

Pedicures ABSOLUTELY. Manicures, not so much. I only have 2 clients that get l&p. Otherwise everyone is a Shellac Mani with just polish, not the whole scrub and massage, or a pedicure with normal polish.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

I offer both, get mainly polish pedis requested. As mizzy said in this thread, or another, i use my mani and pedi requests to upsell shellac.

You will also get those that want a polish who cant wear anything more permanent.

Sometimes it also depends on your client base. I tend to service the 30+ bracket and find they like their polish.

No harm in offering hun especially as you can upsell/upgrade to a shellac.

X x x

We're a natural nail salon now since in 6 months, our only remaining enhancement tech hasn't had one single client. We're taking it off our menu of services. We'll continue to offer the occasional acrylic big toenail etc. That's about it.

We do a lot of Shellac/OPI Gelcolor manicures. We also do our fair share of traditional polish manicures. With a traditional polish manicure, we always try to upsell to a non-traditional polish.

As far as pedicures, Shellac/OPI Gelcolor pedicures aren't popular for us. As far as pedis, traditional polish still reigns supreme at our nail spa. The only time we see a slight increase in non-traditional polish pedi sales is winter. But not much since it's still warm in the winter here in Florida.

what about being instantly dry?

That's a massive advantage. I do lots of Pedi's and I can't remember the last "normal" polish I used, they are all Gelish, OPI gelcolor, Shellac (least favourite by the clients) or Rockstar, same with Manicures.

That's a massive advantage. I do lots of Pedi's and I can't remember the last "normal" polish I used, they are all Gelish, OPI gelcolor, Shellac (least favourite by the clients) or Rockstar, same with Manicures.

Might be a stupid question but where do you buy your gelish from? Iv been on their website , I can see all the colours but can't find how to buy them? X

B

Might be a stupid question but where do you buy your gelish from? Iv been on their website , I can see all the colours but can't find how to buy them? X

B

I have an account with Nail Harmony (you have to send a copy of your Mani/pedi qualfication) and then you can purchase. I also get them from Sally's, but again they are only available to qualified therapists in Mani/pedicure. I have to say I buy quite a few at the shows when they are 20% off too. I will be doing that in September with the new colours.

I have just got the 12 new OPI gelcolors today from Sally's the Holland & Touring America Collections. The same process applies for them too re qualifications if you buy from Lena White or any of the authorised sellers.

Rarely there is an offer on the gelcolors but it is more like Shellac, in that you don't get 20% off at the shows or at authorised sellers. xx

Hi
I have the advantage of being a hairdressers as well and on tuesdays (our older clients day) we offer mini manicures i.e. file and shape cuticles and a hand massage it doesn't take long and many rebook to coincide with the next hair appointment.
As for the rest it,s mainly minx, and polish on toes and Geleration (jessicas gel polish) on fingers, I try and stock midi polish's to match so which ever they don't have done we have retail opportunity.

this is my first post so hope this is the sort of thing you all expect to see, hope Ive given you some ideas
x

I still do quite a few redicures but manicures not as much.
I have just started offering IBD just gel polish and have had loads of interest :)

Yeah, I still have alot of clients that want a straight forward mani and pedi with 'normal' polish...even though I also offer shellac :)

I have an account with Nail Harmony (you have to send a copy of your Mani/pedi qualfication) and then you can purchase. I also get them from Sally's, but again they are only available to qualified therapists in Mani/pedicure. I have to say I buy quite a few at the shows when they are 20% off too. I will be doing that in September with the new colours.

I have just got the 12 new OPI gelcolors today from Sally's the Holland & Touring America Collections. The same process applies for them too re qualifications if you buy from Lena White or any of the authorised sellers.

Rarely there is an offer on the gelcolors but it is more like Shellac, in that you don't get 20% off at the shows or at authorised sellers. xx

Oh Right thank you. I go into Sally's regularly so will have a look for those :) x

Hi
I have the advantage of being a hairdressers as well and on tuesdays (our older clients day) we offer mini manicures i.e. file and shape cuticles and a hand massage it doesn't take long and many rebook to coincide with the next hair appointment.
As for the rest it,s mainly minx, and polish on toes and Geleration (jessicas gel polish) on fingers, I try and stock midi polish's to match so which ever they don't have done we have retail opportunity.

this is my first post so hope this is the sort of thing you all expect to see, hope Ive given you some ideas
x

Thank you for your reply and I hope you find salon geek as useful as I do! X x

i do lots of pedicures but not manicures, and nearly all the pedicures i do gel toes xx

With your opi gel polishes can you use a normal uv lamp or does it have to be a special one and it it similar to shellac.. No chipping etc? X

As the title says, do clients still ask you for a basic manicure/pedicure - soak, file, polish etc? Minx, shellac, crystal pedis, l&p and many more are so popular now I was wondering if anyone still makes any money doing the usual manicures/pedicures? X

Yes I still get bookings for both, it amazes me as there are so many twinkly things we can do now - this small fraction of my clients are not fans of Minx or anything like glitters, bright coloured nail polish etc on nails and are die hard clear base and top coat only (If any)

Firstly...this is a great thread.
I think a lot of it depends on what area you're in....your type of clientele.

My manicure business has been pretty much non existent for years...
Until shellac arrived!!!!!!!!!

I do lots of pedicures in the summer and that is the only time i really do minx.

All my new clients are calling me requesting shellac and according to the statistics on my website that's what people are typing into search engines when they find me.

I am happy doing more shellac than anything else.Less labour intensive,only takes me half hour to do so for me there really is more profit in a day full of shellacs

I do have a steady flow of acrylic clients and still get the "odd" few new clients.
However in relation to enhancements i seem to get more requests for gel as opposed to acrylic...therefore i am booking myself on a brisa gel course in August

With your opi gel polishes can you use a normal uv lamp or does it have to be a special one and it it similar to shellac.. No chipping etc? X

Depends what you mean by "normal" UV lamp. It will cure with a Shellac lamp I believe. However I use the Gelish LED light and it works fine with the OPI Gelcolor. I will probably buy the OPI LED lamp at the show in September, purely because I would rather use the light designed for the product. This is obviously much more expensive, as I will then have the Shellac lamp, the Gelish LED lamp and the OPI LED lamp. But business is doing very well so I like to plough a good percentage back in as it allows me to have the tools and stock I want.

It is similar to Shellac and to Gelish, although Shellac is not a gel per sae, it is what they call a Power Polish. I use all 3 products. The Gelish and OPI cure faster if you have an LED lamp but you can't use LED with Shellac.

I would choose your first product carefully there are pros and cons with all the different types (not many cons) and never go down the line of buying a cheap UV lamp, you should buy the lamp that is sold by the company you go with, so if you choose Shellac get the Shellac lamp, if you choose Gelish get their LED one and so on. It may seem like a lot of money but it is without question the right thing to do and will save you grief and aggrevation as well as not actually providing the service you are advertising if you don't.

I would choose a product and then go and do their training. It isn't expensive and all 3 of the ones I have named all do excellent training.

I used to do a lot of mani/pedi but now it's all Shellac or Gelish/OPI. I think it's cause I have up sold it! On Monday I had a client who booked in for a pedi, she has the same treatment every year for her holiday! She brought her flip flops & it was pouring, hammer & tong! So I explained the virtues of Shellac, she then added that on to her pedicure ;) perfect!

Latest posts

Back