Do people not want to work these days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys I'm going to really put the cat amongst the pigeons here, if you want complete flexibility, work for yourself, if you want the benefits of being paid for holidays, bank holidays, maternity leave, a regular weekly wage, work for someone but don't expect to get preferential treatment if you have children or dogs. There's not many jobs out there that will give you a wage and complete flexibility!

Which is exactly why I'm mobile!:D

These arent necessarily my own thoughts but i can imagine that many people would see salon employment as second choice to being self employed. It might feel like a sacrifice to be taking minimum wage, much as you enjoy your job.

In this respect, there has to be some justification for getting out of bed in the morning to work for someone else whether that be product training, commission or a level of flexibility within reason on the employers part when it comes to flexibilty with working hours...if childcare costs five pound an hour, what sort of profit can you make on min wage if you have to pay for childcare for that many hours?

I dont think its about employees having a bad attitude, i think its about ensuring that going to work actually pays bills. Otherwise everyone would work on a voluntary basis.

Im without children so im just thinking into it i guess.

I'm currently recruiting for Senior Therapists and I cannot believe the standard of applicants! I mean seriously... I've had cant work late nights as who would feed horse! No one to take dog out etc etc!! It's so frustrating!! What's happened to work ethics!!! :(

I'm with you on this 100%.

It's indicative of today's society, generally speaking. People just want to cherry pick their hours and be paid a premium :rolleyes:

I think therapists are aware nowadays of the hours that are required in the industry so it should come as no surprise?

Hope you get someone :)

I'm with you on this 100%.

It's indicative of today's society, generally speaking. People just want to cherry pick their hours and be paid a premium :rolleyes:

I think therapists are aware nowadays of the hours that are required in the industry so it should come as no surprise?

Hope you get someone :)

The employers expect the staff not to have any life outside of workplace, full commitment, excellent skills. In return the employee gets minimal wage and often taxes are not paid properly either.

You cannot just take, sometimes you have to give too.

The employers expect the staff not to have any life outside of workplace, full commitment, excellent skills. In return the employee gets minimal wage and often taxes are not paid properly either.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

For what its worth i prefer being employed but finding a job where taxes and ni and paid properly is a make or break for me.

I think if i was to be a senior therapist with key holding resonsibilities i would be looking for £8.20 ph minimum plus full product training. I dont have children.

To bring it back to the op, for all we know you could be offering an amazing package for the right person so i do wish you the best of luck in your search :)

There would be more incentive to be flexible if we got more than measly minimum wage...x

This has gone a bit off topic now but its very interesting.

I prefer to be in employment but because of the low wage im paid i understand that im not doing it for the money. Therefore when looking for a job in beauty ill value things like a good working environment where there is scope to be valued and widen my experience re treatments and products. Like because im not in it for the pay im in it for job satisfaction and if that cant be given then i question why im bothering.

I think that most people are good people who do want to work and who do have a good attitude but companies need to find out what motivates people in terms of keeping them as loyal employees. In my experience it is all too easy for employers to miss this valuable point.

I think id make a good manager but i dont think i could handle it just yet.

So yeah, people want to work but they come at a price.

I completely agree with this. I worked in a spa once.. Minimum wage.. Had no social life. No benefits to working there.. So gave a lot of the staff no motivation. Which is why there was and still a high turnover of staff there.
I think it's Disgusting how they can pay so low for something you need qualifications in.

I completely agree with this. I worked in a spa once.. Minimum wage.. Had no social life. No benefits to working there.. So gave a lot of the staff no motivation. Which is why there was and still a high turnover of staff there.
I think it's Disgusting how they can pay so low for something you need qualifications in.

I totally agree. Things like product training and general staff incentives are needed and this can make or break a spa experience.

Like because im not in it for the pay im in it for job satisfaction and if that cant be given then i question why im bothering.

I will work for minimum wage because I love beauty, but...the fact I've trained in something and get the same as someone who works in ASDA is a bit unfair..?

I will work for minimum wage because I love beauty, but...the fact I've trained in something and get the same as someone who works in ASDA is a bit unfair..?

Couldn't agree more! 2-3 years of full time college! My second job -no qualification needed, is £8.90 ph, (goes up about 45p per hour each year) 2 weeks full sick pay and 5.5 weeks holiday... None beauty related. Xx

I dont think its unfair at all to be paid min wage. No one asked you to train, you wanted to. I would just be greatfull to be in a job and get paid in this climate.

