"Do it yourself nails" damage (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cro-mari

Reaction score
Here they are: http://www.salongeek.com/album.php?albumid=922

People who visit my web site can ask me things and I answer. Yesterday, a girl (who is not my client, not even from my town, so I did not see her nails in person, just pics!) sent an e -mail with pics and saying, Oh, is that a fungus, what would I do, and stuff like that. Little by little, she discovered that she did this to herself by applying those cheap drugstore nails that should last a day or two. Some time ago she went to a nail tech and then, when they grew out, she picked the nails off.

So I said: this looks like a school example of nails butchered by excessive use of low quality products (namely glue), picking and peeling the nails off, then filing and who knows what else (in not such harsh tone :)).
The green thing is - a greenie, not a fungus, but I will leave that option too because that's only a pic, and such nail condition screams - wellcome, fungus, hello infection! And I explained why greenies appear, and visiting a doctor is also a good idea.

My advice was to leave those poor nails alone, buy some Solar oil and keep them clean. Greenie will eventually grow out and some disinfectant should help. But she said, oh, I cannot (?!), I work in the bank and my nails have to be perfect. Ok, I said, if you so really have to, then find a proper nail tech and in God's name leave those "homemade nails"! But, I also said that poor nail cannot adhere to the product properly, so she wouldn't be surprised if something falls off or if a nail tech decides not to perform the service after examining it better than me.

That was all I could think of just by seeing those pics. Did I miss anything?

Thank you.

Here they are: http://www.salongeek.com/album.php?albumid=922

People who visit my web site can ask me things and I answer. Yesterday, a girl (who is not my client, not even from my town, so I did not see her nails in person, just pics!) sent an e -mail with pics and saying, Oh, is that a fungus, what would I do, and stuff like that. Little by little, she discovered that she did this to herself by applying those cheap drugstore nails that should last a day or two. Some time ago she went to a nail tech and then, when they grew out, she picked the nails off.

So I said: this looks like a school example of nails butchered by excessive use of low quality products (namely glue), picking and peeling the nails off, then filing and who knows what else (in not such harsh tone :)).
The green thing is - a greenie, not a fungus, but I will leave that option too because that's only a pic, and such nail condition screams - wellcome, fungus, hello infection! And I explained why greenies appear, and visiting a doctor is also a good idea.

My advice was to leave those poor nails alone, buy some Solar oil and keep them clean. Greenie will eventually grow out and some disinfectant should help. But she said, oh, I cannot (?!), I work in the bank and my nails have to be perfect. Ok, I said, if you so really have to, then find a proper nail tech and in God's name leave those "homemade nails"! But, I also said that poor nail cannot adhere to the product properly, so she wouldn't be surprised if something falls off or if a nail tech decides not to perform the service after examining it better than me.

That was all I could think of just by seeing those pics. Did I miss anything?

Thank you.

Think you covered all the bases! Good job.

The worst damage I have EVER seen on nails was on a client who came to me and had been 'doing he own' using stick-ons for years. They were so bad she was terrified to have them removed. Not only was there a bacterial infection, there was also a horrendous fungal infection and her nail beds were weeping and wet and gooey and the onycholysis was at 80%!

It took US 1 year of WEEKLY appointments to finally put them right.
I practically burned everything I used on her after every time she came!! :lol:

Last edited:

Those were the worst nails that I've seen in my looong one year career :green: so wanted to make sure that I advised properly.

I have a friend who's nails are exactly the same as these due to the stick on's :rolleyes: she just won't listen :rolleyes:

I had a client with badly damaged nails like this. She had worn these stick on nails for years and as soon as one got pulled off or fell off she just stuck another one over the top :eek: Her sister (who is one of my regular clients) persuaded her to come to me and I gave her a beautiful set of sculpted pink & whites and I was really pleased. BUT she never came back and is now back to using stick ons :irked: I finally plucked up the courage to ring her and ask if there was something she wasn't happy about and you know what? She prefers the stick ons because she can change the design every other day is she wants. "It's so easy" she said "just pull them off and stick some more on". I was simply speechless:!:

I have a picture i took about 4 weeks ago a lot worse than the one posted. This girl was in a vicious circle having to apply them to cover up the damage thay had caused. I did apply short nail extensions because i think that is the best chance her nails have of getting better, i made it clear that i wanted to keep a close eye on them and when she came for infills i was realy pleased they had grown fast the green was lighter in colour and the onycolisis was much better. Does anyone know if the nail will fully recover from the onycolisis??

Last edited:
I have a picture i took about 4 weeks ago a lot worse than the one posted. This girl was in a vicious circle having to apply them to cover up the damage thay had caused. I did apply short nail extensions because i think that is the best chance her nails have of getting better, i made it clear that i wanted to keep a close eye on them and when she came for infills i was realy pleased they had grown fast the green was lighter in colour and the onycolisis was much better. Does anyone know if the nail will fully recover from the onycolisis??

I would have done the same as you did.

Yes the nails will make a full recovery if they are nurtured, cared for and not removed for some time.

Latest posts

Back