Do you feel like trying to build a business gets too much sometimes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey. I opened my salon 2 weeks ago...its going pretty well. But this week is defo quieter than last week was and I have had a few sleepless nights...but the good days pick you up. Thats how I feel anyway.

Steve....I'm guessing you'r talking about my delivery...I am so so so big on customer service and Dawn was more than fantastic about keeping me up to date, I am so happy with my tan and the tan is generating a lot of interest...thanks so much!!!!!! xxx

I call them duvet days!
Some days I wake up, leap out of bed and conquer the world, get loads done, ooze enthusiasm and pzaazzzzz!

Then I wake up another day and doubt everything, wonder what the hell I'm doing and think about going to work in tesco. I promise myself that I can wallow in self-pity for the rest of the day, eat what I want and if no clients booked in, take myself off for an indulgent lunch or stick the duvet over my head and say "wibble".

Then, hey presto, I wake up the next day, leap out of bed and conquer the world, get loads done, ooze enthusiams and pzaazzzz!

hahaha, exactly darlin! :lol:

I'm glad if I managed to give a bit of encouragement!
I was working in London in the late 80's and early 90's. We went from being a busy, buzzy salon that was rated one of the best in London, to completely dead. We all sat around looking at each other wmondering if we had upset everyone! The truth was that our clients were skint, scared and not inclined to spend. Hard times.
Then it got better. We picked up.
At the worst, I felt that my career was over and nobody wanted hairdressers anymore!
It all feels a bit like that now.
I generally do 45 to 50 clients a week myself. At the moment I'm hovering around 40 to 45. It's tough out there. It will pick up.
Control your costs. Try not to borrow money. Keep overheads as low as poss.
The reality is, that a cheaper less experienced hairdresser cannot work at the level that I do. A mobile doesnt have the stock and equipment resources that I do.
At some point people will start spending again, and we have to be ready for them.

hiya everyone, reading this is has given me a better outlook really, i am in the process of setting up my own salon and need all the help i can get really but seeing that quiet stages can happen to eveyone and not just new starters is quite a weight lifted. Marketing for me is a big issue really and i wouldnt mind goin on a course or something if anyone knows of any in noth east england?????????

thanks again eveyone xxxxxx
(sorry i sort of invaded someone elses problem)

Please never forget, ice cream companies don't advertise in winter when nobody wants their product. They spend on advertising in summer.
If clients want you, but can't afford you this month, no amount of advertising will change that. If you reduce your prices, your income is badly hit.
We just have to tough it out. Hopefully we will have a new business friendly government next year, which will help.
The FTSE hit 5000 today which may herald better times ahead. For anyone interested, google "the economic clock" and have a guess where we are, and whats ahead.

Latest posts

Back