Do you believe that what goes around comes around?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the Quote....

"How people treat you is there Karma,
How you react is yours......."

I find it a bit ironic though that people manage to turn something which is very spiritual from the Bhuddist belief that whatever you do comes back to you, into something quite spiteful and vengeful ;)
Karma isn't about wishing ill to befall someone because they have wronged you, it's about you always trying to do good to ensure that no ill befalls you.

I prefer the Quote....

"How people treat you is there Karma,
How you react is yours......."

I find it a bit ironic though that people manage to turn something which is very spiritual from the Bhuddist belief that whatever you do comes back to you, into something quite spiteful and vengeful ;)
Karma isn't about wishing ill to befall someone because they have wronged you, it's about you always trying to do good to ensure that no ill befalls you.

I don't think my mum was quoting from Buddha Izzi......... More from The Krays. Lol x

Last edited:
I'm knackered either way!

I agree with your mum's wait and see approach Kim, totally :) I am also very very patient.

It's just the actively wishing something bad to happen that goes against the grain of all the Bhuddist teachings I have read.

I know its true because my mum used to say to me you wait till you get your own children and house and you are forever cleaning up after them moan moan moan.I now say to my children you wait till you get your own houses and kids and are cleaning up after them all the time you'll know what its like for me.Moan moan moan.I knew I should have been tidier.

I agree with your mum's wait and see approach Kim, totally :) I am also very very patient.

It's just the actively wishing something bad to happen that goes against the grain of all the Bhuddist teachings I have read.
I am jesting Izzi. You'd be very surprised to know that I've always been very spiritual. I bitch and moan with rest of them when someone hurts me or hacks me off. However, I have never and would never wish bad on anyone or do anything to hurt or harm anyone or grass anyone up.

Just to clarify, when my mum says 'Sit back and wait' she's not saying something bad is going to happen to them, let's all sit back and laugh when it happens'. No way! She's saying that you should never wish bad on anyone as you don't need to as what goes around comes around'.

It's not about bad things happening to them. It's about something happening to them to make them reflect on what they've said or done.

I've had some terrible times in my life like many if us, but I don't put it down to me being paid back because I've never done anyone wrong. It's just life.

Hope that gets my mum a reprieve:) xx

Lol………I think the trick is to forget about them and then you'll hear through the grapevine that bad luck has come their way. You mustn't focus on it. Leave it to the Universe to deal with them. x

Yep!! 100% agree... The more you focus on things happening to others the more it will happen to you...the law of attraction :)

I agree entirely, and I think I might once or twice, or indeed a dozen or so times posted similar on these boards when the old karma post does its annual rounds!

The problem is that in the west the principle of karma has become conflated with notions of some mysterious force of retribution, punishment and 'an eye for an eye', implying also some sort of 'judgement'. These principles are completely at odds with the concept of karma.

Re the law of attraction and western misconceptions of karma;

The problem with this sort of thinking is that when applied to real world problems it falls short. Can the third world 'think themselves out of starvation', are the abused simply not concentrating enough on positive thoughts, are those who suddenly become victim to disease and disability just reaping the fruits of their negative thoughts?!

The big issue with these sorts of cliches from the little book of pop-spirituality for beginners are that they all seem a little wooly and half thought through when they're applied to events outside of our own petty kitchen sink dramas. They're usually just sayings cobbled together by have-a-go gurus trying to sell a naff book or two on the back of promises to free us from the inevitable, usually by following a half-understood esoteric philosophy, which when divorced from its native religion or faith loses all meaning and context.

Re the law of attraction and western misconceptions of karma;

The problem with this sort of thinking is that when applied to real world problems it falls short. Can the third world 'think themselves out of starvation', are the abused simply not concentrating enough on positive thoughts, are those who suddenly become victim to disease and disability just reaping the fruits of their negative thoughts?!

The big issue with these sorts of cliches from the little book of pop-spirituality for beginners are that they all seem a little wooly and half thought through when they're applied to events outside of our own petty kitchen sink dramas. They're usually just sayings cobbled together by have-a-go gurus trying to sell a naff book or two on the back of promises to free us from the inevitable, usually by following a half-understood esoteric philosophy, which when divorced from its native religion or faith loses all meaning and context.

My husband would agree with you here Martin. I have book upon book on this sort of thing and everytime another one comes through the door he rolls his eyes :D. I think it's all about what people want or need to believe at the time. If just one of these sayings helps someone then that has to be a good thing.

It's not that I don't have any spiritual beliefs, that's far from the truth, it's more the modern western habit of misappropriating other cultures indigenous beliefs and presenting them as something they are not that I take issue with! I consider it the esoteric equivalent of a dabbler in an NSS salon. True spirituality is much more than the bandying about of the odd cod-esoteric phrase when things aren't going ones way in life!

I fully agree on the issues you stated Martin 100% no one asks to be in a 3rd world country, sick or abused in the slightest and all the positive thoughts in the planet can't change those circumstances, nor can thoughts change some people beliefs, religious or spiritual, everyone needs something at some point of their lives to believe in something to help them through whatever it is :)

I have no religion in my life but live my life to "what goes around, comes around". This is my belief. I get great comfort from it. I love doing good deeds, it really makes me feel better to help someone. I don't wish bad to happen to anyone. It eventually happens all by itself if they're bad people.

And Martin Duffy has made the most sense so far on this thread.

I suppose because I grew up in a Buddhist household, my interpretation may be a bit different as far as karma goes. I was taught karma is the thought or action we put out; the seed. And with everything that comes from that seed is a result; the fruit. And as this process may not always be linear, many seeds can come together to bear one fruit, or one seed can bear many fruits. It's not a judgement/punishment system, but is a factor to our own happiness/suffering.

it my thoughts on karma...

Attachments

• 2013-11-16 14.28.15.jpg
    2013-11-16 14.28.15.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 96
I have no religion in my life but live my life to "what goes around, comes around". This is my belief. I get great comfort from it. I love doing good deeds, it really makes me feel better to help someone. I don't wish bad to happen to anyone. It eventually happens all by itself if they're bad people.

And Martin Duffy has made the most sense so far on this thread.

I did a good deed today. There was a very elderly lady trying to walk up a steep bit of hill. She was on two walking sticks. I could see people watching her, but no offer of help. I went down to her and asked her if she needed help. She couldn't even lift her head as she was so humped over. So I asked her to link my arm and took my time with her until she got to where she wanted to be. It was a good feeling to have helped her.

I did a good deed today. There was a very elderly lady trying to walk up a steep bit of hill. She was on two walking sticks. I could see people watching her, but no offer of help. I went down to her and asked her if she needed help. She couldn't even lift her head as she was so humped over. So I asked her to link my arm and took my time with her until she got to where she wanted to be. It was a good feeling to have helped her.

That was lovely of you. I do this too, help people cross over the road, always hold doors open for others etc etc . .. but. .... don't you find when you are busy you seem to find loads of people that need your assistance.... if I'm in a hurry I always seem get the lady who spills her purse all over the floor at the checkout, or someone always needs help getting the last packet from the back of the shelves, or who's car breaks down in front of you or you get stopped for directions....I have sometimes thought. .Oh please let me get on I'm late as it is. ..!:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also think what goes around comes around!

What goes around comes around?

I tend to believe in this.

Maybe its just a saying to keep us all on the straight and narrow .

if your conscience doesn't keep you in line...maybe you need fear or guilt to do it for you.....very catholic .lol

Latest posts

Back