Do people not want to work these days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty0000

Reaction score
I'm currently recruiting for Senior Therapists and I cannot believe the standard of applicants! I mean seriously... I've had cant work late nights as who would feed horse! No one to take dog out etc etc!! It's so frustrating!! What's happened to work ethics!!! :(

I see your point, but as I also have a dog (responsibility) I do have to make sure I can care for him. I still work late nights mobile and have a part time day job. I can work 10 hours in a day, just not all at once. There are dog walkers, partners etc if needs be. My mum was an angel helping me out, but now she has moved away i have had to turn down hours and change a shift at work. Xx

I think the problem when you are looking for a senior therapist with experience that are actually good at what they do, it is highly unlikely that they are free to work the long hours that young girls fresh out of college with no responsibilities can.

That is why often therapists who are experienced end up working for themselves so that they can be flexible with their schedules and have hours to suit their busy lives.

A place I worked once, they had a nice set up where they had lots of part time staff who all only did one late night and we all worked alternate Saturdays. It was good because they realised that we all actually had a life outside of work and couldn't give up every evening and every weekend for them.

Have you considered getting lots of people to just do one evening each?

I think the problem when you are looking for a senior therapist with experience that are actually good at what they do, it is highly unlikely that they are free to work the long hours that young girls fresh out of college with no responsibilities can.

That is why often therapists who are experienced end up working for themselves so that they can be flexible with their schedules and have hours to suit their busy lives.

A place I worked once, they had a nice set up where they had lots of part time staff who all only did one late night and we all worked alternate Saturdays. It was good because they realised that we all actually had a life outside of work and couldn't give up every evening and every weekend for them.

Have you considered getting lots of people to just do one evening each?

A recipe for disaster no? Firstly training costs shoot up as all those part timers need training in the skincare/systems used by the salon. Also, what are they doing the rest of the time? Mobile?
I too have had the 'cant do Saturdays, can't start before 9.30 type people at interview. Why they feel they can apply to a salon and refuse to work salon hours is beyond me.

I see your point, but as I also have a dog (responsibility) I do have to make sure I can care for him. I still work late nights mobile and have a part time day job. I can work 10 hours in a day, just not all at once. There are dog walkers, partners etc if needs be. My mum was an angel helping me out, but now she has moved away i have had to turn down hours and change a shift at work. Xx
I know exactly the type you mean and they need a good kick up the bum to get them into the real world. Make it clear on your ad the hours that they MUST work.

Honestly you just get to the point of why the hell did I bother. Surely there are people out there!!! X

I gave birth to mine lol!!! My daughter started working with me part time, about 3 months ago. She also has 2 bar jobs and is finishing her NVQ3. She did a client yesterday who wanted to rebook a late Monday. I work Mondays but finish about 5, so she told the client she would come in on the Monday after a full day at college to do her treatment. Proud? Too right!!!

I've just gone from a home salon to a high street, I've given up looking for staff at the moment - I have a feeling all the good ones are already employed!! However my eldest daughter who is normally a full time Mum has been helping me out (foc) on reception, she's doing so well, all the clients love her because she's always smiley and friendly. She's now thinking about doing some part time training in beauty.

Hi hun

As Kim has said make it clear on your advertisement the hours and days they are required to work. This will hopefully ensure those who are applying know from the get go what is expected of them.
Good luck x x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've just gone from a home salon to a high street, I've given up looking for staff at the moment - I have a feeling all the good ones are already employed!! However my eldest daughter who is normally a full time Mum has been helping me out (foc) on reception, she's doing so well, all the clients love her because she's always smiley and friendly. She's now thinking about doing some part time training in beauty.

Tell her to - I really think you can learn the skills, but a lot of people either have the attitude or they don't. My daughter didn't want to do beauty initially, but sort of landed at it. She was like a duck to water, and has had a great influence on my (slightly stagnant) business, and it's growing!!! Very glad I don't have to employ in the traditional sense!

i think there are several problems to be honest, we all lead busy lives, salons are open later and later and quite often salaries dont reflect the job that people do.

years ago i worked in a salon where i did 9am-9pm 3 days out of the week, and as a single parent it was very hard not just childcare wise but generall just keeping my house going!

as said before i would either get 2 part time staff who will be alot happier and stay with you longer or advertise the working hours so that applicants are aware at application.

good luck

i think there are several problems to be honest, we all lead busy lives, salons are open later and later and quite often salaries dont reflect the job that people do.

years ago i worked in a salon where i did 9am-9pm 3 days out of the week, and as a single parent it was very hard not just childcare wise but generall just keeping my house going!

