Do you sculpt or tip?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimbabweep

Reaction score
Hey guys, me posting again I jst like to hear what other people do.

Do you sculpt more often than you tip? Or tip more than sculpt?

I sculpt about 90% of my clients nails a the others get predesigned tips just wondering if you do the same? Xxx

I usually sculpt. I feel that they look better.
I usually only use tips if the person has no free edge to work with.

I sculpt with everyone, I haven't used a tip for years! :green:

depends on circumstances ans what I am presented with, the die-hard sculptors may disagree, but many die hard sculpts can't buff in a tip to save themselves.

So we all have our faults, even though many many deny their faults.

I'm just an honest tipper/cum sculptor :)

Sculpts can look bloody ugly on some people.

I learnt with tips and I think currently for me, they are easier, but I love practicing sculpting, it just seems so much more artful and creative to me lol.

Would love to aim for sculpting mostly eventually but for now will be using tips.

depends on circumstances ans what I am presented with, the die-hard sculptors may disagree, but many die hard sculpts can't buff in a tip to save themselves.

Haven't seen you around for a while now! Where have you been?

See you haven't lost any of your charm! LOL!!!:green:

I do both depending on what's right for the client. It's not always possible to sculpt and then using tips is the way to go. It's horses for courses and I just go with what's infront of me.

I do both depending on what's right for the client. It's not always possible to sculpt and then using tips is the way to go. It's horses for courses and I just go with what's infront of me.

what typre of nails do you preffer to put tips on to? x

I have to agree with Carl on this, Some nails looked better tipped some better sculpted :)

Sometimes sculpt sometimes tip. This firstly depends on what I feel will suit the client best and secondly what mood I'm in! I like to be able to think that I am keeping competent at both so feel it helps if I do both.

Sometimes sculpt sometimes tip. This firstly depends on what I feel will suit the client best and secondly what mood I'm in! I like to be able to think that I am keeping competent at both so feel it helps if I do both.

Hmmmm not sure that should be a factor!

Really it comes down to what the client wants and how best to make nails that look beautiful...beit sculpting or tips....if done right both look fab. :hug:

what typre of nails do you preffer to put tips on to? x

It's not my preference but more whats needed to give the client the right service and a fab looking nail....

• Missing sidewalls: so I can correct the sidewalls..... I have a picture but its very small, but it will give you an idea..I would pre-tailor the tip, saddle it so it fits nice over the bulbous free edge.
  • Severe Ski slope nails: where I would have to adjust the form to an angle that would give me to much space between the tip and the form. Much better to use a tip and gelbond (fab gap filling adhesive) to give it a natural lower arch and less product bulk. This kind of nail need re-tipping once the slope become very obvious again.
  • Severe nail biters with big fat bulbous free edge..... much easier to saddle a tip and overlay with chosen product.

Just some of my reason for tipping a nail rather than sculpting.

Attachments

• CANIBAL.jpg
    CANIBAL.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 88
I think that you must be able to do both! :green:

You will be presented with different scenarios as Ruthie has shown.

Also, for example, some clients may have a corner!of the big toe missing - that more than likely will in my opinion need to be corrected by sculpting.

I think that it is probably easier to do reverse application with sculpting - that again is my opinion

As you can see, I like sculpting, but found when I first did a set of sculptured nails that sometimes they left some residue product where I hadn't fitted the form correctly and this used to really annoy me :eek:

For me then - it has to be in the main eerrrr

sculpting :green:

I think that you must be able to do both! :green:

You will be presented with different scenarios as Ruthie has shown.

Also, for example, some clients may have a corner!of the big toe missing - that more than likely will in my opinion need to be corrected by sculpting.

I think that it is probably easier to do reverse application with sculpting - that again is my opinion

As you can see, I like sculpting, but found when I first did a set of sculptured nails that sometimes they left some residue product where I hadn't fitted the form correctly and this used to really annoy me :eek:

For me then - it has to be in the main eerrrr

sculpting :green:

Totally agree you should be able to do both proficiently to provide a good service. i suppose it depends what you come across in everyday. I am fully booked with my regulars and have been for years so I don't get the diversity of nails that you would do in a high street salon or somewhere where there is a high turnover of clients for one reason or another. :green:

As always, I love Carl's honesty and I happen to be the same way and think the same way he does.

There are may technicians that like to think that saying they ONLY sculpt elevates them somehow above the 'ordinary' (whatever that is). I CALL THEM SCULPTING SNOBS :lol:. (not pointing the finger at anyone in this thread). I have seen much of the work they do and trust me they have nothing to be snobby about and probably should have used tips which at least have a nice shape to begin with.

As for tips not looking as nice as sculpts I absolutely disagree .. If I did a tip and a sculpt no one would be able to tell the difference by just looking ... and why would they be able to? If both are done excellently you cannot tell the difference .. neither is there any appreciable difference in wear either. Both are strong and beautiful.

Still there are times when it is better or easier or quicker to do one or the other and any good technician should be able to do both whenever asked, and equally well.

Me? I f someone particularly requests me to Sculpt then of course I will or tip and I will, but usually it is up to me and I do whichever is easiest and/or quickest for ME. The result is the same.

It's not my preference but more whats needed to give the client the right service and a fab looking nail....

• Missing sidewalls: so I can correct the sidewalls..... I have a picture but its very small, but it will give you an idea..I would pre-tailor the tip, saddle it so it fits nice over the bulbous free edge.
  • Severe Ski slope nails: where I would have to adjust the form to an angle that would give me to much space between the tip and the form. Much better to use a tip and gelbond (fab gap filling adhesive) to give it a natural lower arch and less product bulk. This kind of nail need re-tipping once the slope become very obvious again.
  • Severe nail biters with big fat bulbous free edge..... much easier to saddle a tip and overlay with chosen product.

Just some of my reason for tipping a nail rather than sculpting.

aah, now thats what I'm up against (on my own nail, oh the shame) My side wall on my index finger doesn't come all the way down. I managed a tip but only after taking the non-existant free edge back to nothing, even then the tip only just caught.

I'd love to sculpt it, I need to keep practicing sculpting, we were only shown it in my course, although I learnt more on here and from the internet about sculpting.

I'd like to be as proficient in both, its on my further training agenda :D

Im just learning and i do tips because thats what i was mostly shown. i aim to scult and practise alot. i admire somone who can form a full set it takes more skill to sculpt a blob of product into a elegant nail.I mean i know it depends on the client but I dont really get why some people call people who sculpt snobs? or think tipping is a art form or get real defensive if someone says they sculpt only. Its kind of funny

Latest posts

Back