Do you have to be Shellac trained to buy and use Shellac nail polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persiasalon

Reaction score
I've read a few posts with people mentioning they "aren't trained" in Shellac but perform the treatments just fine. I've had a look at the training courses from Sweet Squared and they look ridiculously expensive. Saying that, I've also seen people saying if you buy "the kit" you get the training course free? Can someone help clear things up for me?

Hi,

If you hold a valid manicure certificate and get an account with Sweetsquared you can purchase Shellac. Training is not compulsory but in my opinion if you are buying into a quality product and want to use it to the best of your ability why would you not train in it. ??

As to price I think CND is some of the most competitive training prices on the market. I didn't get the kit with my Shellac training I purchased it before hand but what I learnt on my courses was above and beyond any other training Ive done before.

If any of this is wrong im sure someone will correct me xxx

Ridiculously expensive??? May I ask which course you were looking at?? The CND Shellac brings the back class is under £100!!

You have to hold a manicure qualification to buy CND Shellac but don't have to do the certified course but when you see the price (I think you've been looking at the wrong price) you'll want to do it!!

you have to be qualified in manicure to perform shellac service, if you have a valid manicure qualification then contact S2 for an account. The shellac brings em back course is not expensive at all!

I done a shellac course and I was told that I can not have my certificate and purchase shellac until I purchase the starter kit? (even though I have done my manicure and pedicure). But I don't understand how come people can buy shellac if they have just the manicure certificate? Sorry for butting in on the convo but it's something that's been bugging me as I can't currently afford the whole kit but would like to be able to purchase bit by bit but obviously I can't do that? Or so I was told?

Any help and advice is much appreciated x x x

Who told you that? You can set up an account with sweet squared by sending them a copy of your certificate then order what you like!

I done a shellac course and I was told that I can not have my certificate and purchase shellac until I purchase the starter kit? (even though I have done my manicure and pedicure). But I don't understand how come people can buy shellac if they have just the manicure certificate? Sorry for butting in on the convo but it's something that's been bugging me as I can't currently afford the whole kit but would like to be able to purchase bit by bit but obviously I can't do that? Or so I was told?

Who was your Shellac course with? And who was your mani and pedi qualification with?

I bought my Shellac from Sweet Squared before I did the CND Shellac course as I had NVQ level 2 mani and pedi and CND Brisa Gel training. (And I didnt buy the starter kit I just bought what I wanted).

I firstly did my shellac brings them back and I had to take my kit with me. ie lamp, removal items, tools etc. Did you not have to take a kit on your course. You perhaps would be better speaking to Sweetsquared again.
The Shellac Intro package is very good value for money and plus you would need the whole kit to perform a proper service, so best to get it all at once so you can start making money immediately and professionally. Start as you mean to go on lol etc xxxxx

I thought that you have to have a gel nail varnish (or shellac) qualification to be insured to perform shellac? Or have I got that wrong? So can you do shellac treatments with just a manicure qualification and be properly insured? x

I thought that you have to have a gel nail varnish (or shellac) qualification to be insured to perform shellac? Or have I got that wrong? So can you do shellac treatments with just a manicure qualification and be properly insured? x

You can purchase shellac with a manicure qualification but whether you would be insured is up to your insurance company. ABT required that I did training in shellac to be insured, however when I purchased OPI gel colour they didn't require me to train (although I did) because I already had a shellac certificate. You would need to check with your relevant insurance company to be safe hun xxx

It sounds like you have been given false information. Who did you do the course with?
As has been said, you set up an account with S2 showing your certs and then you can purchase Shellac. You take your own kit to your Shellac Brings 'em back class that you have booked through S2, complete the class to the level required and wait for your certificate to come through. Then you can be registered on the loveshellac site.
Simples :)

You have been given false information which has been claified above BUT....

Would you not want to have the full kit to be able to use your qualification and give the clients the service they are paying for?

Or where you planning on saving before doing any treatments.....?

You have been given false information which has been claified above BUT....

Would you not want to have the full kit to be able to use your qualification and give the clients the service they are paying for?

Or where you planning on saving before doing any treatments.....?

Yes I was planning On saving :)

I've spoke to where I did my training and they have informed me that I can purchase shellac I just can't have my certificate I until I have brought the starter kit. X

I've spoke to where I did my training and they have informed me that I can purchase shellac I just can't have my certificate I until I have brought the starter kit. X

Who did you do your training with??

When I booked my training for shellac via S2 I coudnt do the training without the full kit as had to take it with me.

I am soon offering both OPI gelcolor and Shellac i have been an the OPI gelcolor work shop ( i used IBD just gel before and never trained with them) but after my training with OPI i was thrilled and found it very helpful and well worth the low price.

I have looked on sweetsquared and the shellac course is very reasonable too so i shall be signing up for that soon. i think its good to do them as you get lots of hints and tips and they are all similar but slightly different in their own way especially shellac as its a hybrid)

The way I look at the training query is this - you get a client and lose them because the service breaks down as you're not doing it the right way. That loss in terms of repeat business is greater than the cost of the course. No brainer.

Actually, this is true and correct.

It is possible to purchase shellac as soon as you have a sweet squared account. To do so, you must send over a copy of your manicure and pedicure certificates as minimal requirements.

However, If you have attend a CND Shellac class and NOT purchased the FULL shellac kit including the CND lamp and all solutions PRIOR to the class, then it is not able for S2 to issue you with the CND Shellac certificate. You can still attend the class as you have already booked, but the CND certificate will be held back.

The official CND shellac certificate actually reads that you are now 'an official Shellac service provider', so without purchasing the full kit, bringing it to the class, learning how to use it correctly and using CND Shellac as a full system for your service, you are not classified as a official shellac service provider so therefore it is not possible for S2 to issue you with the certificate until the full Shellac kit is purchased.

If however, that you have attended an official CND Shellac brings them back class with an official CND Education Ambassador, have bought the FULL shellac kit PRIOR to the class and used it in the class, then there should be no reason as to why your CND Shellac certificate is being held. In which case, you will need to call S2 and explain your situation.

Who did you do your training with??

When I booked my training for shellac via S2 I coudnt do the training without the full kit as had to take it with me.

I did it with my beauty therapy course as an extra and as they use shellac in the salon I was allowed to use there products to do the training x

Latest posts

Back