Do nails "breathe"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcuts

Reaction score
This is coming from a hair geek. Serious question. Thanks.

I was always taught that nails are dead are therefore do not breathe, but I'm interested to see the replies on here :) x

Of course not! Do they have lungs? No!!
People should be saying "give them a rest" not "I'm letting them breathe". Haha

Is like saying you won't die your hair for 6 months even though your roots are horrendous! That doesn't need to 'breathe' either. Unless obviously a break is needed cos of condition same as nails :)

Doug schoon has done amazing info on 10 myths about nails.. Includes section about nails not breathing. It's a good read.

Yes you have mini lungs which are located underneath your nail plate which are link through your arms to your main lungs which provide suppose for the mini lungs under your nail plate! (Insert smiley banging head on brick wall)

I feel a bit daft asking this question but even though nails don't breathe, is it beneficial to be able to "let the air get to them"?

I say that based on the fact that if you have anything on your nails for a prolonged amount of time, they can become weak and a bit yellowy (even with good products and good aftercare in my experience!). So on this basis, even though to say "let them breathe" is technically incorrect, is there any validity to saying "have a period with nothing on your nails to let the air get to them."?

Edit: I'm getting all worried that someone will question my knowledge as a nail tech now eeeep! but hey, better to ask than not know lol!

There is no reason, except for medical for removing any service to "let your nails breath/rest" this is a myth

I have had enhancements on for more years than I can remember (im talking around 20 years) and in last 10 years I've only removed them for 6 operations apart from 11 days ago when I removed them and now have shellac on, my nails are good and healthy, bit soft when 1st removed but felt like this more because I'm not used to them and from removal, after few hours they got stronger and I shellac'd them and re did them today for a colour change and there fab.

So many people say things like let them rest, let them breath, take a break, its not required :)

Read and learn

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

Myth 1: Nails Need to Breath.

No, they don't! There is no reason to believe that nails need to "breathe". Nails aren't alive and don't have lungs nor do they have any ability to absorb air into the nail plate. This myth makes no sense on many levels! In short, nails do NOT require an external air supply and do not breathe or exhale. 100% of the oxygen needed by the nail matrix to create a new nail plate comes from the blood stream and 0% comes from the outside world.
Everything the nail plate needs to properly grow and function is delivered and/or removed by the blood flow to the matrix area and nail bed. The matrix is where the nail plate is created from nutrients which can ONLY be delivered by the blood stream. Neither "air" nor "nutrients" can be absorbed or "fed" to the nail plate from any external source.
Moisture and natural nail oils leave the nail bed and pass through the nail plate at slower than normal rates, but they aren't "trapped". The nail plate's moisture content is increased by 10-15%, and the oil content increases only slightly; both, serves to increase the flexibility of the natural nail plate.
Waste products are removed from the matrix area and surrounding tissues by the blood as well, and are not released into the nail plate. Normal, healthy nail plates would continue to grow and thrive in a completely air-free environment, as long as a healthy flow of blood to the nail is maintained, so clearly... nails don't need to

Latest posts

Back