Do you feel like trying to build a business gets too much sometimes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siennax1

Reaction score
Does anyone ever have those weeks where you just feel like it's all getting on top of you :cry:

I was never under the impression that trying to build a business was going to be quick and easy, but sometimes I do get a little run down because it is difficult. You get your really quiet weeks and you just think, shall I pack it all in as you need money to pay the bills and have a life. I really don't like working the typical 9-5 job and have all ways worked self employed. It's what I enjoy doing and I thrive on it. I also do this full time so I have to work hard and do my best with it to get an income. I don't know whether to now get a p/t job or just carry on as I'm doing?

I'm having one of those weeks and it's dead. Talk about stress! :irked:

I guess it's tricky; I'm going to be in the same boat as you in a couple of months. Perhaps you could put extra focus on marketing and advertising during your quiet days/weeks?
Posted via Mobile Device

yes !! yesterday was a nightmare we had a very important delivery that we had promised a client would be there on time and one our couriers driver quit his job and abandoned his van in the middle of scotland :eek::eek: thankfully it did get there but a little late
today however has been a joy so far lots of calls and emails been round to see a few clients had lots of nice feedback and coffee and biscuits :lol:
But I would back up what Ruth said about marketing yourself better. And remember it could all be mad next week when the kids go back. Chin up and dont give up !!

Last edited:
My goodness, what a nightmare! You would expect courier drivers to deliver the goods (quite literally lol) and not just quit in the middle of the working day! How unprofessional of them! Still, I guess that driver won't be getting a good reference from his ex-employer!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

You have to take the rough with the smooth. You get set backs and good times and you have to roll with it. It takes 3 years to get to the point where you can real income from a business and have regular work you can rely on.

Kate

I agree with kate. Allow 3 years to get a business going. Usually on the "dead" weeks, your too skint to spend anything on marketing, and its as much as anyone can do to keep going, let alone save half your money for tax, staff hols, and advertising.
Keep going tho. Its really tough out there. The ones that get through this recession will be the tough, resilient and successful bussinesses in 2 years time. I have been through a recession in this industry before, and know what to expect. Honestly, keep going. x

I agree with kate. Allow 3 years to get a business going. Usually on the "dead" weeks, your too skint to spend anything on marketing, and its as much as anyone can do to keep going, let alone save half your money for tax, staff hols, and advertising.
Keep going tho. Its really tough out there. The ones that get through this recession will be the tough, resilient and successful bussinesses in 2 years time. I have been through a recession in this industry before, and know what to expect. Honestly, keep going. x

FAB FAB FAB advice! I totally echo!! keep going geeks onwards and upwards xxxx

I feel like this at the moment as well. Im about to do a big leaflet drop with all my new treatments and a complete new price list as well as the website being all done and changed as well. Im finding it very difficult at the moment as well. Im still at home with the parents thank god as i wouldn't be able to do what im doing. I think Persianistas words are inspirational and if she's been there before and seen what happens i say we should be taking her advice and hanging on in there. Thanks for the advice and support persianista

Totally know how your feeling Siennax1 but echo the sentiment 'KEEP GOING' you can do it!

August was such a crap month for me - 1 client all month - seriously considered forgetting the whole thing and questioned what I was doing but suddenly have had bookings pick up for Sept and am now pleased i persevered.

I think all the geeks advice on here is fantastic and hearing from persianista that it takes about 3 years to really earn from this business takes the pressure off a bit - you always feel like there's something wrong with you if you're not succeeding straight away - especially when you're on your own.

I love this site, thanks to all the geeks who keep me going xxx

i agree

sometimes though feels like 2 steps forward 10 steps back but those knocks make us stronger and we learn from them, each one is a new lesson. well thats how i look at things when im being positive when im in a negative mood usually after one of those knocks i feel like throwing it all in and then i realise how far i have come and how much i would have wasted in time money and energy to allow these things and people to stop me on my mission lol xx

I know how you feel! Felt the same way through August, which was a very quiet month for me.

There were moments when I was sitting here feeling very sorry for myself and wondering if any one wants what I have to offer... thinking maybe they don't and I'm wasting my time...

But I know I want this! and I want to be successful!!!

During my quiet times I was busy doing free self promotions like walking around sticking magnetic business cards in people's letter boxes, sending mail-outs to customers and potential customers, selling my trade on community chat forums, offering something free with service, as well as doing cheap advertising like $15 to place an add in the local school newsletter. Generally letting people know I exist!!

It didn't pay off during August, I was still quiet, but it left me feeling busy and things are starting to pay off this month.

I wish you and every one Good Luck and hope that things pick up for us soon :green:

:) It definatly has it ups and downs this buisness, sometimes in the past Id say , Ive felt like throwing it all in many a time,but Ive always stopped myself as Ive put farrrrrrrr too much money into it now .Now I find most of the time Im on an up on a high,getting compliments about my work and keeping my clients, as I feel Im improving and want to improve more and more...:lol:.