as said before i would either get 2 part time staff who will be alot happier and stay with you longer or advertise the working hours so that applicants are aware at application.

good luck

I couldn't agree anymore with you Souz. People do have LIVES and you shouldn't live to work! Some Salon/Spas in Edinburgh are open as late as 10pm during the week and I think its rediculous. People do have families to go home to and if i had a baby i wouldn't want to come home to a sleeping baby/child most nights of the weeks and having to work weekends too - how guilty would you feel! Also some people are single parents and dont have family to take care of their children or cant afford to have them in care till stupid o clock at night. I think with a senior therapist too they are more likely to have children. I think its fine if your young, coming out of college with no responsibilites and living at home to do later hours but not for someone who is older with families to be there for and a house to be looked after. Also as Souz said the beauty industry is not well paid when you are working for someone and i think one person doing shifts like that will get fed up quickly and leave. Its much better for 2 part time staff to share hours like this.

good luck
I completely agree with this. When I left college I initially looked into working at a local spa but was put off by the 12 hour days (and weekends) and pittance they were going to be paying and therefore opted for
self-employment. It was the best decision I ever made!

I can understand the drive and ambition it takes to be a salon owner and the need to work all the hours god sends but it is unrealistic to expect your employees to feel the same way.

PB
x

Theres a difference between being picky about hours and wanting to be part time.

Part timers can be hard workers too.

At least people are being honest at interview rather than taking the job and then being picky.

Im sure youll find someone...be sure to advertise widely and be clear on the hours theyll need to work.

Hope you find someone :)

Everyone has a life. Be it children, pets or family to look after.
I am a very hard worker and worked my butt off to get a salon job which took years. As employers just looked at me like I didn't want to do the job when I seriously did but Obviously I cant let my 8 year old bring herself home from school! Lol
But I'm finally where I want to be. I luckily found a place where I can leave early a couple of days a week and stay late every other thurs & Saturday as there are 2 of us here so the salon is never without a nail tech.
My mum helps out by picking up daughter 3 times a week and without her I wouldn't be in the job that I love so much.

Maybe put down the hours so that people who can't do those hours won't apply?
Sam x

thanks emma and petit basque for agreeing

there are so many people that are looking for just evenings and weekend work around their families whilst at the same time you have others who want the day time hours so makes sense to evolve with the world that we live in now and adapt.

i have a friend who is a great therapist but her husband works nights and she has 3 children. She works in the day whilst he looks after the kids and then they swap at night. salons are missing out as she cant do the late nights as lets face it how many childminders or nurseries are open until late at night??

just something for owners to think about? keep your staff happy and they work harder and stay with you longer and you reap the benefits yet not being flexible means staff that dont want to work hard or even work for you at all xx...obviously i am talking within reason x

For me personally, as a mum of 4, and with a hubby who works away mon-fri, we were actually only slightly worse off with me NOT working, than having taken a salon job (I applied for a couple after being made redundant in Jan). The "flexible" hours, and pretty dismal hourly rates would mean that after paying out for "flexible" child care, I would be lucky to have enough left over to pay my petrol and car insurance! I have always worked, and always paid for nurseries & childminders (no family close by) but have always had the wage to justify doing so.
But thats how my mobile business was born, I love that i can work it around my kids, only pay for child care if its justified, and long-term, it will undoubtedly be a lot more profitable, and as much as I love what I do - I will not do it for free!

Majority of my staff have kids, and its admirable that they wish to work. Yes sometimes for me it can be unbareable to not have an empolyee in due to children being ill etc, but we work around that and i try to be conscience to it.

I feel that salon hours are a proper work week, weekends i can understand are for kids, so i try to extend the work hours on weekdays in order to be flexible for my staff on weekends, then i have no messy excuses. Its a nice balance.

I generally find that therapist that make so many excuses to not work or be a part time as possible are disinterested with our industry. They dont have the passion to work come in and each day is different. xoxo

good luck

I agree - the working week has got longer. We used to have half day closing and never work Sundays. Things have changed and people are expected to be accessible. You also used to get paid time and a half or double time when working 'inconvenient' hours. People want everything 24/7.

You also cannot expect employees to feel the same about your business as you do but I get the point that a salon owner would want a certain commitment level and enthusiasm. This tends to be a low paid industry and the more experienced are likely to be self employed, so a couple of part timers splitting the late hours might be better.

Sorry guys I'm going to really put the cat amongst the pigeons here, if you want complete flexibility, work for yourself, if you want the benefits of being paid for holidays, bank holidays, maternity leave, a regular weekly wage, work for someone but don't expect to get preferential treatment if you have children or dogs. There's not many jobs out there that will give you a wage and complete flexibility!

Latest posts

Back