I think it works both ways. If you like the person anfdthey are good at what they do if they have to feed the horse walk the dog look after children at a certain time of day theres always a way around it. People have other things to do other than just work.

QUOTE=Alpenrose;1845512]The employers expect the staff not to have any life outside of workplace, full commitment, excellent skills. In return the employee gets minimal wage and often taxes are not paid properly either.

You cannot just take, sometimes you have to give too.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely about give and take.

However, I have to say some employers are staff focused. We don't know the hours discussed/expected from the OP.

I have worked in a spa before and was really lucky. I worked hard but was trained well, rewarded and felt like a valued member of staff. My hourly rate was slightly more than NMW.

I worked late shifts and weekends but understood that being in this industry required me to be working some unsocial hours.

I have a baby now so the late nights aren't ideal for me either, but I appreciate it goes with the territory. With that in mind, I'm setting up myself so I can work around my family :D

Agree with the suggestion about stating your your hours required so as to let people be clear from the outset.

Can I be a dummy and ask what you mean about correct tax and ni, please?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I mean that employers often try to find ways not to pay those.

Apart from common working as "self-employed" when you are treated as employee, it is also common to pay in cash, or offer a cash payment lower than NMW and openly stating that they will not pay more, as this is "cash in hand" and you would get this amount if the taxes were deducted from proper NMW. Also, I know someone who was "employed" and then issued with the fake payslips, stating how much NIN was paid. When the salon went bust and the girl went to claim benefits. It turned out that the tax was not paid at all.

I had a experience when I had to contact ACAS for advice to get my earned money, as the boss just wouldn't pay.

After all that I somehow cannot be bothered to even look at job adverts for this industry. It is much more rewarding to work on my own, the hours that suit my family, pets and of course, clients.

I mean that employers often try to find ways not to pay those.

Apart from common working as "self-employed" when you are treated as employee, it is also common to pay in cash, or offer a cash payment lower than NMW and openly stating that they will not pay more, as this is "cash in hand" and you would get this amount if the taxes were deducted from proper NMW. Also, I know someone who was "employed" and then issued with the fake payslips, stating how much NIN was paid. When the salon went bust and the girl went to claim benefits. It turned out that the tax was not paid at all.

I had a experience when I had to contact ACAS for advice to get my earned money, as the boss just wouldn't pay.

After all that I somehow cannot be bothered to even look at job adverts for this industry. It is much more rewarding to work on my own, the hours that suit my family, pets and of course, clients.

Oh my goodness. Really?

Thanks for explaining that so well. I can't believe this actually goes on!

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have a little girl who is gifted ( no im not exxagerating) and needs constant attention. She could read fluently by age 3. She also plays piano and can add/subtract. She hates toys and is super active and loves education so I homeschool her. Gifted children are very sensitive and even at age 3 they get outcasted and bullied. I stay home with her or when I used to work, my husband stayed home.
My point: We are very in much in need of money. I have too much experience and skill in this industry; and need for my daughters happiness too not be picky of my hours and wages. I dont feel that I ask too much. I feel that its not fair the way so many salons get away with giving out such little pay and expect us to be completely flexible while we miss out on our childrens lives. Ill keep waiting for a perfect job to come round.

Why work for someone else when you can do so much better on your own.The wages being paid for someone that may be highly qualified are appalling.
How much exactly does someones wages go up from say just out of college to being highly trained,qualified and experienced probably about £2 an hour.Beauty therapists wages are disgraceful.Spa therapists even worse.They are treated like slave labour with hour after hour of massage with hardly any breaks.

When your a senior therapist how much is the wage and are you putting in the extra hours in order to get a rise? Are you expected to do managerial work as well as clients are you expected to supervise juniors/do things like cashing up and opening and closing the shop. Could someone explain to me the difference in wage? I am self employed and have been for years and am not aware of the job specification. What are the incentives to work long hours and if you can get paid more and have better hours in asda? I know woman who work extremely long and hard hours (in another business) they are willing to do Sundays nights and all the extra like getting called in on days off but are on a great wage/salary so they do it. can someone explain the differences in money and responsiblity please. I have no opinion as I'm not an employer or an employee, I also have no kids but would like to hear out of interest xxxx

I nearly work late every night of the week!! But I'm self employed running my business on my own so why wouldn't I? The more I work the more money for myself, but If I was employed working someone else no chance I would be wanting to work late for basic wage!! It's a fact if you work for yourself you will put the hours in & fit in as much clients as possible!!

Latest posts

Back