Do i have to ask for permission to have cosmetic logos on home page

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
hi there
just wondering if anyone knows where i stand re: having the logos from the various cosmetic companies i use on the bottom of my web site home page, ie. chanel, mac, bobbi brown etc
do i have to ask for their permission?
i have noticed several mua and beauticians advertise the cosmetics they in this way, but i dont want to get into any sort of trouble
any advice would be appreciated
many thanks
blush09

You need to be selling or using their products bought through a registered distributor before you can use their logos. Be very careful that you are not breaching copyright laws. :eek:

Can I ask? If I use products of theirs and I buy them from a the wholesalers, such as sallys, that sell them, is it ok to be using their logos on web pages, leaflets, as I was also concerned about that and have left them off just in case.

thanks junejuno .. will leave them off then, as only using their cosmetics and not retailing them

woops .. must be a fair few mua and web designers who are not aware of copyright laws as have seen loads of sites displaying whole collections of logos

although not as bad as the 2 mua's sites who's portfolios contain well known istock bridal photos, talk about false representation lol !!

many thanks
blush09

What about e-mailing them to ask? I am trained in CND and Calgel and both have been happy to e-mail me their logos to use on my marketing material.

If you email and ask for permission from each company whose logo you would like to use they will all say yes as it is free advertising for them hth :hug:

Hi- definitely contact them- some companies will not mind but will want you to use their most recent logo or marketing tool. Also the jpeg they send you will undoubtedly be a better quality then the one you could copy from their site so this will actually help you promote a fresh image.

thanks junejuno .. will leave them off then, as only using their cosmetics and not retailing them

woops .. must be a fair few mua and web designers who are not aware of copyright laws as have seen loads of sites displaying whole collections of logos

although not as bad as the 2 mua's sites who's portfolios contain well known istock bridal photos, talk about false representation lol !!

If you are using their products then they wont mind either it is still good advertising for them, if you are using them on a website, have a link to the products website.

I am sure every web designer is aware of copyright laws, it may help to let you know that it will cost a company approx £10k to open the court room doors for a copyright case, do you think this would be worth the companies time and valuable money especially when you are advertising their brand.

Most corporate companies would only take you to court if you alter or abuse the logos or manipulate them to look like something of your own and dont change 30% of the design to override the copyright law.

Like a couple of other people have mentioned contact the company and explain the situation.

Most companies wont mind you using their logo's as long as you are using it in an apropriate manner you really dont need to obtain aproval nessiserily....its just poilite to do so and as a safety net.

Just be sensible ....no one is going to take you to court..the worst that can happen is that you can be asked to remove the item.....were in the beauty game here....not microsoft type buisneses hey :hug:

The best and easiest way to look at it is, If you were a company with a whole range of beauty products what would you say if a related website is using your logo or advertising your business.

This is exactly how they will see it.

Have you also looked to see if the product in question offers affiliate schemes, this is where they give you a logo to place in your web pages and if anyone clicks on through to their site from yours and buys the product you earn cash from it.

Latest posts

Back