Do you mind clients watching you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont mind clients watching at all.

The only thing I hate is when friends / family are with them and insist on standing over my shoulder going 'oooh i've always wondered how it's done!' then I feel like I am on show! eek!!!

The only person that makes me nervous is Marco! ha ha. even my mom noticed when she was my model. have to get over that one day won't I?

Hi there,
I am fairly new to nails too, and as soon as i get clients i get really shakey and start panicking about if i am doing a good job. I am glad to see its not just me.

Take care all XX

I don't mind clients watching most of the time unless I am applyimg enamel. My hand shakes, usually they laugh and say what the matter, take a chill pill but it still happens everytime

Thanks again ladies, I need to get over the school clients I think, they maybe are a bit more nervous than usual because they know they are among the first real nails we ever did. I expect that is quite nerveracking for them.

polishing nails is a skill that you must master, whether you plan to do artificial nails, or natural nail care...it's something most customers get done at the end of whatever services you are doing on them.

I recommend anyone who is not totally confident with their polishing to do a couple things....

1) practice practice practice...that means spend an hour straight polishing someone's nails with red polish
2) learn how to polish where you are totally braced against the table. That way, you are using the stability of the table to keep you steady. I am going to copy something here that I wrote on the beautytech message board for someone. It's a way to polish where you hold the polish bottle in your hand at the same time you are polishing. It is more efficient to do it this way, and it looks more professional. Polishing is what the client looks at after she leaves you...she can bring her hands up to her face and stare at them and see every little tiny imperfection. She will be less apt to do this if she feels confident in your abilities...and if you apply polish in a "professional" manner, she will already have more confidence in you. So much in this business is "perception", so you must look professional while polishing as well as be professional.
3) This is what I posted about how to polish a nail...if you try polishing this way, you can't shake as you are braced against the table, and each of your hands are also braced. Hard to explain in words, but I "tried" below in bold....

When you polish...you want to polish by holding the polish bottle in your hand while polishing, That sets you up for being quick and efficient once you "get it".
Let's say you are right handed.
Hold the client's finger with your left hand, with your thumb and forefinger. Both your arms are braced against the table for stability. The polish bottle is held with the remaining fingers on the same hand holding the client's finger. (from the middle finger to the pinkie, but mainly the last two and less with the middle finger)…those fingers are holding the bottle tilted towards you. Just tilt the bottle towards yourself and let those fingers grasp the bottle. Your right hand will be polishing and your left hand is holding the client’s finger and the bottle of polish…both. This is efficient as the polish bottle is right there to keep dipping in to and it looks very professional.
Now....
Your goal is to apply the polish in three strokes. One down the middle and one to each side.
1) When you remove the brush from the bottle, each time, you wipe the TOP side of the brush...that leaves the majority of the polish left on the bottom, or the underside of the brush which is where you need it as that is where the brush will contact the nail. You will place the brush directly down on the nail, and that is where most of the polish will be as you have wiped the top side of the brush on the bottle.
Before you start…picture three strokes of polish covering the nail. One stroke will go directly straight down the middle of the nail. The other two strokes will be on either side of the middle stroke. Your goal is to cover the nail in these three strokes.
2) Start on the middle of the nail bed for the first stroke down the middle. Place the brush in the middle of the nail bed and slightly down towards the free edge...not all the way up by the cuticle. Slowly push back up towards the cuticle. You want to go right up to the cuticle, stopping just short of the cuticle. You do NOT want to touch the skin...but you want to get right up there..just a 'hair" away from the cuticle.
3) second stroke....put your brush BACK where you started for the first stroke...maybe a little higher, but in the middle. Then push back towards the cuticle and swirl to one side...say..the left side and bring the brush down on that side all the way...go slow so you can watch exactly where you are and you want the brush to get as close to without touching the nail
4) repeat to the right side.
Do it this way. You must do this automatically...first stroke, then next, then next. Next finger. etc etc etc.
Do not deviate. Do not keep “touching up”. Don’t do “little strokes”. Just do…first stroke…second stroke…third stroke. One, two, three. It’s important that you do it by rote.

It might sound confusing but please try it...it will make you faster, more accurate, and more professional looking. Most importantly, you will see you have created a brace with both arms leaning against the table, and then while holding the client's hand, you are bracing your hands together with the client's hand and you have a nice firm grasp of the situation....you won't be able to shake this way.

Also...when practicing...do it over and over in red polish...just do one coat as you are only practicing for your "aim" and technique. If you do it for an hour a day you will be a pro at polishing before you know it. Just remember you want to go right up to the cuticle but not touch it. Take your time at first, but it will soon become second nature to you.

Thanks for that :)

I'll ask friends to watch me, desensitizing therapy :eek: :lol:

I forgot to say, I read Geeg's tutorial on polishing when I first joined and found it a massive help getting ready for my manicure module!

Latest posts

Back