Last week I had no work for three days , this week Im working seven days :eek:.As much as I enjoyed the time off last week, Im counting down the days to my next lay in ...mmm wont be till next weekend.:irked: I think its good to make the most of your quiet times , not sitting around getting depressed,enjoy your time off,make the most of your advertising.Save for a rainy day, thats one of the things you need to learn to do when you work for yourself.:)

Keep yur chin up , you could get another job , but I myself have another buisness, which sometimes gets in the way of my nail buisness,its great knowing Ive got another income coming in, but I feel if I didnt have this other buisness then my nail biz would be bigger...hope that makes sense.:)

I agree keep going, ive had my salon for 7 years now and can recall many a time i thought it was hopeless and i was ready to just walk away from it all. Keep positive it will pick up, and no matter how bad you are feeling just make sure you have a smile for every client that walks through the door and focus on making the time they spend in your salon the most enjoyable it can be and they will come back. Times are tough right now last xmas for me was a nightmare the quietest ever and i never thought i would survive this year but suddenly things picked up in april and ive been non stop ever since but making sure any excess i make is put to one side for the tough months that may lie ahead. good luck. x

oh sweetie.. i may be in a totally different situation and also profession but i can tell you i know how hard it is!

My poor dad is a management consultant with his own firm (ok well he only really employs himself) but some times he has to turn work down and has money pouring in and sometimes like now we are only eating baked beans (god it smells dreadful in my house!)

If its any help I have done a degree in marketing and am happy to help out in any way i can??

Truthfully pm me n tell me about your marketing material and all about your salon e.t.c what promo's or offers or extra POS you have and it may be useful just to have an 'outsider' look over some of the stuff as a customer/repeat customer..

ohh do u have repeat customers??

Ok lots too ask.. pm me if you want a chat gorgeous!

Sending hugs your way

X

september is always a quiet month for spray tanning
people are just back from their summer hols and have a natural tan any way come november when the xmas party season kicks in you will be rushed off your feet
why dont you go round to hair dressers or salons in your area that dont do spray tanning and offer them a free tan if you can stick a flyer on their wall their customers always ask have you been on hols etc what a great tan and they will promote your business for you stick with it :hug:

Thank you everyone :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's nice to read all of your comments as I was having a very low day yesterday :cry:

I know I have to take the rough with the smooth, but it's nice to get it all of my chest and talk about it.
I do alot of advertising so hopefully it'll all come my way in the end. I get good feed back so I think, why is it bloody quiet then! Of course this recession doesn't help I know.
My poor partner has to work harder for the both of us bless him. Hopefully it'll be worth it

Some good ideas on here to

x x

:) It definatly has it ups and downs this buisness, sometimes in the past Id say , Ive felt like throwing it all in many a time,but Ive always stopped myself as Ive put farrrrrrrr too much money into it now .Now I find most of the time Im on an up on a high,getting compliments about my work and keeping my clients, as I feel Im improving and want to improve more and more...:lol:.

Last week I had no work for three days , this week Im working seven days :eek:.As much as I enjoyed the time off last week, Im counting down the days to my next lay in ...mmm wont be till next weekend.:irked: I think its good to make the most of your quiet times , not sitting around getting depressed,enjoy your time off,make the most of your advertising.Save for a rainy day, thats one of the things you need to learn to do when you work for yourself.:)

Keep yur chin up , you could get another job , but I myself have another buisness, which sometimes gets in the way of my nail buisness,its great knowing Ive got another income coming in, but I feel if I didnt have this other buisness then my nail biz would be bigger...hope that makes sense.:)

Oh god yea, on my quiet days I get really bored and irritable because you're stuck in the house thinking!!! Then when you get a busy week it's an effort to get going because one minute you not rushing around like a headless chicken, then suddenly you've got all the time in the world :eek:

I call them duvet days!
Some days I wake up, leap out of bed and conquer the world, get loads done, ooze enthusiasm and pzaazzzzz!

Then I wake up another day and doubt everything, wonder what the hell I'm doing and think about going to work in tesco. I promise myself that I can wallow in self-pity for the rest of the day, eat what I want and if no clients booked in, take myself off for an indulgent lunch or stick the duvet over my head and say "wibble".

Then, hey presto, I wake up the next day, leap out of bed and conquer the world, get loads done, ooze enthusiams and pzaazzzz!

I call them duvet days!
Some days I wake up, leap out of bed and conquer the world, get loads done, ooze enthusiasm and pzaazzzzz!

Then I wake up another day and doubt everything, wonder what the hell I'm doing and think about going to work in tesco. I promise myself that I can wallow in self-pity for the rest of the day, eat what I want and if no clients booked in, take myself off for an indulgent lunch or stick the duvet over my head and say "wibble".

Then, hey presto, I wake up the next day, leap out of bed and conquer the world, get loads done, ooze enthusiams and pzaazzzz!

HaHaHaHaHa - love it, and sooo true!

I have been quite slow over the old school holiday period but I don't mind as it's been the only chance I've had to re-decorate the salon without suffocating anyone with the stink of paint, I've been beavering away on the old laptop sorting out my Christmas promotions & marketing, working out what products are going in the January sale (if I've not sold them by then!) and looking at what training I'm going to do next year (when I can afford it!).

Yes it's crap as there is not much cash coming in at the moment but you've got to take the rough with the smooth and take the opportunity to plan on how to make twice as much when things pick up again.

Keep at it!:hug:

I just opened my salon on Monday, and so far iv'e had 6 client's in and some bookings for next week, so im happy with that for week one. I'm under no illusions that it's going to be a tough road ahead but i'll have to work hard and keep up to speed with what's going on around me with competition and just try try try. I think that's all we can do. i'm finding these late night opening hours a killer though!!!

Latest posts

Back